Pies

Patriot

NES Member
Rating - 100%
141   0   0
I love pies. I make a kick-ass apple pie and today I made the second of two Coconut
Cream pies. This is made from scratch (broke the coconut, used the coconut milk,
grated the coconut meat). Unsweetened coconut is very different than the bags of
the sweetened stuff you buy already packaged.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My wife and I were in the local saloon one afternoon, and I was talking about baking a pecan pie for Thanksgiving. I went into considerable detail on that and my proposed sweet potato pie.

After we left, she said, "I didn't want to point it out, but those two guys at the end of the bar were looking at you kinda funny".

Wish I'd have known. I'd have looked thos boys square in the eye and said ... "Whattsa matter, boys? Dontcha'all bake pahs?!"

[thinking]

Having said that, that's one fine pie, BP. [grin]

Patriot

NES Member
Rating - 100%
141   0   0
My wife and I were in the local saloon one afternoon, and I was talking about baking a pecan pie for Thanksgiving. I went into considerable detail on that and my proposed sweet potato pie.

After we left, she said, "I didn't want to point it out, but those two guys at the end of the bar were looking at you kinda funny".

Wish I'd have known. I'd have looked thos boys square in the eye and said ... "Whattsa matter, boys? Dontcha'all bake pahs?!"

[thinking]

Having said that, that's one fine pie, BP. [grin]
That one is up next. A dark rum pecan pie...

And EC, being retired is awesome. I'm about to make my first Baked Ziti, made from
scratch Meatballs and Sauce, MilSurp's Kale soup, and blindndead's calçola (casurla)
sandwiches, amongst other stuff. I always wanted to do some cooking but never had
the time.

Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Excuse my French, but coconut cream pie is the chit...I can take or leave apple, but wild blueberry, (my specialty), lemon meringue (God I miss my Mom) and coconut cream pie are my three favorites...I have not had a lemon meringue pie that compares to my moms since before her death in 1996. Some have come close, but nobody has ever nailed it. Maybe because it was my mom, but that meringue was something else....

Patriot

NES Member
Rating - 100%
141   0   0
Excuse my French, but coconut cream pie is the chit...I can take or leave apple, but wild blueberry, (my specialty), lemon meringue (God I miss my Mom) and coconut cream pie are my three favorites...I have not had a lemon meringue pie that compares to my moms since before her death in 1996. Some have come close, but nobody has ever nailed it. Maybe because it was my mom, but that meringue was something else....
My wife wants me to make her a lemon meringue pie. Maybe I will look for a recipe...

(No Mom's pies have never been matched by anyone! [smile])

colt_fan

NES Member
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
That looks like store bought crust to me... Be sure to get nice thick pie tins, perforated ones make crust a little lighter and fluffier.

2 1/2 cups flour sifted
1/4 cup lard
2 sticks of butter
1/2 tsp of salt
1 tsp sugar
8-10 tbs of ice water

Patriot

NES Member
Rating - 100%
141   0   0
That looks like store bought crust to me... Be sure to get nice thick pie tins, perforated ones make crust a little lighter and fluffier.

2 1/2 cups flour sifted
1/4 cup lard
2 sticks of butter
1/2 tsp of salt
1 tsp sugar
8-10 tbs of ice water
It is. I just ran out of time and had one in the freezer so I used it. Damn snow shoveling
used up my baking time this morning! [smile]

ETA: I use the crust recipe that is on the end flap of the Oscar Meyer lard.
I make it by hand as it always seems (to me) to be better than making it in
the mixer. The OM recipe is for one crust, so you just double it for a two
crust pie. I also keep a couple of the unbaked store-bought crusts in the
freezer for those times when I just don't feel like making it.

