• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

picked up my garand from fedex monday

i've finally got around to taking pictures

garand.jpg

garand2.jpg

i looked up the serial numbers and from what i found it was manufactured between 1953 and 1957. Springfield Armory M1 Garand with HRA trigger group.

i won't be able to get around to shooting it until saturday morning...needless to say i cannot wait

total amount of time from mailing application to rifle in hand: a day under 2 months

Last edited:
Wonderful looking rifle, how much cleaning was required? Going by your timeline, I have about six weeks to get mine.

it didn't have as much cosmoline on it as i had thought it would. i wish i got pictures of it but i was far to excited. it took me a couple of hours to get everything cleaned off and wiped down. but since this is my first surplus rifle i'm still finding little bits of grease i missed here and there

it's a service grade, the bore was clean as a whistle when i got it and the wood looks great with only minor dents in it...took it to the range today, only had time for 8 en blocs worth of ammo and she shot beautifully, first rounds down range hit low and to the right (I was surprised). definitley worth the wait, the fiancé even said she wanted one of her own

took it to the range today, only had time for 8 en blocs worth of ammo and she shot beautifully, first rounds down range hit low and to the right (I was surprised)
Of course, since you went to an Appleseed Shoot, you WERE able to zero it properly... right?

Gorgeous rifle, BTW. Very nice. Just beware... it's damned addicting to shoot!

Of course, since you went to an Appleseed Shoot, you WERE able to zero it properly... right?

Gorgeous rifle, BTW. Very nice. Just beware... it's damned addicting to shoot!

oh you are right sir!...only problem is the range was crowded so i didn't want to be sighting in the rifle with that many people there (i like my alone range time)

Looks great. High SN Springfields are becoming a collector's item on their own.

You can sell the HRA trigger group for substantially more than a period correct SA.

I got mine a couple weeks ago, put 8 rounds through it at 25 yards and basically had one hole about 1 1/2 inches all 8 shots were touching, moved it to 100 yards and put 16 more on an 8x8 without ever adjusting the sites.

Mine is also SA receiver with HRA trigger group, they are shipping some very nice rifles.

it does have a "P" stamp on it but no numbers like yours, on the side is the Department of Defense Acceptance Stamp (Eagle with 3 stars) although very faint
OK, that's good, sounds like a USGI replacement stock although it might be original to the rifle: I had a high SN SA and researched it, but sold it so I don't remember what I learned about those. MY HRA's have a DAS.

Every time I shoot my Garand, I think I love it a little more. I was hella stressed the other night from some family drama, and took the M1 and a couple bandoliers to the range around 11pm, and after 5 minutes and 98 rounds of 30 cal, I was feeling like a million bucks.

Where can you shoot a rifle at 11PM? Sign me up! My range only has an outdoor range for rifles that closes at dusk. I agree with you though, out of all my guns my M1 is my favorite to shoot.

Where can you shoot a rifle at 11PM? Sign me up! My range only has an outdoor range for rifles that closes at dusk. I agree with you though, out of all my guns my M1 is my favorite to shoot.

Mass Rifle Association in Woburn. It's not my favorite club, but the 24-7 indoor range with almost no caliber restrictions makes it worth every penny.

Back
Top Bottom