Picking up Bow Hunting now

DJBrad

NES Member
So my first year of hunting with shotgun yielded 2 deer and I’ll continue that going forward but I was given a Bass Pro gift card and with that I purchased a Diamond Infinite Edge Pro.
4E274E56-04AA-4E56-8096-E652DE886F30.jpeg

Any tips on gettin it tuned? I don’t think I’ll be spending the money to add many accessories or buy tuning parts like a bow flex or whatever. I’d just like to take it to someone to get it going and hunting ready. If anyone wants to give me a hand that would be great too! Got all year before October to start..... I don’t mind paying a pro to tune it either. I figure you gotta pick your battles when diy. I processed my deer start to finish on my own so I consider the coin saved to be fit enough to get this bow going.

Last edited:
Bass pro doesn't set it up ? Cabelas does but I dunno how good they are. My co worker didn’t take my advice of going to a archery shop and bought a bow at Cabelas and had to bring it back 3 times with issues of peep moving wrong draw length etc.
Archery is great for bit by the big last year til my first deer and love shooting in the backyard after work great stress relief.
Good luck and enjoy

Yeah I second that. I purchased a bow this year at Cabela's. They set it up but it wasn't a hundred percent. After two round trips to Cabela's. A total of 6 hours driving. I said F this I'm not going back. I made an appointment up at kittery trading Post. The guy spent at least an hour with me probably more. He had the bow set up perfect. He tide a kisser button in and I was good to go. I like Cabela's but I will never purchase another bow there. They just don't have the experience the guys at kittery or other archery shops do. I also purchased $200.00 worth of arrows. The guy at kittery said they should have been cut an 1 1/4 shorter.

Last edited:
Take it to a real archery shop and have them set it up. It will cost money but nothing ridiculous and it’s worth it to know your equipment is true. They can also help you on arrow selection, which is important for specific goals

Go to Reedy's in Middleboro.

-draw length
-peak weight of bow
-correct arrow length and spine
-weight of field points/broadheads
-stabilizer
-drop away arrow rest
-proper form
-basic tuning will work until you are consistent in form
-practice
-practice
-practice

and don't forget practice.

Last edited:
By the time you are proficient, you will be able to fine tune things. Don't get sucked into buying every gadget there is. It is the archer, not the equipment.

I would suggest getting two releases so you have a backup. String loop and peep sight too. Good luck.

And if you are not in a rural area, make sure your neighbors like you. Same rules apply as a firearm.

Nevermind. Looks like you have everything.

When you get into making your own arrows, let me know. I have some jigs I can't use anymore. I am non-righty as well. Watch lots of videos on form. You will be a good shot in no time.

Okay, I am done. Lol

Did they measure you for draw length/arrow length? Diamond has a really good web site for beginners tips.
It was ordered online and shipped. I’ll comb their website again for those tips.
Bass pro doesn't set it up ? Cabelas does but I dunno how good they are. My co worker didn’t take my advice of going to a archery shop and bought a bow at Cabelas and had to bring it back 3 times with issues of peep moving wrong draw length etc.
Archery is great for bit by the big last year til my first deer and love shooting in the backyard after work great stress relief.
Good luck and enjoy
It was an online purchase and I maybe should have searched NES more thoroughly as I do with all things before I buy, ha!
Yeah I second that. I purchased a bow this year at Cabela's. They set it up but it wasn't a hundred percent. After two round trips to Cabela's. A total of 6 hours driving. I said F this I'm not going back. I made an appointment up at kittery trading Post. The guy spent at least an hour with me probably more. He had the bow set up perfect. He tide a kisser button in and I was good to go. I like Cabela's but I will never purchase another bow there. They just don't have the experience the guys at kittery or other archery shops do. I also purchased $200.00 worth of arrows. The guy at kittery said they should have been cut an 1 1/4 shorter.

Good info and I will try to search out a shop nearby in Central Ma.
Take it to a real archery shop and have them set it up. It will cost money but nothing ridiculous and it’s worth it to know your equipment is true. They can also help you on arrow selection, which is important for specific goals

Will do, thnx! I don’t mind spending the money.
Where do you live?
Worcester
Go to Reedy's in Middleboro.

-draw length
-peak weight of bow
-correct arrow length and spine
-weight of field points/broadheads
-stabilizer
-drop away arrow rest
-proper form
-basic tuning will work until you are consistent in form
-practice
-practice
-practice

and don't forget practice.
Gotta focus on those points you laid out.
By the time you are proficient, you will be able to fine tune things. Don't get sucked into buying every gadget there is. It is the archer, not the equipment.

