Pheasant Season 09 - How did you do?

Got my third for the season today. Got her hiding in the pines, meanwhile, everyone with a dog was hitting the open fields and getting soaked in the drizzle.

Look where everyone is hunting, then hunt where they're pushing the birds; woods, thorns, swamp - the pheasant don't have a subscription to Field and Stream and don't know that the open grassy fields are what they should be flocking to.

OK... I guess some people need proof....

Hunt1.jpg

Are you a member at Hamilton? If so, it is great to meet a fellow NES'r and Hmailton member. My friend and I struck out on Saturday but will be back next Saturday, so maybe I'll see you then.

Again, nice job.

Well....

I went out to Crane WMA for a few hours this afternoon...didn't see a single bird.

I'll have to see if tomorrow morning is any better....

Sparkey,
I didn't realize there was a couple of Hamilton guys on here. I don't want to hijack the thread but I will be in a red Tacoma early Saturday morning. Good luck on Sat. if I don't see you.

Well....not much luck today. Saw 3 birds, couldn't get a shot off on any of them.

Then I met a really nice guy who was out with this dogs, spent a few hours with them, but we didn't see anything. Those jack russels are hard to keep up with, let me tell you!

Got these two a couple of Saturday's ago. It was cold, rainy, and miserable. Made for some great hunting. [wink]

roosters.jpg

Dirk - Went to Westborough on monday there were about 4 guys there no birds. Guy i work with went tues he said 24 cars in the lot at sun up. Guess the schedule is pretty well known. I wish it were a little more random

Dirk - Went to Westborough on monday there were about 4 guys there no birds. Guy i work with went tues he said 24 cars in the lot at sun up. Guess the schedule is pretty well known. I wish it were a little more random

My first visit this season to a local WMA, the lot was full and it sounded like a shooting gallery. And that was a Monday, at 2pm. Got two birds that day. But in my 3 days out since then, no birds put up at all. And each time there was only one other vehicle parked in the lot, or none. hmm....

I did hear a lot of two-shots out there today, but didn't see anyone with any birds? There was a gent there with a springer which had some device that kept beeping. THAT was annoying. Come to think of it, he was carrying an O/U.

The girls bagged a couple more ringnecks today. I must've hit the place right after the delivery truck made a visit -- the dogs were going CRAZY. And wouldn't you know it, more vehicles in the lot than usual. The Cocker has to be the hardest working 13" tall dog out there. She never gives up, and MAN what a nose for game. The Griff seemed to loose some of her enthusiasm, but I think she's just grown tired of dealing with burrs. She didn't even bother the hen standing in the trail on our way back to the car. It was two days in a row for her though, so she can still sleep on the couch. After trying a few different ways of dressing birds out, I found this method to be the easiest way to make good use of pheasant I've taken the life of: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbwSGPtLUxw
pup was it a monday? which WMA
Would've been a Wednesday. And today, there was another dog in the field with a training device on. I do use the dog whistle when I have to, but that beeping/sqealing collar thing is offputting. If you know where Foxy's Tea Room used to be, you should be able to figure out which WMA I'm at. It's west of I91 and north of I90. [wink]

Back
Top Bottom