1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Pheasant season opener

Discussion in 'Hunting, Trapping, & Fishing Forum' started by whacko, Oct 13, 2018.

1. Mountain

Mountain NES Member

Ugh...

Those are the type of wasteful @ssholes that ruin it for others. Yep, your dog grabs one- it's part of your bag limit. You blow one to a mix of feathers and gunk? Also part of your bag limit. That's some serious poaching on the part of those two old douches. If someone wants to blast a bunch of birds on the same day, buck up for a private hunt. Did that yesterday on a special permit at my club and our group of 3 hunters / 2 dogs bagged a total of 12 pheasants.

E-collar sucks for the dog, but better than having a completely out of control dog for others to 'enjoy'.

Mass-diver likes this.

2. Paper City Firearms

Paper City Firearms Dealer NES Member

My pup LULU 9 months old doing well. Had good luck in Southampton at the farm and wma. Southwick wma had good luck also.
    We did a hunt at peacable hill farm in shoreham VT last friday....what a great place! IMG_0380.JPG IMG_0383.JPG IMG_4046.JPEG

Mass-diver, 45collector, RDG and 2 others like this.
  3. Mountain

Mountain NES Member

Nice! So much water this season, having a retriever along is a great way to stay dry.

Hunted dog-less yesterday. Was able to follow fresh tracks in the soft snow and kicked up a nice rooster from some brush at the edge of the woods. Another one bites the dust...

4. tuna

tuna NES Member

Spent the morning at Southwick. Besides realizing I need to put my snow tires on, it was unproductive.

RDG likes this.
  5. MP-In-The-Wind

MP-In-The-Wind NES Member

Indeed...I love the snow...as I tracked (and shot) a rooster! :)\\

Mountain and RDG like this.
  6. MP-In-The-Wind

MP-In-The-Wind NES Member

7. boilermaker

boilermaker NES Member

I used to buy pheasant chicks (on behalf of our club) from Glenn! I didn't realize they were still making a go of Peaceable Hill as his full time job was taking him away from home more, granted this was years ago. Glad to hear they are still around!!

Paper City Firearms likes this.
  8. miniion

miniion

Not necessarily the same person. I have seen groups of folks leaving multiple birds to a dedicated spot next to the parking, so others can take them home.
    Some just like to hunt, but don't like the after work.

9. 45collector

45collector NES Member

Sometimes hunting pheasant without a dog is fun! I worked hard for this one bird on this bitter cold morning. Glad I made it out. I was having second thoughts once I opened the front door at 5:30am.

06F29837-0E20-47FF-AA83-09393ED60DE0.jpeg

That’s it for upland birds for me this year. I would like to try for rabbit before that season ends in February. Never shot me a wasscly wabbit.

Mass-diver, Bmcl322, Al-Jim19 and 3 others like this.
  10. Al-Jim19

Al-Jim19 NES Member

Hoping to get out either today or tomorrow for a last hurrah. I’ve harvested my first two pheasant ever and a third would be icing on the cake.

Bmcl322 and 45collector like this.
  11. Mountain

Mountain NES Member

Congrats! Good luck if you go out again.

My club should have its last stocked regular season hunt tomorrow. I wasn't planning on attending and didn't sign up for it, but I may swing by in the late afternoon for a clean up sweep. I'm usually pretty good at finding birds, especially with some snow cover.

The leftovers are usually the smart, wily ones that are already jumpy so it takes some work to flush them without a dog. Often they will be roosters that like to run. I'll usually position myself to push them towards an open area (more desirable) or a ridge (less so) and once close enough, I'll rush them.

Bmcl322 likes this.
  12. Mark from MA

Mark from MA NES Member

Everyone slamming them the last few days at my private club. Not many people showing up cause of the cold, last few days have taken a lot of birds.
    Limited out in late October on state birds. It's been a good year, ton of action. Going to do a clean up hunt tomorrow morning for the leftovers, and put everything away for the season for the most part.

Dont' really like the snow, birds run as they don't have good field cover, dogs tend to break and run, but still we are very much successfull, as most shots are close.

