Picking up Bow Hunting now

Lol. I’m not weak by any means but I do have to practice, practice, practice my draw. I set my bow to the max at 70 lbs and I was able to draw back 5 times. 6th time was whoa.....lol

I’m going to keep up with the field tips at this poundage so that those muscles that don’t get the flexing get to flexing more.

Shooting lower poundage and getting correct form is perhaps more important than cranking it up. Most any adult guy can handle 60 pounds and that will shoot thru lungs easily. Its all Ive ever hunted with and I've killed around 100 deer very easily with 60#.

Like someone said, if you crank it up to 70, your arrows spine is probably not going to work ideally for that poundage. Unless the Cabela's guy set you up with overly stiff arrows. Add to that, those very adjustable bows probably are not too comfortable of a draw cycle at high poundage.....they are engineered and meant to adjust, not to be smooth.

I know your doing it to strenghten your draw muscles, but don't get hung up on draw weight, make sure your arrows match and you can comfortably draw without a ton of movement after sitting a cold ass stand for hours. You should be able to hold the bow in your bow arm, and just pull straight back to draw. If your doing all sorts of gyrations to get it back or pointing the bow up at the sky to draw. your overbowed.......the deer will see you and be showing you its ass before your even done drawing.

Speaking to draw, technique makes a huge difference with regard to ease/efficiency while drawing back. And doing it properly will help avert injury. However, as it's been repeated here, that 70 lb isn't so easy when your muscles are cold, and you've got to contort yourself in a tree stand while minimizing movement.

From a few rounds I can tell I may need to move the sight to the left just a bit. Most of my shots were slewed a bit left of center.

Nice. It was a beautiful day to shoot the bow.

It won’t be long and you will be shooting silver dollar size groups. Make sure that you gently flex those arrows after pulling them from the target. Carbon arrows can, and will, crack and occasionally develop splinters. Bad things happen when cracked or splintered arrow is shot.

Robin hoods are cool the first time or two but they are expensive. You will be better served shooting one arrow at each bullseye in the long run.

Bob

Nice. It was a beautiful day to shoot the bow.

It won’t be long and you will be shooting silver dollar size groups. Make sure that you gently flex those arrows after pulling them from the target. Carbon arrows can, and will, crack and occasionally develop splinters. Bad things happen when cracked or splintered arrow is shot.

Robin hoods are cool the first time or two but they are expensive. You will be better served shooting one arrow at each bullseye in the long run.

Bob
Already left one arrow at the club and sent one yesterday into the dirt. I was much more careful after that!

Not a bad video. I think that is pretty much my technique.
I got back into the game last year at age 55 after a 30 year break. Shot hundreds of arrows over the summer at 60lbs.
I plan to go up to 65lbs soon which i think is adequate as personally I don't plan on taking a shot beyond 30 yards at a big game animal.
I joined a gym recently and subconsciously I find most of my lifting is archery enhancing related....
Going out west in September; in training presently.

70° today

I pretty much picked up that technique right away. I’m used to acknowledging proper practice working muscle groups and if something feels off you have to try a different maneuver to maximize the power.

I was out yesterday for about an hour and shot about 50 shots. Lost 2 more arrows that day, lol. I was hitting bullseyes at 15 yards on the small perimeter targets on the block so I’m enjoying this much more now.

Back
Top Bottom