• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Picked up a few radios for my farmer friends to get everyone on the air.

Uzi2

NES Member
We have a network of farmers here, a mutual aid group if you will that work for and help eachother out during the year with maintenance, planting, harvest, grain transport, emergency repair etc.
As payment for the work a few of them did in my fields recently, I bought some radios for their tractors and combines so everyone can be on the air during working times.
I opted for dual band VHF/UHF ultra compact radios in a ten watt version for the tractors and combines and 25 watt versions for their pickups.
Most commo is no more than a few miles and we do have a repeater set up on one ham's tower that cover's the areas that everyone farms.
image.jpeg
Both the 10w and 25w versions look identical and are front panel programmable. Since these guys are not "radio savvy" they will be programmed with the front panel disabled so they can't go off frequency to unauthorized frequencies.
Awaiting a dual band antenna to be tested around the area then an order for them will be placed. We are going with mag mounts so they can be moved from implement to implememt when needed.

If all works out, everyone will be on the air and it also serves as an emergency commo system if conventional lines go down.

Will also have NOAA weather freqs programmed as well as local LE(receive only) and a couple of local FM broadcast stations.
These radios are very versitile and also inexpensive.

25w version is TW-898uv

10w version is VV-898

Basically the same radios function wise, might even be the same finals. Waiting on the 10watt versions to be delivered Wed along with the test antenna and will see if they can be bumped up in power settings.

Just like "Building 19 &25/74ths" GOOD STUFF CHEAP.

Since these guys are not "radio savvy" they will be programmed with the front panel disabled so they can't go off frequency to unauthorized frequencies.
What specific frequencies do they use for Tractor Band radio?
That is, what radio service are the radios going to be used in?

Last edited:
I'm picturing a bunch of farmers hanging out in their parked tractors, twirling their hair, and kibbitsing. :)

Nice!

Even with comms working, cell phones can go dead or be forgotten. Used to help out on my Grandparents' 500 acre farm including some isolated fields, and a radio with decent range would have been great.

Update on the 10w version VV898 radios, I ended up sending all three back as defective, two had imtermittent power wires and the third one had no PTT indicator LED. Very, very disappointed in these radios.

I bought the 25w versions and they were all good to go.

Back
Top Bottom