I would suggest getting two releases so you have a backup. String loop and peep sight too. Good luck.
I’ve seen many videos with the finger releases and I like those a lot.
And if you are not in a rural area, make sure your neighbors like you. Same rules apply as a firearm.
Will be practicing at the club range.
Did you just buy the bow?
Got it yesterday online.
Nevermind. Looks like you have everything.

When you get into making your own arrows, let me know. I have some jigs I can't use anymore. I am non-righty as well. Watch lots of videos on form. You will be a good shot in no time.

Okay, I am done. Lol
Thnx Fixxah!

Archery Plus in Spencer he has a range right in the store.
Bobs gun and Archery in Webster
Would call ahead and see if they work on that particular bow

My advice to beginners is to go to a good archery store that measures you and has you shoot. Throw the name of the bow out the window and go with the bow that feels right and fits you. I’ve shot most brands and will tell you the 2400 setup is not leaps above the 800. Fit your hunting style as well, lots of hiking? Short range mostly? Like a slightly heavy versus light? Single or double cam? Again a good archery store is best. Big ALS, Lakeside, etc. Good Luck

on a side note once you have your measurements you can make great buys on craigslist buying year old high end bows for the cheap and then get them tuned and set up for you.

My son was in joad for 4 years before he took a shine on rowing crew and moved onto that.

Finding a good expert to fit the bow to you is crucial. Crucial!

After that it's all on you...... consistent consistent form is what gets arrows on the bullseye.

There is nothing like hunting deer with a bow. The weather is great, the foliage is awesome, and you get to start much earlier. In Connecticut you can start on September 15th.

As others have said, fit is everything. You need to go to a good local shop to get setup properly.

Some lessons are also a good idea to get started off on the right foot.

Bob

If you really really want to get it dialed in, the best way is to do it yourself... Reedy's is good though. But even then - I got my first bow there, spent the time, etc and it was probably only 80% of where it needed to be... Once I got into tuning, got my own bow press, arrow saw, bitz fletching jig, etc, etc, and did things entirely on my own did things get to where they needed to be IMHO..

Reedy's will get the draw length set up, get the peep in the right spot, etc... But fine-tuning - they don't do that either...

The Ranch Fairy has some good arrow and bow tuning vids on youtube. Last Chance Archery has some informative vids as well... My personal beliefs and practices tend to line up with the Ranch Fairy more. LC Archery, Nock On, etc are good too. But I like the Ranch Fairy... He's more of a tune the arrow to the bow, not tune the bow to the arrow kind of approach.

My wife is anxious to get into archery as our local club just opened a new indoor, 24 hour/day archery range. Where could we find a "good" archery shop in the North Andover, MA area? I know nothing at all about archery or even where to start. Went up to Bass Pro in Hookset, NH today for some advice (which was helpful) but we'd like to find a local shop that can be our go to place. I've got shoulder issues and I'm considering getting into archery as well only with a cross bow.

Hey,

Archery Plus is the closest to you. Hes an OK guy, but really moody and sometimes acts like your taking his time up.

I would go up to Jaffrey NH to Pelletiers I' usually buy closeout bows, and they treat me well for setup, no matter where I bought the bow. They do a great job setting up to, very professional. They will get it shooting thru paper mint, really do a fancy job on the peep setup, etc. Minimal charge for the service.

The Infinite Edge is very easy to set Draw Length and Poundage by yourself really.

Where the shop comes in, if your new, is Youll need to get arrows that will tune to your setup Setting the peep is the thing you'll need a press for in most cases.

Most rests and sights are good, its personal preference. I shoot a whisker biscit type and love it, and the simplicity and fail safe of it. Some love the dropaway.....but for hunting with most shots 30 yards and in the biscut has never failed me. What ever you get make sure it holds the arrow for you while your stalking, sitting, drawing.....nothing like an arrow slapping off a rest to scare the daylights out of a deer.

Sights...theres a of them.....even the cheaper ones at wal mart are perfectly fine for hunting.

You start messing around shooting targets and long distance then you can empty your wallet, but for shots 30 yards and in for hunting.....no need to buy fancy shit, buy solid shit that won't break.