If we get some decent weather Ill do Addieville Jan to March once deer season is over.

If its really nice, then I'll do some January CT bowhunting as well, but unlikely the way this weather is lately.

Mountain and Bmcl322 like this.
  13. swagelin

swagelin

Went to Southwick today with my pup but we didn't find any birds. I asked the 7-10 hunters I ran into and no one had gotten a bird. One guy said they were chasing a hen. I wonder when the last time they stocked it was.

Also - I know it's public land but what's up with non-hunters having no regard for hunters? I saw 3 different people with dogs off leash and no orange on walking and cutting through the fields. People are idiots.

Bmcl322 likes this.
  14. 45collector

45collector NES Member

Exactly that’s people who have no interest in hunting have no interest in being respectful of those of us that do. Or they are just ignorant to what is going on. I run into many people in the woods who legitimately have no idea but it’s deer season.

swagelin and Bmcl322 like this.
  15. RDG

RDG

They stocked Southwick on Wed afternoon... I was there. Most of the WMAs gets stocked the day before Thanksgiving and it’s pretty much the final stocking. I bet that place was pretty busy Thursday AM.

Here’s our last two MA birds... CTs season still runs till Feb so we’ll keep hunting there.
    B830EF6B-4012-4356-8F1E-EA2E413571DF.jpeg

SERE, Mountain and swagelin like this.
  16. Mountain

Mountain NES Member

Yeah, the non-hunters are probably just clueless. Possible they know and are arrogant DGAF types.

17. swagelin

swagelin

No birds at crane today. I didn't even hear any gun shots. Could be us or maybe their last release was like Wednesday.

18. boilermaker

boilermaker NES Member

I always thought that MA stocked before Thanksgiving and then that was it. i have never seen a truck out on the Friday

19. Mountain

Mountain NES Member

It makes some sense that they would not stock before the last day or two of the season.

20. x-force hunter

x-force hunter

Thats typically what they do but Martin Burns was marked as closed for stocking at 4pm on friday, used to be 4pm the wednesday before thanksgiving.

21. RDG

RDG

They close it for stocking? Really?
    How do they announce it? Do they just put up a sign at the entrance or something?
    Southwick WMA doesn’t close for stocking?

22. x-force hunter

x-force hunter

They post a sign that list what dates the wma will close at 4pm for stocking, usually every friday. All the other days they just stock whenever

23. Kevin 103

Kevin 103 NES Member

Does anyone have any tips on the Rhode Island Game management areas? They stop releasing birds at the end of December and the season runs to the end of February. Tips for hunting with a dog and without one would be appreciated.

24. Mark from MA

Mark from MA NES Member

Most WMA don't close to stock, most don't also post stocking times or days. If they post that they stock at 4pm they likely have to close because hunting time is til 5 and there are idiots that will wait there and shoot the birds out of the guys hands.

There are also people that follow the stocking truck around. I've talked to guys from the state that stock. One time I was at a WMA and the guy was stocking birds. I told him I'll come back in an hour after lunch so as not to bother him. He told me to hang on a minute...., and looked over at this other car that had driven in behind him and the guy was sitting in the drivers seat. He said, I'm going to turn around and when I drive outta here, get in front of that other car, That guy has been following me all morning.....when I leave, please get right behind me and let me turn out and get gone before you go out into the road. I'm like, no problem, I'm going to fake a car issue and you'll have plenty of time.

I pulled out and let the stocking truck go first,got behind it, and sure enough that guy went behind me. The stocking truck took off and I basically stopped and shut the car off. The guy came up behind me and was PISSED!
    He's like what's going on? Why aren't you moving? I'm like....don't know, car stalled, might be the starter....opened the hood, screwed around for a few minutes, and was like should be good now. Sat in there looked at my phone another minute or two...he came up again.....WHAT NOW? I'm like Oh sorry....had an important text.....don't want to text and drive! Finally after 10 minutes I let him go....Hilarious.

25. whacko

whacko NES Member

That's a classic.