• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Phoenix man attacked, eaten by mountain lion

Cross-X

Shooting at the big range in heaven
Dealer
NES Member
U.S. man attacked, eaten by mountain lion
PHOENIX (Reuters)

A mountain lion attacked, killed and partially ate a New Mexico man, authorities said on Tuesday.

A search party found the body of Robert Nawojski, 55, in a wooded area near his mobile home in Pinos Altos, New Mexico, late last week, the New Mexico Department of Game and Fish said. Investigators concluded that Nawojski had been attacked and killed by a mountain lion, or cougar, at a spot close to his home, where he lived alone and was known to bathe and shave outdoors.

Spokesman Dan Williams said the lion subsequently dragged the man's body a short distance into nearby woodland and ate and buried parts of it. Nawojski was reported missing by his brother last week. A search party found a mountain lion lurking near his home, and reported it to the Department of Game and Fish, who shot and wounded the animal. After the lion ran off, the officer found the door to the mobile home open, the water running, and Nawojski's false teeth on the table.

Mountain lions are common throughout much of the Americas but they very rarely attack humans. The felines can grow up to nine feet in length, and weigh up to 260 pounds (120 kg). Since the late 19th century, there have been just over 100 attacks on people in North America, around 20 of them fatal.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080624/...1dor1C6KEE1vAI

Unless the the lion was rabid or otherwise diseased it probably targeted this guy because he acted like prey in some way. Cats usually go after prey that is easy to take down. If the guy was spending a significant amount of time outdoors and was not aware that the cat was around - the cat probably picked up on this and hunted the guy without him even knowing it.

One thing I have discovered in life is that there are many many people who just plain don't pay attention. This is not to say the guy deserved to die - but in this case he was killed by an animal that in all likelihood hunted him and he was completely unaware of it.

What a rough way to go. Had me thinking of that news clip from a few months back about the granny who shot the cougar that was hunting her outdoor housecat.

My cats sneak up on me all the time, and two of them have figured out how to hunt mice w/o shaking the bells on their collars up until the pounce. Bears, dogs, moose...I can hear 'em. Big cats are something I'm a little more worried about, especially if I've got smaller "prey-lookin'" humans out on a hike with me.

I wonder if the Bradys will start declawing and extracting wild animals' teeth in order to "Save the [rural] Children" whose parents they've disarmed. [thinking]

The article also said he washed outside. With running water in the trailer?

Still, I doubt a mountain lion would go into a trailer; too confining. I'd guess he was at a stream, head down and back to the high ground.

In short, a perfect target.

I thought that this pic was NSFW when I saw it at first.

sheley50.jpg

I've heard that mountain lions rarely attack humans "head on". EG, if you encounter one of these things in the wild, if it sees you it will probably just run away Most mountain lion attacks on humans are surprise or from behind,
etc.

-Mike

One more reason to allow packin heat in national forests etc. If he was on state or fed. land. He still might of had a chance.

One more reason to allow packin heat in national forests etc. If he was on state or fed. land. He still might of had a chance.

1. What makes you think he owned a gun?

2. What makes you think he was on anything other than his own land?

They Got Him . . .

Authorities kill mountain lion that might have attacked Pinos Altos man​

Associated Press - June 25, 2008 2:05 PM ET

PINOS ALTOS, N.M. (AP)
- A mountain lion that might have been the same one that attacked and killed a Pinos Altos man has been captured in a snare and killed.

The state Department of Game and Fish says the 125-pound male puma had four bullet holes, apparently from buckshot, when it was nabbed last night.

An agency spokesman, Dan Williams, says the cougar was then shot to death this morning.

The animal's body will be taken to the state police crime lab for a necropsy.

A state game officer had shot and wounded a mountain lion with buckshot last Thursday near the home of 55-year-old Robert Nawojski.

He was killed June 17th or 18th near his mobile home in a wooded area of Pinos Altos.

His partially eaten and buried body was found last Friday near a rock ledge about 60 yards from his home.

Published on September 19, 2004, Article 10 of 44 found.
CHARLTON -- Bobcat or mountain lion? A Douglas man a week ago photographed what he believed to be a mountain lion near the Bay Path Regional Vocational Technical School football field.

I remember seeing the pic that went with this story.

It looked like a lion to me. About twice as long as it was tall.

I'd love to see one! (just not to close)[smile]

What a way to go.

Call me crazy but I'd rather go out going one on one with a lion or bear or even just falling out of a treestand rather than drooling on myself and crapping my pants in some nursing home somewhere.

Got to feel sorry for the guy though. [thinking]

One more reason to allow packin heat in national forests
Who told you it is illegal to carry a weapon on national forests?

As far as national parks, national wildlife refuges, and Army CoE land, f*** it; I am packing anyway. I already had an unpleasant experience with aggressive animals (loose feral dogs) while unarmed on the trail. I will no longer rely on a stick to fight back. [angry]

Published on September 19, 2004, Article 10 of 44 found.
CHARLTON -- Bobcat or mountain lion? A Douglas man a week ago photographed what he believed to be a mountain lion near the Bay Path Regional Vocational Technical School football field.

I remember seeing the pic that went with this story.

It looked like a lion to me. About twice as long as it was tall.

Sounds like a bobcat to me. A cougar is about 4 times as long as it is tall.

Mountain Lions are huge. We used to joke when I lived in Idaho that they could take the tires off your car and use them for chew toys. Where I lived in Idaho it wasn't unusual for them to be around. They pretty much left you alone.
There was a natural hot tub that people would go to and it wasn't unusual to see a mountain lion or two laying up on the rocks. They never bothered anyone and looking back on it now, realize how stupid it was. Young and dumb.

Back
Top Bottom