Last edited:
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife wants me to make her a lemon meringue pie. Maybe I will look for a recipe... (No Mom's pies have never been matched by anyone! [smile])
From Joy of Cooking Book page 657) Sift into a 2 or 3 quart saucepan: 1 1/2 cups of sugar 6 Tablespoons Cornstarch 1/4 teaspoon salt Gradually blend in: 1/2 cup cold water 1/2 cup of fresh lemon juice (use 3-4 lemons) When smooth add, blending thoroughly: 3 well beaten egg yolks 2 Tablespoons butter Stirring constantly, gradually add: 1 1/2 cups of boiling water Bring the mixture to a full boil, stirring gently. As it begins to thicken, reduce heat and allow to simmer slowly for 1 minute. Remove from heat and stir in: 1 teaspoon of grated lemon peel Pour into the baked pie shell. Meringue topping (page 730) Preheat oven to 325 or 350 degrees. Whip until frothy: 2 egg whites Add 1/4 teaspoons cream of tartar. Whip until they are stiff but not dry; until they stand in peaks that lean over slightly when the beater is removed. Beat in 1 Tablespoon at a time: 3 Tablespoons of sugar or 4 Tablespoons of confectioner's sugar. DO NOT overbeat. Beat in 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla. Spread on pie and bake 10-15 minutes, depending on the thickness of the meringue. Spread the meringue lightly from the edges towards the center of the pie. To avoid shrinkage, cool meringue in a warm place, away from drafts. (I usually use all 3 whites from the eggs used in the lemon pudding. I increase the sugar by 1 1/2 Tablespoons and add another 1/4 teaspoon of vanilla.) You will love this recipe! You can use a store bought pie crust or really go all out and make one yourself. I have a recipe for a thin butter pie crust. I got it from Yankee Magazine, November of 1991 issue. It is taken from Jasper White's Cooking from New England. The secret is using Pastry Flour. I buy that from King Arthur Flour, mail order or .com. You can have success with regular flour but if you want a flaky crust, get the pastry flour. The following is for a double crust pie. If you're making one lemon meringue, half this recipe or forge ahead and make a second pie. The dough will keep in the freezer if wrapped tightly. 2 cups of Pastry Flour 1/2 teaspoon salt (12 Tablespoons) that is 1 1/2 sticks of UNSalted butter, cold and about 7 Tablespoons of ice cold water. Mix together the flour and salt. Cut the butter into tablespoon sized pieces. Mix the flour and butter together using your hands, until the butter begins to break up. When the flour starts to pick up the color of the butter, add the water, a bit at a time and mix until the dough starts to come together. Use just enough water to make the dough stick together, not necessarily all 7 Tablespoons. Remove the dough from the bowl and knead slightly. Wrap it in wax paper or plastic wrap and refrigerate immediately. Allow the dough to rest for 30 minutes. When ready to roll out, divide it in 2. Roll one half out in a circle to fit your 9 inch pie pan about 1/4 inch thick. Bake in a pre-heated oven at 375 degrees for 20 minutes, weighted down, then remove the weights and continue to bake for an additional 15 minutes or until golden brown. Best regards.

Last edited:

Fixxah

NES Member
Rating - 100%
41   0   0
Apple pie is the best. My MIL makes a good pie too but one time before I was married she had me over for dinner and three of her five cats were on the counter preening themselves next to the pie and when dessert arrived there were cat hairs in my pie.[puke]

I only eat there when it is pool weather and I can watch the cooking on the grill.[wink]

Sorry about the threadjack my friend. Back to the show.

Patriot

NES Member
Rating - 100%
141   0   0
From Joy of Cooking Book page 657) Sift into a 2 or 3 quart saucepan: 1 1/2 cups of sugar 6 Tablespoons Cornstarch 1/4 teaspoon salt Gradually blend in: 1/2 cup cold water 1/2 cup of fresh lemon juice (use 3-4 lemons) When smooth add, blending thoroughly: 3 well beaten egg yolks 2 Tablespoons butter Stirring constantly, gradually add: 1 1/2 cups of boiling water Bring the mixture to a full boil, stirring gently. As it begins to thicken, reduce heat and allow to simmer slowly for 1 minute. Remove from heat and stir in: 1 teaspoon of grated lemon peel Pour into the baked pie shell. Meringue topping (page 730) Preheat oven to 325 or 350 degrees. Whip until frothy: 2 egg whites Add 1/4 teaspoons cream of tartar. Whip until they are stiff but not dry; until they stand in peaks that lean over slightly when the beater is removed. Beat in 1 Tablespoon at a time: 3 Tablespoons of sugar or 4 Tablespoons of confectioner's sugar. DO NOT overbeat. Beat in 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla. Spread on pie and bake 10-15 minutes, depending on the thickness of the meringue. Spread the meringue lightly from the edges towards the center of the pie. To avoid shrinkage, cool meringue in a warm place, away from drafts. (I usually use all 3 whites from the eggs used in the lemon pudding. I increase the sugar by 1 1/2 Tablespoons and add another 1/4 teaspoon of vanilla.) You will love this recipe! You can use a store bought pie crust or really go all out and make one yourself. I have a recipe for a thin butter pie crust. I got it from Yankee Magazine, November of 1991 issue. It is taken from Jasper White's Cooking from New England. The secret is using Pastry Flour. I buy that from King Arthur Flour, mail order or .com. You can have success with regular flour but if you want a flaky crust, get the pastry flour. The following is for a double crust pie. If you're making one lemon meringue, half this recipe or forge ahead and make a second pie. The dough will keep in the freezer if wrapped tightly. 2 cups of Pastry Flour 1/2 teaspoon salt (12 Tablespoons) that is 1 1/2 sticks of UNSalted butter, cold and about 7 Tablespoons of ice cold water. Mix together the flour and salt. Cut the butter into tablespoon sized pieces. Mix the flour and butter together using your hands, until the butter begins to break up. When the flour starts to pick up the color of the butter, add the water, a bit at a time and mix until the dough starts to come together. Use just enough water to make the dough stick together, not necessarily all 7 Tablespoons. Remove the dough from the bowl and knead slightly. Wrap it in wax paper or plastic wrap and refrigerate immediately. Allow the dough to rest for 30 minutes. When ready to roll out, divide it in 2. Roll one half out in a circle to fit your 9 inch pie pan about 1/4 inch thick. Bake in a pre-heated oven at 375 degrees for 20 minutes, weighted down, then remove the weights and continue to bake for an additional 15 minutes or until golden brown. Best regards.
Thanks Riverside!

Last edited:
Top Bottom