• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Pick Me a Pump Shotgun

Looking for a 12 gauge pump shotgun for home defense.

$500 or so budget.

What do you recommend?

Thanks

I'm a fan of the Rem 870 line, but the Mossberg 500 JIC Marine in Stainless is good for less than ideal storage conditions, as is the 590 Mariner, but the SS may put you above your price point.

I don't think you can go wrong with an 870, although the newer production ones are not as nice as an older one IMHO

Meet with someone or take a class and try some out. Do you want a tang safety or button? Do you care about swapping barrels or chokes? Are you going to mount an optic or light? Is only one person going to use the shotgun or will someone else, like a spouse or kids?

M&B Sports (near Foxwoods) just got a Winchester Model 12 in 16 ga. No price or other details available. I saw it on the newly-arrived rack yesterday afternoon. FWIW, you can slam-fire the model 12, just hold the trigger on the first shot and pump away (same hole precision guaranteed, of course!).

Remingtons of the Cerberus era are terribly finished and rust very quickly. So I recommend a Mossy 590 (metal trigger guard).

870 or 500

But remy has had quality issues the last couple years....not sure if the new ownership will fix that

Yup, I love my 80s 870 wingmaster. Smooth as butter, beautiful wood and bluing.
Also have a mossberg 500, less refined but 100 percent reliable.

Can't go wrong with either.

I have a similar older 870 it is NICE. Not sure what they go for now but mine was bought a few years ago for at or less than a new bottom quality 870 price wise.

It came with a fixed choke barrel at IC, I put down a bit more money to get a new wingmaster barrel with changeable chokes so it was usable for shotgun sports.

Modern 870s are junk, just like everything Remington has been making. Go with a 500 or 590.

Bought new I would agree, though if someone just wants a generic shotgun to have around I do recommend older 870s that have some nice fit and wood.

For something tilting to the utility/tactical route mossberg is probably the way to go unless you are stepping up in price OP listed.

Modern 870s are junk, just like everything Remington has been making. Go with a 500 or 590.

I agree. That's why I commented you can get a good used one for less than $500. I picked up an early 90s for $350 a year ago. Basically unfired. The fit and finish are no where near as nice as older ones but functionally it works fine. That would be about the newest Remington I would buy.

Back
Top Bottom