Picked up a ten pack of Baofeng BF888s UHF radios today.

Related question:

Can you talk to these BF888's with the UV5R?

How do these differ (or do they) from the GMS/FRS (or whatever it is) type of walkie talkie; or are they the same thing?

Related question:

Can you talk to these BF888's with the UV5R?

How do these differ (or do they) from the GMS/FRS (or whatever it is) type of walkie talkie; or are they the same thing?

Yes, You can talk UV5R to BF 888s and vice versa on UHF only.

The BF 888s is UHF (400-470mhz) only whereas the UV5R is both VHF (136-174mhz) and UHF(400-470mhz).

Both radios cover the same UHF spectrum so they are compatible in that spectrum.

Look up the GMRS and FRS bands and their related restrictions and save me some typing. All the info is already out there.

Ok, report on the BF888s radios.

Got them in a couple of days ago and programmed them all. The power output is just under 2w measured on a Telewave meter into a known good antenna for the test frequency.
Did you use Chirp?

Having a heck of a time programming the ones I recently picked up.

Running CHIRP on Linux. Granted, not the most recent daily but it works fine with all my other Baofeng radios.

Did you use Chirp?

Having a heck of a time programming the ones I recently picked up.

Running CHIRP on Linux. Granted, not the most recent daily but it works fine with all my other Baofeng radios.

Yes, a friend using CHIRP in Windows did them for me. Not familiar with Linux so I can't help you there.

Yes, a friend using CHIRP in Windows did them for me. Not familiar with Linux so I can't help you there.
Yeah, unable to use Chirp in Linux or Winders to read these things. Both are now using most recent version. Even tried the Miklor 888S software and that was a no-go.

I see a green indicator light when I try to read with Chirp which is frustrating; work, dangit!

Will order a new cable and see what that does.

Yeah, unable to use Chirp in Linux or Winders to read these things. Both are now using most recent version. Even tried the Miklor 888S software and that was a no-go.

I see a green indicator light when I try to read with Chirp which is frustrating; work, dangit!

Will order a new cable and see what that does.

I've had a bad cable before, it is frustrating especially with a radio with no manual keypad entry capability.

I must say, the radios are working well for me.

You'd hope that rigs designed for USB-based cables would be pretty straightforward.
USB is way more complex than serial lines,
but it might be harder to half-succeed by half-assing a design.

Owners of rigs programmed with serial cables,
in modern times where PCs don't come with serial ports,
have a huge problem: finding USB/serial converters that work.

One of the Yaesu rig Yahoo Groups (most likely a FT-857/FT-897 shrine)
once had an explanation for many of the problems:
two separate signal voltage level conversions - one bad.

Regular rig/serial cables had to convert between (roughly) 5V (TTL) levels on the rig side,
and 12V serial levels for the computer.

But USB/serial adapters had to convert between 12V on the serial side,
and the 5V USB- standard. It turns out that many USB serial adapters
used crap ChiCom chips that didn't bother boosting the USB 5V up to 12V,
and only swung their DB-9 serial port with a fraction of the serial standard voltage,
because some serial devices would work anyhow.

Not including cables for Yaesu rigs that translate the serial voltage to TTL.

So people trying to program their rigs
were re-enacting the wart cure scene in Tom Sawyer,
trying every superstitious thing to make electrically intact cables
with crap-designed ICs work with their PCs.
And this- or that-brand of USB adapter would get reviled or worshipped.

(For all I know, some brands worked or failed depending on
which batch of chips from which knock-off foundry
they were using on the assembly line that week).

One the other hand, one of these days someone will salt the Baofeng
factory with USB hardware/firmware that infect the customer PCs with a virus.
Then hilarity will ensue...

You'd hope that rigs designed for USB-based cables would be pretty straightforward.
USB is way more complex than serial lines,
but it might be harder to half-succeed by half-assing a design.

Owners of rigs programmed with serial cables,
in modern times where PCs don't come with serial ports,
have a huge problem: finding USB/serial converters that work.

One of the Yaesu rig Yahoo Groups (most likely a FT-857/FT-897 shrine)
once had an explanation for many of the problems:
two separate signal voltage level conversions - one bad.

Regular rig/serial cables had to convert between (roughly) 5V (TTL) levels on the rig side,
and 12V serial levels for the computer.

But USB/serial adapters had to convert between 12V on the serial side,
and the 5V USB- standard. It turns out that many USB serial adapters
used crap ChiCom chips that didn't bother boosting the USB 5V up to 12V,
and only swung their DB-9 serial port with a fraction of the serial standard voltage,
because some serial devices would work anyhow.

Not including cables for Yaesu rigs that translate the serial voltage to TTL.

So people trying to program their rigs
were re-enacting the wart cure scene in Tom Sawyer,
trying every superstitious thing to make electrically intact cables
with crap-designed ICs work with their PCs.
And this- or that-brand of USB adapter would get reviled or worshipped.

(For all I know, some brands worked or failed depending on
which batch of chips from which knock-off foundry
they were using on the assembly line that week).

One the other hand, one of these days someone will salt the Baofeng
factory with USB hardware/firmware that infect the customer PCs with a virus.
Then hilarity will ensue...

