• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Picked up my first Krag

Was doing a transfer and saw this Krag on the shelf. I've wanted one for a while but haven't seen any at a price I was willing to pay. I don't know much about them, I'm mostly interested in Garands, but I think I picked up a real gem.

Looks to be a mostly correct 1901, but let me know what you guys think.
Any ideas on the unit marking on the stock? Some limited research tells me it was from a NG unit. Anyone know which one?
Thanks!

Nice......is that stock original.....seems to darn nice to be. The. USA 1901 stamp looks like it was stamp today!
I'm in the same boat. I want one but interest go in other directions. I have a "price" in my head that I will pick up the right rifle for.
I need a 1903 and a wwII us property 1911 to round out my little collection before I dig into others.

Nice

It looks pretty original to me, the rifling is really nice. I'm thinking it wasn't used much, if at all, but wasn't stored in the greatest conditions.
I posted over on the CMP forum, someone else mentioned the stock's condition as well. Doesn't bother me too much if it's not original, just glad to have a nice example of one.
Any idea on the unit marking on the stock?

The stock almost looks "fake" ie stamped recently by a restorer. Several companies out there have the correct stamps to do good fakes. The stamps just look to crisp and clear and nice and squarely struck? Even still great looking rifle and at a price you wanted to pay.....how can you go wrong.

It looks beautiful, and those cartouches are goregeous.

It also looks to have the original and correct M1901 sight. Many people confuse these with the later M1905 sights for the '03 Springfield. The main differences are that the Krag sights have slope gradations for adjusting the sight when the sight is in the horizontal position, as well as a lever on the front of the sight.

5MadFarmers.com ? View topic - Rear sights.

8x58R? The rifle is a US Army rifle, so he wants 30-40 Krag.

OP, I don't know if you reload, but if you do pick up some gas-checked 311299 cast bullets (Riley's in Hooksett has some but you can find online), sized to about .003" larger than what your bore slugs to, and load them with about 16 grains of Alliant 2400 powder. You will be pleased with the results.

Last edited:
8x58R? The rifle is a US Army rifle, so he wants 30-40 Krag.

OP, I don't know if you reload, but if you do pick up some gas-checked 311299 cast bullets (Riley's in Hooksett has some but you can find online), sized to about .003" larger than what your bore slugs to, and load them with about 16 grains of Alliant 2400 powder. You will be pleased with the results.

Don't know where the OP lives, but The Barn Store up in Boscowen has some of the best .30-40 prices of any brick-and-mortar place I've been to at right around $30/box. IF you pay more than high $30's/box, you're getting raped. You can also get some online for around the same price, should you know where to look though you have to pay shipping.

I love my Krag! Start reloading for it. You'll no longer have to chase hard to find, over priced ammo. Plus you can customize it. Mine loves 230gr round nose bullets for example.

Back
Top Bottom