Last edited:
Thnx for the info guys! I’m not opposed to tuning it myself. As time goes on I’m sure to change my mindset. I figure this bow is a good start since it was pretty much bought and paid for with the gift card. I found that Cabelas in Hudson will do the setup for free. I’m not expecting much from that but we’ll see how it goes and I can see what process they go through. I’m sure I can find arrows there to suit this bow as well. Adjusting the draw and poundage do look easy as I combed through the manual. Set at a stock 26” is way short for me and at the max 31” it may, no, it’ll have to be just right or it’s gonna get returned. I found out after the fact that this is really a kids bow or wife bow, lol. If lop of my long guns plays into it at all, I’m at 15”.

Last edited:
Thnx for the info guys! I’m not opposed to tuning it myself. As time goes on I’m sure to change my mindset. I figure this bow is a good start since it was pretty much bought and paid for with the gift card. I found that Cabelas in Hudson will do the setup for free. I’m not expecting much from that but we’ll see how it goes and I can see what process they go through. I’m sure I can find arrows there to suit this bow as well. Adjusting the draw and poundage do look easy as I combed through the manual. Set at a stock 26” is way short for me and at the max 31” it may, no, it’ll have to be just right or it’s gonna get returned. I found out after the fact that this is really a kids bow or wife bow, lol. If lop of my long guns plays into it at all, I’m at 15”.

The set up is all in the technician.

Years ago I bought a new Hoyt at DSG and the tech there set it up for me. He was an archery freak and had a ton of experience at a local archery shop prior. He did a great job.

Bob

Technically the Infinite Edge is a Kids bow because its so adjustable. However, its perfectly fine for a hunting bow. Its actually a good one to start with, because if you want to sell or trade it if you want to move up, or don't like archery....., its adjustability lends itself to a larger market of people to buy it.

Bows like the Edge that are good for adjustability are technically not as great for shootability, quietness, and efficient design like the pro shop bows are.

To add onto what Mark said, it's not a bad idea to get a bow like that for your first bow. You're going to want to play with some of those adjustments to get it just right for you. The draw length is the big one. Once you know exactly how you like it set, then your next bow (THERE WILL BE A NEXT ONE, you didn't stop at 1 gun did you) can be something that is from the factory and has the better-tuned cams for your exact dimensions.

I've always setup my bows myself (nock/d-loop, peep, sight, paper tuning) using a minimal investment in tools. Getting it dialed in was part of the enjoyment for me.

Today I picked up a Mathews VXR but let the shop take care of the basics. No shame, but it did feel like I was leaving out some of the archery experience.

Not to hijack... but hijack.

Got around to messing with my new bow (Mathews VXR 28), and damn that thing is smooth. Ultra quiet and super steady. With an Ultrarest and 3-pin sight, it weighs 5.10 lb. My 2009 Bear Truth 2, with Whisker Biscuit, 3-pin sight and quiver mount, weighs 5.08 lb. Now I've got to get a chronograph to justify my upgrade.

Took my bow to Cabelas today and got it tuned for free. The bow guy Jim was extremely helpful. He tuned it well and installed my peep sight. Now these were the first ever shots from a bow for me. After some minor adjustments I was in the bullseye at 13 yards 4 out of 5 shots.

I have a lot of practice to perform now. He set it for 52 lbs and 29” lop for me. I felt it was maybe a little short still but he observed me shoot about 20 arrows and helped me get good point contact hand/cheek/and nose. He said it looked good for lop and poundage. I feel to maybe add a bit more lbs when I practice more and my muscle memory kicks in.

Some observations:
My first shots on each grouping was very accurate. I was at ease. After that I pulled a few. I realize I need keep the cheek meld very consistent. Using the peep sight with the many points of contact is going to take some time getting used to. I am surprised by how complicated this is in regards to my former perception of archery. Put this all together and then sit in a saddle or stand being ultra quiet under pressure? Lol

Got myself 12 arrows with field tips, a field target, and a hook release. Here we go!

Very nice. Consistency is everything when it comes to archery.

Take a ruler and measure the distance from the peep to a fixed point on the bow, mark it on the ruler, put the ruler in your bow case, and get in the habit checking it regularly. The peep can move up and down the string occasionally and it will change the POI.

Buy a second release and put it in your hunting backpack. You will forget it one day. I guarantee it.

Bob

I weighed this bow minus just the arrows and its giving me 4 lbs 5 oz. Very light! Put 5 arrows with broadheads and it might be just over 5 lbs.

Back
Top Bottom