PIC Thread: Would You Carry This?

fshalor

NES Member
This is a respect thread. This is a "don't advertise" thread. This is also a serious question and gut check thread.

1. Would you carry this?
2. Where, when, how and why?

All responses open. All "Covid Coaches" please take it to FaceTwitterGram.

Starting off with an old leather OWB holster which came to me from the 1980's. Add a J-frame. Originally intended for a longer barrel, but quite well-built.
"Hunter 1100 8 "

I don't know how old it is, but my only concern is, the trigger guard is OPEN in the center. (zoon in and see!)

I know. I've got a 637, and this holster is a size 8, but a size 6 would fit it better.

HOWEVER, the size 6 has the same cut-out which appears to allow a booger hook full access to the bang switch. I've listened to Pink Floyd's "Mother" a few times today, and I can't run that way! Not on a filled chamber anyway. Thoughts?
signal-attachment-2020-06-14-204506_001.jpegsignal-attachment-2020-06-14-204506_002.jpeg

Post your own holster ??'s Carry ??'s. Etc.

Bonus. While pocket carrying with either a crossbreed or G2, what do you cover your butt with? Paper towel, or handkerchief?

Yes, I would. Can't tell if this is a troll thread or not, but here you go.

Used to carry revolvers in Hunter holsters when wearing a backpack and in the woods in WA State. Often. Now I like Diamond D Leather.

1592185066269.png 1592185113566.png

Yes, I would. Can't tell if this is a troll thread or not, but here you go.

Used to carry revolvers in Hunter holsters when wearing a backpack and in the woods in WA State. Often. Now I like Diamond D Leather.

View attachment 365391 View attachment 365392
Both of those would be good to go for me. Full cover of the trigger.

The 1100 8 and 6 both have slashes in the leather which expose the trigger.

The bit of exposed trigger is not a show stopper for me, but combine it with the snap and I'm in the NFW camp. To draw I'd have to reach down, grab the snap, or whatever my panicked fingers find first, and pull up. Assuming that went well, then I can wrap my hand around the grip and draw up. I'd rather carry with an Uncle Mike's with the thumb break snap.

Doesn't scare me. That j-frame has a pretty stiff double action trigger. As long as you aren't carrying it with the hammer back in single action you shouldn't have any issues.
Try a little training with it empty-cylinder. I think you will find it next to impossible to discharge it while presenting it from the holster...

So, to answer your question: "Yes, I would carry it." but, not for daily ccw. More like a trail/camping gun...

I wouldn't carry it because it ain't Kydex. Kydex is like greased lightning compared to most leather holsters. Some high brow leather can be pretty fast but most generic leather holsters have too much drag for my taste. Also for clarity I'm talking real kydex, not hybrid shithouse deals. (those things are the 1877 Kars 4 Kids of holsters, lmao)

The Hunter looks ok for casual carry at the range or maybe a hike on smooth and level ground. I'd be concerned with the snap popping open in brushy area or a fall and the gun slipping out because the holster is oversized. To your other question I sometimes carry a J-frame in a pocket holster and if it's visible it gets a hanky folded over it but not around it.

For everyday carry?

Probably not.

I prefer a thumb break when it comes to leather holsters for positive retention

I don't see how you get it out of the holster with any speed

For walking around the farm where there is little chance for the need for a quick draw.... sure

OP I would carry that in the woods. I’m not all that concerned about quick draw when I’m deep in the woods as I would be around people. I mean yea mountain lion ect.. sure but realistically I’m happy to have my sidearm protected when I’m going through thickly wooded areas. Just my 2 cents. My EDC is Kydex all the way

Back
Top Bottom