• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Philly police arrest FL permit holders

PA recognizes FL permits, even those issued to non-residents. Philadelphia is famous for not issuing permits as they should so the "Florida loophole" is born. It doesn't matter, because Philly cops will just arrest and charge any of their citizens carrying on a FL licenses even if it means creating a huge civil lawsuit problem for the city.

The civil-rights unit of the City Solicitor's Office confirmed that it is handling eight such cases. Two of the men interviewed by the Daily News said that they rejected settlement offers from the city ranging from $3,500 to $7,500. One accepted a $5,000 offer.

Read more: http://www.philly.com/dailynews/top...ys_no__Florida_can_say_yes.html#ixzz0yZTRlTLp
Watch sports videos you won't find anywhere else

Read more

BTW, I'm sure that there was absolutely no profiling going on with any of these gentlemen.

This is why MA visitors to PA who want to do the cheapest and practical thing, rather than make a point, may want to get a PA non-resident permit. $26.00, good for 4 or 5 years. I got mine from Center County, PA in 7 days - including mail in both directions.

"But proponents say that it's necessary because Philadelphia has unusually strict criteria for obtaining a concealed-carry permit. Philadelphia, according to police and gun owners, relies heavily on a clause that allows denial of a permit based on "character and reputation" alone."

--
Boy, this sounds familiar.

"But proponents say that it's necessary because Philadelphia has unusually strict criteria for obtaining a concealed-carry permit. Philadelphia, according to police and gun owners, relies heavily on a clause that allows denial of a permit based on "character and reputation" alone."

--
Boy, this sounds familiar.

Does it ever............. How about looks? That too?

"Yer too ugly to have a gun permit."

This is why MA visitors to PA who want to do the cheapest and practical thing, rather than make a point, may want to get a PA non-resident permit. $26.00, good for 4 or 5 years. I got mine from Center County, PA in 7 days - including mail in both directions.

Exactly. I sent my application out on a Tuesday morning. Got it back the following Wednesday.

That's not a bad price, much better deal than NH :)

While the state of Pennsylvania honors resident (and non-resident) NH permits, until my job requires otherwise, I'm going to vote with my feet, and just not go to Philadelphia.

Did you see this quote? [angry2]

My blood boils!

Good catch. I missed that line. It just goes to show where non LEO's standing is in our society. If you don't have a badge your a second class citizen. Granted this does not apply to all LEO but it seems like we don't hear about anything else in the news.

Did you see this quote?
It's also complete BS as related to the issue of non-resident license, as the officer safety issue is completely dealt with at the time the gun is secured while the officer verifies the individual is properly licensed. There is no "officer safety" justification for arresting people for non-crimes.

"If ignorance of the law is not an excuse for a citizen," said Oliver, "it cannot be an excuse for law enforcement who are sworn to enforce the law."

It is interesting that they are offering $5Kish settlements to these folks - which is the strongest indication that this practice will not be sustainable.

PA recognizes FL permits, even those issued to non-residents. Philadelphia is famous for not issuing permits as they should so the "Florida loophole" is born. It doesn't matter, because Philly cops will just arrest and charge any of their citizens carrying on a FL licenses even if it means creating a huge civil lawsuit problem for the city.

Read more: http://www.philly.com/dailynews/top...ys_no__Florida_can_say_yes.html#ixzz0yZTRlTLp
Watch sports videos you won't find anywhere else

Read more

BTW, I'm sure that there was absolutely no profiling going on with any of these gentlemen.

I think this has more to do with residents of PA getting the FL non res permit for the sole purpose of carrying in PA.
This comment, "Officers' safety comes first, and not infringing on people's rights comes second" is scary. What other rights of mine do they want to stomp on for what ever reason they come up with?

Well, when it comes to a case like this...

-- Kenneth Sharper, 29, of North Philadelphia: Sharper, who has an Act 235 license and a Philadelphia gun permit, said that he was working security in 2008 at the Players Club, in Northeast Philadelphia, when he and a police officer "had words, like two grown men."

After closing time, Sharper said, police arrested him for disorderly conduct and public intoxication and took him into custody. Sharper said that he never drinks at work and that cops refused to give him a sobriety or blood test. He said that he was held for eight hours and that police took his gun and his Philadelphia permit and have not returned them.

...then what is the point of having a permit for Philly if Philly doesn't recognize Philly permits? What a joke.

Gotta love this quote:

Healy, the special adviser to the police commissioner, said that he is working on uniform guidelines for officers on the street on how to handle nonresident gun permits.
Sheesh, how hard is it to write that guideline? If they have a valid non-resident LTC, no wants or warrants, return their property, wish them a good day and go find a real criminal.

This. There are serious reciprocity problems with PA so it's better to not rely on it at all.

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom