Physician's letter for FID/LTC? Really?

Wife and I did more research as our LTCs await the grand master's approval. In at least one city (Methuen) they require a letter from a physician that certifies that an applicant is OK to possess a rifle or shotgun under an FID. Is this for real? What if a person has no primary care physician or their physician absolutely refuses to write such letter for liability reasons? Ignore it, get denied and go to court? Is Massachusetts that stupid? Please advise. Thanks.

Wife and I did more research as our LTCs await the grand master's approval. In at least one city (Methuen) they require a letter from a physician that certifies that an applicant is OK to possess a rifle or shotgun under an FID. Is this for real? What if a person has no primary care physician or their physician absolutely refuses to write such letter for liability reasons? Ignore it, get denied and go to court? Is Massachusetts that stupid? Please advise. Thanks.
Where did you find these requirements?

Pistol Permits and FID Applications are issued BY APPOINTMENT ONLY. The procedure is as follows:
1. Complete a Firearms/FID card application.
2. Mail completed Application to Methuen Police Department Firearms Licensing Office, 90 Hampshire Street, Methuen, Massachusetts 01844.
3. The Firearms Licensing Office will contact applicants and schedule an appointment time.

Applicants MUST have the following
:
1. Completed application (Application can be accessed in PDF format below)
2. Fees: FID Firearms - $100.00, License to Carry Firearms Class A - $100.00
3. Massachusetts State Police Basic Firearms Safety Course Certificate (First time applicant only)

** Photos are not needed. **

Where did you find these requirements?

Pistol Permits and FID Applications are issued BY APPOINTMENT ONLY. The procedure is as follows:
1. Complete a Firearms/FID card application.
2. Mail completed Application to Methuen Police Department Firearms Licensing Office, 90 Hampshire Street, Methuen, Massachusetts 01844.
3. The Firearms Licensing Office will contact applicants and schedule an appointment time.

Applicants MUST have the following
:
1. Completed application (Application can be accessed in PDF format below)
2. Fees: FID Firearms - $100.00, License to Carry Firearms Class A - $100.00
3. Massachusetts State Police Basic Firearms Safety Course Certificate (First time applicant only)

** Photos are not needed. **
It's on page 6 of the application at the link you provided.

The applicant for the class “C” FID will be required to submit the following:
1. A completed FID permit application.
2. A letter from the applicant’s physician stating the applicant has no medical or psychological issues that would preclude him/her from owning, carrying, or legally using a firearm. (Also required on renewals. See supplement 1)

Methuen Police web site. Wife found it. FID needs physician letter for initial issue and renew. Unless they changed their policy.

Methuen Police web site. Wife found it. FID needs physician letter for initial issue and renew. Unless they changed their policy.
Interesting. no such requirement for the LTC but they want it for the FID. Yet the website has no such requirement listed on the main page. I suspect a hold over from the past and would be curious if enforced. No adults apply for an FID, right? So we are just talking 15-20yr olds?

Unless the doctor was a fellow member of your club and you shot trap/ skeet with him or her regularly, my guess is no way no how. I am not just picking on MA doctors. I do not know any physician who is willing to risk his or her hard-won medical license to help a patient own a gun. No way, no how. Especially in today's lawsuit happy word with ambulance chasing dirtbag lawyers filing lawsuits by the millions.

Go down to the PD and get one if you can, could be different. I downloaded mine from the town PD website, filled it out, brought it down, only to find out they were using a different one and they neglected to update the website. It was something like 3 years out of date on the website.

Go down to the PD and get one if you can, could be different. I downloaded mine from the town PD website, filled it out, brought it down, only to find out they were using a different one and they neglected to update the website. It was something like 3 years out of date on the website.
Woburn doesn't require it. I did have to answer for my false arrest and three days in California jail on a switchblade carry charge. I showed them the case file where the judge determined that my Gerber lockblade folder was not a switchblade. They were satisfied. Playing the waiting game now.

It's on page 6 of the application at the link you provided.

The applicant for the class “C” FID will be required to submit the following:
1. A completed FID permit application.
2. A letter from the applicant’s physician stating the applicant has no medical or psychological issues that would preclude him/her from owning, carrying, or legally using a firearm. (Also required on renewals. See supplement 1)
Irony of ironies - an FID only allows you to do that stuff with non-large cap rifles and shotguns, not firearms which are handguns. [rofl]

It's almost like they don't care what they say, as if you catch them out, there's no penalty.

Tell them you have no primary doctor. Also I think this will be challenged and I will leave it at that

The application is over five years old and was updated about 2-1/2 years ago. It's very likely that the Dr. letter requirement is NOT enforced. However, it if is....

This is an ideal opportunity to take a PD to court. And it would probably be won, even in in MA district court because the PD has NOT statutory authority to deny someone a license based upon this requirement.

But it will never happen. 99.99% of Methuen residents who read the application will either decide being a gun owner isn't worth the hassle or will get the letter from their doctor.

I used to live in Methuen and my last LTC renewal was in 2016. There was no such requirement then and the process was quick and professional. Apply for the LTC and forget about the FID.
And this is what will probably happen today. Sadly, many residents will read the Methuen 'application' and decide not to apply.

Irony of ironies - an FID only allows you to do that stuff with non-large cap rifles and shotguns, not firearms which are handguns. [rofl]
Does Methuen's stupid application form appear in Ch. 140/§§122-131Y?

Because that's the scope of applicability of Ch. 140/§121.

Also, WTF is an FID class C?
A class C license is an FID.

I always DL the application from the FRB website, NOT a PD's website. And I advise my students to do the same.

Twice over the years I have notified my PD that they needed to update the form on their website.

The application is over five years old and was updated about 2-1/2 years ago. It's very likely that the Dr. letter requirement is NOT enforced. However, it if is....

This is an ideal opportunity to take a PD to court. And it would probably be won, even in in MA district court because the PD has NOT statutory authority to deny someone a license based upon this requirement.

But it will never happen. 99.99% of Methuen residents who read the application will either decide being a gun owner isn't worth the hassle or will get the letter from their doctor.

So you guys have never had the occasion to slap their pee pee?

The other possibility of it is that website is an anachronism and it doesnt matter anymore. If thats the case it should be ripped
down.

My brother is applying in Methuen now.....using an attorney due to an old nh misdemeanor dui. The attorney office gave him a list of documents to submit.....a dr note was not on the list.

My brother is applying in Methuen now.....using an attorney due to an old nh misdemeanor dui. The attorney office gave him a list of documents to submit.....a dr note was not on the list.
Good news. Hope your brother gets his license without going through too much grief.

Back
Top Bottom