Picked up a K98

Shevchenko

NES Member
Don't know a whole lot about rifles from this era, but I've always liked the K98 and when Pack and Postal posted their inventory and I saw a few listed I ventured over and picked up up my first piece of history. I notice the rear sight is removed and there's a ring sight on the rear, how much of a pain in the ass is it to find and install the standard rear sight

View: https://imgur.com/a/EV2UnX8

what is this pack and postal you guys speak about? has a familiar ring, have you mentioned it before?

pack and postal had inventory posted somewhere?

K98s are a lot of fun to shoot. Mine has a staked front sight but the rifle shoots a little to the left. I was going to try and adjust the front sight, but with it staked it's more of a PITA then it's worth. I just aim a little left and it's pretty damn accurate. Enjoy!

660 is Steyr, if I'm not mistaken, so it would have been made in Austria. I believe 660 is somewhat rare in terms of volume. Mine's a JP Sauer (ce 41).

Is the stock matching as well? Look for any markings around the stock disk. I would assume so given the multiple other matchings.

660 is Steyr, if I'm not mistaken, so it would have been made in Austria. I believe 660 is somewhat rare in terms of volume. Mine's a JP Sauer (ce 41).
Yep, I was just reading P&P's inv. list and it states it's Steyr made, I took a shitload of pics of all markings, some carving on the stock, i'll upload them in a bit

What I see looks good. Last year 660 code at Steyr. Visible band, floor plate, and bolt match. Rear sight can be replaced. Is that a Redfield rear sight? Is any metal drilled for it? Sling looks original too.
t

What I see looks good. Last year 660 code at Steyr. Visible band, floor plate, and bolt match. Rear sight can be replaced. Is that a Redfield rear sight? Is any metal drilled for it? Sling looks original too.
t
It is a redfield rear sight, not sure what may have been drilled for it tho. The inv. list from P&P says the sling is original, it certainly looks and feels right for the time

WTF how did I miss this !

Don't know a whole lot about rifles from this era, but I've always liked the K98 and when Pack and Postal posted their inventory and I saw a few listed I ventured over and picked up up my first piece of history. I notice the rear sight is removed and there's a ring sight on the rear, how much of a pain in the ass is it to find and install the standard rear sight

Nice
That rear sight is a blessing for target shooting.
The rear sight and sight and spring should be east to come by. That V notch rear sight “sucks” for all but the best of eyes!

Gun parts corp has the spring also
E1048D4B-2C6A-4605-9ED4-9887E15B1AAA.png

Last edited:
P&P was one of those places that I went too twice and they were closed during their advertised open hours. Never went back. Sounds like they may have that worked out.

P&P was one of those places that I went too twice and they were closed during their advertised open hours. Never went back. Sounds like they may have that worked out.
I will say to that point, the open sign was off but they were open, not sure if you tried the door but I was about to take off when I saw a guy go in. I got there at like 945am, I know they were appt only for a bit too. I dunno, I'd say give'm another chance, pm them on here if you're concerned about them being open or not, amazing collection in there

I will say to that point, the open sign was off but they were open, not sure if you tried the door but I was about to take off when I saw a guy go in. I got there at like 945am, I know they were appt only for a bit too. I dunno, I'd say give'm another chance, pm them on here if you're concerned about them being open or not, amazing collection in there
If you went 5 plus years ago it always had the illusion of being closed. I always tried the door.
Last time up brought the kids to great sucky wolf lodge and made the trip over. Door was open , no one in sight. I looked around for a bit when I heard a groggly voice. "We are closed for the summer and redoing the place"
He let me look around and said if I was interested in something leave my name and number and what I want.

Nice start to a wicked part of the hobby. Just saw you over in K98 Forum. A lot of guys here are very knowledgeable in the K98 field

Nice start to a wicked part of the hobby. Just saw you over in K98 Forum. A lot of guys here are very knowledgeable in the K98 field
made the same post on 3 or 4, took an hour for any response now my inbox..es are overflowing with info haha, very helpful folks all over the forums so far

Back
Top Bottom