Pheasant season eve

With fall turkey, a ladder stand setup for deer, squirrel hunts still on, checking cameras often but less as the shotgun/muzzle season draws near, and everything else in life, I don’t think I’ll be getting out again for a pheasant hunt unfortunately. So hard to choose over gain vs loss.

Cant do it all at once. Unless your retired, or wealthy. Or both.

For years I chose archery deer over all else, now I pheasant hunt alot more, and barely get out for deer.

Its good to have choices.

Cant do it all at once. Unless your retired, or wealthy. Or both.

For years I chose archery deer over all else, now I pheasant hunt alot more, and barely get out for deer.

Its good to have choices.
I do love options

Ok. Rains from today through tomorrow morning in Zone 9. Turkeys are turkeying. Pheasants are still pheasanting. Squirrels are still squirreling. I have no.4 shot in my shotty and I’m ready for about 6 hours of forest and field play. Got my wingbone call, pheasant voice, and quarters ready. It’s gonna be fun no matter what happens

Got out yesterday and flushed two just walking around. Missed both. I know im not that great but im still going to blame it pn the full choke i had in my gun from my last duck excursion.

Got out yesterday and flushed two just walking around. Missed both. I know im not that great but im still going to blame it pn the full choke i had in my gun from my last duck excursion.
I was set up for squirrel once last year and running the full choke. Flushed a rabbit on the power lines on my walk in.....3 shots on him and all three hit the dirt inches behind his ass.......I blame that on the full choke too. Clearly it wasn't me.:D

Well, I flushed a pheasant today after lots and lots of walking around the fields. Got 4 shots off and pretty it was hit by some but it kept flying in deeper woods and I never found it. I have a c-lect choke on my New Haven 600AT and that fudd device is too loose I noticed. Had it on modified but it appeared to have twisted back to full. I blame full choke too. At least I saw one!

I blame that on the full choke too. Clearly it wasn't me.

Upland birds are Mod choke at best, skeet is better. Rabbit run fast and need a lead if they are at a distance. Unless you are working a dog and the dog flushes at distance, most birds are foot kicked up inside of 20 yards. Good flushing dogs put up birds well inside of 30 yards. Open chokes, #6 shot and the bird should go down if you are on target. Practice on the skeet field and start your call when the gun is down and not on your shoulder. Mounting the gun is 50% of the game.

Upland birds are Mod choke at best, skeet is better. Rabbit run fast and need a lead if they are at a distance. Unless you are working a dog and the dog flushes at distance, most birds are foot kicked up inside of 20 yards. Good flushing dogs put up birds well inside of 30 yards. Open chokes, #6 shot and the bird should go down if you are on target. Practice on the skeet field and start your call when the gun is down and not on your shoulder. Mounting the gun is 50% of the game.
Ive harvested plenty of rabbits and snowshoe hare. I don't miss often.

I was making a joke as to most hunters that miss will joke and blame the choke.

I blame my inexperience with a quick acquisition of target and follow through coupled with dense branches. I had walked and stalked 6 miles today in DCR fields and woods. If anything it was good experience and exercise.

Haven't been out in a couple of years. But was coming down Bare Hill Rd into Groveland yesterday and this beautiful fat male was standing on the side of the road brazen as you please. Of course he was on the wrong side and not in the WMA across the road, lol. Had me regretting not buying a license this year!

Was out today for about 5 hours this morning didn't see any pheasant, got a squirrel though. First time hunting so its likely that I have no idea how to find good areas. Still a great day in my books.

Was out today for about 5 hours this morning didn't see any pheasant, got a squirrel though. First time hunting so its likely that I have no idea how to find good areas. Still a great day in my books.
The areas are on a wma that was freshly stocked lol

Jokes on me because I was at a WMA haha
Meant to say the BEST areas are the wma that is freshly stocked.

Crane pond.....they stock it during the week. The Power lines are the best area if they just stocked. Just crash around in the high bushes and stop every few steps and listen for a bird rustling around.

Meant to say the BEST areas are the wma that is freshly stocked.

Crane pond.....they stock it during the week. The Power lines are the best area if they just stocked. Just crash around in the high bushes and stop every few steps and listen for a bird rustling around.
I appreciate the advice. After walking around the woods for about 4 hours we did finally reach the power lines. Looked like a great area, but no luck.

I appreciate the advice. After walking around the woods for about 4 hours we did finally reach the power lines. Looked like a great area, but no luck.
That strip of power line is where they drop alot of birds when they stock.

There are also 3 other small areas off seven star road that they stock. Check the map......you'll find them.

Got out for like an hour today. Wouldve stayed longer but it was wicked crowded. Probably ran into like 12-15 other people. Two of those people were very careless with muzzle discipline so i bailed.

No birds seen, only heard one shot.

Another good weekend here. My son taking them back to college. I gave him some venison too and Hes glad he doesnt have to pay for meat this week.

Haven't been out in a couple of years. But was coming down Bare Hill Rd into Groveland yesterday and this beautiful fat male was standing on the side of the road brazen as you please. Of course he was on the wrong side and not in the WMA across the road, lol. Had me regretting not buying a license this year!

That's odd considering this sign is posted at the Bare Hill Gate:

BareHill.jpg

That's odd considering this sign is posted at the Bare Hill Gate:

Maybe this?

PlymouthMyles Standish State Forest (Pheasant) – Area generally bounded by Federal Pond Rd., Upper College Pond Rd., Halfway Pond Rd. and Bare Hill Rd.3

This is Bare Hill Rd in Groveland, part of the Crane Pond WMA. It has always been stocked in the past. This year the sign appeared when the season opened with no explanation.

This is Bare Hill Rd in Groveland, part of the Crane Pond WMA. It has always been stocked in the past. This year the sign appeared when the season opened with no explanation.
Wonder why.

But.....there are a few other small spots that are part of crane pond plus the power lines.

Back
Top Bottom