I take it your not a Baofeng fan?[thinking]

The only reason to be a Baofeng fan is the price.

I just purchased the UV-5RX3 at Boxboro due to price and to (for now) have one in NH and one (UV-5R) in MA. The new one is FCC approved. I also have the Yaesu FT-60R in NH and the Baofeng was having a static attack from my computer. The Yaesu wasn't affected at all sitting basically on top of the computer. Huge difference in cost and quality.

I just purchased the UV-5RX3 at Boxboro due to price and to (for now) have one in NH and one (UV-5R) in MA. The new one is FCC approved. I also have the Yaesu FT-60R in NH and the Baofeng was having a static attack from my computer. The Yaesu wasn't affected at all sitting basically on top of the computer. Huge difference in cost and quality.

Agree, but for the millions of people without those interference problems they suffice as perfectly adequate comms. I've had and still have expensive Icom, Yaesu, Kenwood, Motorola portables and fully realize the differences between them and Baofengs....but the Baofengs fulfill my needs just fine for inexpensive, virtually disposable handie talkies.
If I lose a Baofeng off my tractor or 4wheeler or my belt, I won't even go look for it, I'll take another one out of the box and put it in the charger.....and I'm out $20 or less. Lose one of the other brands and I'm out $150-$450.

New cable arrived. Still couldn't read from the radio. For the heck of it, tried writing. Boom, it worked. I can read from it now as well.

As for the Baofeng VS <insert better radio>, these were picked up specifically because they are cheap; I'm not handing my Yaesu radios off to a pack of kids in the woods. I have UV-5R's as well and when handing them off to folks who were used to blister-pack FRS/GMRS, they became overwhelmed by all the buttons. The 888S will serve their purpose as do the better radios.

New cable arrived. Still couldn't read from the radio. For the heck of it, tried writing. Boom, it worked. I can read from it now as well.

As for the Baofeng VS <insert better radio>, these were picked up specifically because they are cheap; I'm not handing my Yaesu radios off to a pack of kids in the woods. I have UV-5R's as well and when handing them off to folks who were used to blister-pack FRS/GMRS, they became overwhelmed by all the buttons. The 888S will serve their purpose as do the better radios.

Great!!!

Did you try the other cable as well just for the heck of it to see if it worked now?

Not from that you couldn't conclude it.

Word is they have hideous spectral purity on transmit.
And the ChiCom manual my cousin's husband showed me
was the most impenetrable thing I've ever seen.

But if and when I build my APRS kit,
I might well pick up a cheap 5W Baofeng to use as the transceiver.

I just purchased the UV-5RX3 at Boxboro due to price and to (for now) have one in NH and one (UV-5R) i....

Is this the latest version, the UV-5RX3? There's no UV-6R to take the place of the UV-5R? There are at least 4-7 different models of the UV-5R.

What’s better to get the 888’s or the UV5R’s

The UV5R is a better radio for sure, dual band, higher power output, larger battery options, field programmable from the front panel. I have 18 of them all programmed up and just bought a 6 gang charger for them.
I bought the BF888s for around the farm as hand outs. Cheap and effective.....that's all I was looking for. If one gets lost, it's about $7 to replace it.

The UV5R is a better radio for sure, dual band, higher power output, larger battery options, field programmable from the front panel. I have 18 of them all programmed up and just bought a 6 gang charger for them.
I bought the BF888s for around the farm as hand outs. Cheap and effective.....that's all I was looking for. If one gets lost, it's about $7 to replace it.

Thanks for the info!! I picked up two UV5R’s. Do I need the cable to program them? And I also read that the Antennas should be replaced for a better one?

Don't know. CHIRP wouldn't program any 220 freqs, so I'm only running dual band.

From CHIRP:

Use the Supported Radio Models list on the CHIRP home/wiki page as your guide. Choosing Vendor: Radioddity and Model: UV-5RX3 will get you support for the VHF/220/UHF bands.

Radioddity <-- Choose this for the Vendor
  • DB25 (Variant of QYT KT8900D)
  • GA-2S
  • GA-5S
  • R2
  • UV-5R EX
  • UV-5RX3 <-- Choose this for the Model
Jim KC9HI

Thanks for the info!! I picked up two UV5R’s. Do I need the cable to program them? And I also read that the Antennas should be replaced for a better one?

Yes, a cable is handy and you probably should just go ahead and get one, but you can program from the keypad.

The antenna is functional but some people opt for a longer one. There's lots of options just depends on your situation.

SO many choices.

I would like to get the latest and greatest in the series. I might like two, one for me and one for the father in law. I might as well get the charger and programming cord, right?

Is this a good deal, considering?

Amazon product ASIN B01HICB5M4View: https://www.amazon.com/Baofeng-Dual-Band-136-174-Programming-Software/dp/B01HICB5M4/ref=sr_1_4?crid=FC1GAD9YH3GD&keywords=baofeng+uv-5r&qid=1578712103&sprefix=baofeng+%2Caps%2C149&sr=8-4

With the chopped Engrish, it is hard to tell what is what. They are all variations on the same thing? Or not?

Oh, and in another thread, someone said these might get banned at some time. Is that true?

Thanks for any help.

Back
Top Bottom