• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Pico Balloons, Ham Radio & the USAF

Knob Creek

NES Member
I had no idea these were a thing. Ham Radio clubs build these and launch them. And then wait for the Air Force to use a $200 Million Dollar Aircraft to shoot it down with a $430,000.00 rocket.

'The Pico Balloon concept is simple: you build a transmitter small enough to be carried around by one or two common party balloons. As the transmitter floats around the globe it transmits its current position and altitude so you can follow its path in realtime. If you do it right, the balloon will circumnavigate the globe… repeatedly.'

K1FM Pico Balloon – Part One – K1FM.us

'Thank you for visiting our website. Below you will find a little history of our group and information about our current flights. We are now tracking Pico Balloon KD9UQB launched from Antarctica on November 24th 2022. To follow this balloon in flight please visit our Locate and Track Page.

Since our first launch we have flown 25 balloons (actually a little more, we kept some flights to ourselves). Six ended up in trees (we found a fix for that). Six balloons never said hello (we think we have a fix for that). We had eight balloons that traveled the United States. We had nine balloons that left the United States. We had three balloons that almost made it around the world. We have two balloons flying around the world. AA6DY that has made it around the world three times and still flying. K9YO has made it around the world twice and still flying.'

Northern Illinois Bottlecap Balloon Brigade

'Cruz, R-Texas, joked that Biden’s decision to authorize the $200 million fighter jet to use a $400,000 missile to shoot down what may have been a $12 balloon serves as a "powerful deterrence" to high school students interested in creating their own at-home science balloons.'

Cruz responds after Biden allegedly authorized $200 million fighter jet to shoot down $12 science project

Last edited:
I had no idea these were a thing. Ham Radio clubs build these and launch them.
They've been launching balloons for decades, as have people involved in other hobbies.

It was never an issue until the Chinese sent a massive balloon with a several-KW solar array across the continental US. Now authoritarians will be calling for more laws.

If anyone is local to Natick, MA.

We used to buy 1960s surplus Radiosondes at the Army-Navy in Iowa at ISU for a few dollars - they came with balloons and little canisters to fill them. We’d blow them up, write sh*t on them and let them go. Our receiver rarely worked…

Below you will find a little history of our group and information about our current flights. We are now tracking Pico Balloon KD9UQB launched from Antarctica on November 24th 2022. To follow this balloon in flight please visit our Locate and Track Page.
Link doesn't work.

Now that they're shooting them down I want to do this.
I'd be willing to throw in a few bucks towards a "NES Pico Balloon". Sounds fun. Maybe even 2 at once ;-) , just in case one had issues, plus we could see how their paths might differ. Maybe launch around the same time from 2 different New England locations.

Link doesn't work.

I'd be willing to throw in a few bucks towards a "NES Pico Balloon". Sounds fun. Maybe even 2 at once ;-) , just in case one had issues, plus we could see how their paths might differ. Maybe launch around the same time from 2 different New England locations.
Someone or some agency took down the whole site.

Back
Top Bottom