• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Pheasant hunting

Mbous

NES Member
I just thought I would ask what most people are using when hunting pheasant in the fall for choke and shot size. I've mostly heard from other places recs for #4-6 shot and a variety of chokes. Any input would be helpful as I plan to go for the first time this fall, going to be hunting some state conservation land that is stocked; no dog just myself walking around hoping for some luck otherwise it will just be a fall walk in the woods.

6 (low or hi brass 12 ga.) w/a mod. choke works for me. Most of the time the birds don't flush until you are right on top of them...

Last edited:
Have hunted for pheasant a lot in Iowa. I personally use a 20g. with #4 to #6 shot. If hunting over a dog the #6 works well but later in the season I would change to #4 to get a little more range because the birds would get a little skitterish after being hunted all season. All wild birds that I hunted though and am not sure how stocked ones differ in the way they may react. I almost always used modified choke. On a side note... I used to load my own shells and used to buffer the lead with flour. Made a huge difference in the way they patterned and the range I could hit a pheasant and boy were they deadly. Makes me want to move back there just thinking about it...that and Iowa just became a shall issues state.

Modified 12 ga with #5. I found that #5 tends to go clean through the bird, so there is less shot to clean out

Are you shooting out of one barrel or two? On my semi- I use a Mod choke. On the double, I use a improved and mod but it depends on the cover we are hunting. As for shot size, I use #5 or #6, I can't tell a difference and I doubt the bird can either.

Are you hunting with a 12 or 20? I hunt with a 12 and just use the 2 3/4" shells. A friend of mine uses a 20ga and is switching from the 2 3/4" to the 3" inch shell for this year. He is finding that he is hitting the bird but not knocking it down all the time.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom