• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Picked up a Westinghouse mosin...

I'm aware of the story with these and was wondering of they are all kind of banged up even though they weren't delivered to the Russians?
DC9DDB4D-8095-41C9-A7A1-40FB1F752F98-11945-000011E4A64FC399_zpsc3ae74fa.jpg

078ADC7C-67FA-4B56-8CB5-00E38C2306E9-11945-000011E49FF922E3_zps33e82dee.jpg

It looks great to me! You have to expect a milsurp rifle is going to be banged up a little, even if it's just from pulling it out of the gun safe. The thing is almost 100 years old for goodness sake!

That's a fine acquisition - have a BLAST shooting it.

This is an early serial numbered gun from 1916 production (even though the barrel date is 1915), and was most certainly made while the Tsar's contract was still active.

99% chance that it had at least one boat ride during the Great War.

Interesting... It's non import marked so I assumed it never made the ride! Very cool thanks for the info guys! I only thought she was rough thinking she never saw service but if intact it did then I'm cool with that! I seem to be building quite the array of mosins! Lol only thing that's going to stop me from shooting it is there's an issue with the mag floor plate the clip that retains it in the closed position is loose and when the rifle is jarred it opens up.

- - - Updated - - -

Also it smells a bit like tobacco smoke lol

That rifle had already had 50 years on it before import stamps became law ( I think) I like these guns.

The very odd stamp that is placed over the top of the scrubbed Russian Eagle would suggest an import source other than Finland, as they rarely scrubbed and restamped barrel shanks. But please look for other Finnish traits, such as distance graduations stamped on the right side of the rear sight block, or a D or SA stamped on the barrel shank. IIRC, I've seen this gun here before, though??? And I don't recall that it has any Finn markings. But good to double check.

The most likely source of import would be from Spain. Russia provided military support to the Republicans during the Spanish Civil War, and many M91's were sent. The scrubbing and stamp on the shank could have come from Spain. But it is not a lock. Check for any Spanish marks on the stock, such as an MP-8 flaming bomb, or an MI-8 ink stamp under the buttplate.

Will check for other markings tonight as I haven't gotten a chance to really delve into it as of yet... I don't think it's been on here before though as this rifle just came from Illinois but one never knows! I will look for any further markings and try and get a picture up of them... Thanks for all the info guys I really appreciate it!

Back
Top Bottom