• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Pheasant season eve

I prefer to avoid the Saturday opening crowd and will wait until Sunday to hit the WMA's.

I'll be in the woods adjacent to a stocked wma sat afternoon for squirrel with my boy. I do avoid opening morning.....it can be a shit show.

There is great benefit by avoiding WMA’s I’m sure. Let the masses pressure the pheasants right to you on adjacent lands. No need to wear an orange cap either.

There is great benefit by avoiding WMA’s I’m sure. Let the masses pressure the pheasants right to you on adjacent lands. No need to wear an orange cap either.
I always wear orange. Vest and hat. Only hunting I do without orange is spring turkey.

I always wear orange. Vest and hat. Only hunting I do without orange is spring turkey.
Guess it’s best practice then since you can’t trust the fudd nearby with large spectacles from not filling you with lead.

Pretty funny out here on the land adjacent to the WMA. Just a mad house of dogs, bells, and loud voices, lol.

Pretty funny out here on the land adjacent to the WMA. Just a mad house of dogs, bells, and loud voices, lol.
You'll hear a dog fight soon.....trust me.

Then two hunters will be yelling at each other because the "untrained mutt" is interfering with some snobs trained pointer.

It's a circus every year. That's why I'm home sipping coffee. I'll be out in the woods later this afternoon.

Looking forward to this week. Not interested in dealing with crowds today.

I wonder if all WMA are stocked in preparation of opening day?

Yea I am so over WMA's and opening day as well as weekends. Best day to hunt a WMA is on a Monday after a weekend of hard rain.
Had the whole wma to myself after 4pm yesterday. Flushed shot and downed a cock pheasant too.......could not find him though.

Gave the WMA a try yesterday AM. A friend lives on the border of our local stocked WMA so she lets me park there.
I had a area to myself for about 15 minutes, then the orange army showed up. Ended up hunting the outer end of the WMA in some real thick stuff that no ones else hunts, hoping to find into some woodcock or a wandering pheasant. Ended up getting into woodcock... missed a couple shots I feel I should have made.

Either way was a good time.... should be out again early this week.

Got out yesterday. Went with my friend and we flushed one but couldnt get a shot because it was in some dense trees.

Ill get back out this week. Hoping to score some ducks too.

Our club hosted a Wounded Warrior event this past Saturday. We had trap, indoor archery, fishing, and bird hunting available to all. I only took out one group, a pair of brothers, but the club was stocked heavy with birds and I was super proud of my Molly dog. The guys had an absolute fantastic time; I was hesitant to help guide but so glad I did. So no Mass opener for us but we'll be out there soon enough. (I am the guy without birds)

IMG951211.jpg

Last edited:
I was at the opening at the WMA in Norton several years back. It was a S-show, but a POLITE S-show. No dogs fighting. People respected each other's space. Only real issue was the tool that shot a bird out of a tree and the License Police being a general dink. Oh, and 183,000 hunters for 10-15 birds.

Went to my local club who stocks and our group got one bird a piece. Took my son on a cleanup hunt this morning and he got a rooster and missed one.
I maybe would have got the one he missed but wanted him to shoot.

Was nice to get one with the 20 gauge model 37 I refinished last year.

ill hit the WMA down the street wed afternoon

Went to my local club who stocks and our group got one bird a piece. Took my son on a cleanup hunt this morning and he got a rooster and missed one.
I maybe would have got the one he missed but wanted him to shoot.

Was nice to get one with the 20 gauge model 37 I refinished last year.

ill hit the WMA down the street wed afternoon

I'm a personal fan of the club 'clean up' hunts. Planning on one in a week. On my way to work in French wine country this week, so outside of the daily grind I'll be hunting the bottom of a bottle or two.

Had the whole wma to myself after 4pm yesterday. Flushed shot and downed a cock pheasant too.......could not find him though.

Thats where the dog comes in handy.

Our group unleashed on a long sky high bird Saturday. We didnt even think we hit it. Until my dog came back with it in her mouth.

Thats happened more than once a season. She’s tenacious on wounded birds

Back
Top Bottom