Pheasant season opener

Getting excited for this years season.
Can anyone recommend a good pair pants for pheasant hunting? I don’t want cotton and they don’t have to be dedicated upland game pants. I’ve always used Carharrt work jeans but they soak up the water in wet conditions and I’d like a little more flex.

Can anyone recommend a good pair pants for pheasant hunting? I don’t want cotton and they don’t have to be dedicated upland game pants. I’ve always used Carharrt work jeans but they soak up the water in wet conditions and I’d like a little more flex.
I wear these
Precision-Fit Upland Briar Pants
Usually this time of the year you can find some for short money at the LLBean outlets.

Cabellas makes a nice upland pant. They come in trouser style or jeans style.

Also......you can't go wrong with a set of filson waxed cotton chaps. Just put them on over any pair of jeans and they are water proof and briar proof.

If you get out more than two or three times, a true upland pant is worth the investment around here I think. The birds get into the thick stuff pretty quick and the Carharrt really isn't up to that task. Also the dennier on the upland pant doesn't really absorb water so the pants don't get as water logged. Cabelas makes a good pair, as mentioned above. Walls makes a great pair for cheap but not sure if they still exist.

Cabelas have faced jeans and duck style pants that are ok. I wear them on occasion

If you want something made in the US , Dans Briarproof makes real good stuff in custom sizes. Follow their sizing chart.
They make stuff that will last for decades
Expect to pay more, but get more quality.

A set of upland briar pants from them is about 80 bucks. But the cordura is twice as thick as cabelas and they run it all the way up to the waistline to protect your junk.

I have a set of bulldog bibs and they laugh at the nastiest thorns. I can walk thru anything with them on. And on wet days they stay fairly dry. If you want waterproof they make the waterproof briar fighters.

Last edited:
re: pants

I've been wearing a pair of Columbia briar pants that have held up very well over the years, and are comfortable. The particular model is no longer available though. I've worn other pants, but nothing stops the stickers from getting through like these pants do.

"Briars and brambles are no match for these incredibly rugged pants. We started with our heaviest cotton canvas, then added tough, DWR water-repellent leg facings for added durability and protection from the elements. A silky lining backs the facings for next-to-skin comfort. Other details include a zip fly with button closure, front slant pockets, a zippered security pocket and button-close welt pocket in back. Relaxed fit."

Back
Top Bottom