• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

pics of my latest cannon project- finally done! :)

This is the cannon I used to play with when I was with the Lafayette Artillery out of Lyndeborough, N.H. I was their captain for six years. It is an original 1844 made Model 1841 six-pounder. Sometimes we would fire softballs. this pic was taken when we were at an event in Orwell, Vermont.
Lafayette Artillery.jpg

have to share completion of my latest project. been out on disability for spine surgery a couple months now with some time on my hands, been spending more time on my lathe / mill - finished my salute cannon that I started years ago and just too busy to dedicate time on finishing it. 100% handmade on my lathe & mill, the brass is 5" across by 12" long with a 1 3/4" bore / 1" gunpowder well at the bottom- solid naval brass. all stainless steel, pewter and brass accents. brass trunnion and trunnion caps, oak sled carriage, 6" oak wheels with 3/4" brass axle and axle pins. has a stainless & brass fuse holder with a pewter skull fuse cap- (to keep the fuse from burning the oak)
I fired it yesterday (loaded with "ffg" blackpowder and newspaper wadding) it was truly magnificent! a deep thunderous crack that echoed for several seconds around the lake - it weighs about 55 - 60lbs. my neighbor saw (heard) it and now I'm making him one! you can probably hear this thing 2 miles away lol
That, sir, is a gorgeous piece of craftsmanship.

Ars longa, vita brevis!​

Beautiful work. I couldn't help but notice, you've got a loose cannon:D how far back did it roll? The inlaid coins are such a nice detail. Thanks for sharing.

Beautiful work. I couldn't help but notice, you've got a loose cannon:D how far back did it roll? The inlaid coins are such a nice detail. Thanks for sharing.
yep. i figured 8' of deck would be long enough- however, it had some force behind it and the wheels roll pretty darn good on the axle lol- that sound heard at the end of the video was the cannon rolling off the first step- but it's fine. the sled carriage i made on the previous cannon only went back a few inches but it was 1/2 the size of this cannon. i dont like to block in the cannon- all that energy needs a place to go and allowing the cannon to roll back alleviates the stress on the carriage and trunnions- tho, next time i will place a bag of sand or pellets a few feet behind it- every new cannon is a learning curve 😉

it's the "granite" model by smithy with the 42" bed. it's their largest model.
Smithy are having a Black Friday sale for those who want to follow in @beergut ’s footsteps. All it probably takes is several thousand dollars and many years of experience. (And yes I did go to their website to see what it would cost, but at my age I probably don’t have enough time left to develop the skill level:))

Smithy are having a Black Friday sale for those who want to follow in @beergut ’s footsteps. All it probably takes is several thousand dollars and many years of experience. (And yes I did go to their website to see what it would cost, but at my age I probably don’t have enough time left to develop the skill level:))
yeah- i probably have about 10k - 12k into the machine and tooling. but it has paid for itself 😉 i have friends who have probably over 100k in their cnc lathe & mill setup- but they're making a living with their shop, I'm just a hobbyist.
last year i also did a form 1 suppressor (I'm in nh) for my .300 blackout and it came out awesome 😁

yeah- i probably have about 10k - 12k into the machine and tooling. but it has paid for itself 😉 i have friends who have probably over 100k in their cnc lathe & mill setup- but they're making a living with their shop, I'm just a hobbyist.
last year i also did a form 1 suppressor (I'm in nh) for my .300 blackout and it came out awesome 😁
Yeah, when I was looking at it I was thinking, “gee that thing is less than I paid for the Barrett, and it is probably way more useful”. But I figured by the time you get all the accouterments you'd probably be over 10K, which you confirmed. My real problem would be lack of skill:(. I’ve done a fair amount of woodworking, but the only metal work I’ve done is with 80% lowers.

Beautiful work. I like to use stale hot dog buns for wadding, good compression and no cleanup.
🤔

My junior high school metal shop teacher was Jewish.

One time he used flour for parting powder
when casting an aluminum item in the shop foundry.

He said that when he removed the cast item,
the sand form was lined with the world's thinnest matzoh.

Back
Top Bottom