• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Pheasant/Duck/Goose combo?

I hunt mostly Southeastern ma for pheasants and occasionally quail. Many times in the past I had ducks or a formation of geese fly over me well within range, but I always had to let them go since I was using lead shot. This year, I got my fed and state stamps, and plugged my 870 for 3 shots. I am planning on using 3" Blindside steel #2s for my upland hunting and if I get the opportunity to bag a goose or duck, I will. Does anyone else do this? Other than possibly having to let a pheasant fly a little further before shooting, is there any downside that I am missing? Regulations say that you can hunt upland with shot size no larger than #1. I think this is all legal.

A similar question do woodcock need to be taken with lead free? They're technically federally managed waterfowl but how many grouse/phesant hunters are walking them with lead? Is this ok? I'll always pass on a phesant for a duck cause they're much tastier and more challenging to hunt. Pro tip get a collapsible fishing rod with a big weight and a treble hook for retrieval so you don't have to go swimming if you're dogless like myself.

Thanks Paddy for the tip about the rod with a snag hook. I was looking for big waders, but couldnt find any that fit good. I will bring my inshore rod with a snag hook when I just hunt waterfowl over water.

You're good with lead for woodcock in MA but watch out in other states.. .Some states have restrictions hunting in certain areas with lead and with what's required for a permit. MA only requires a HIP for woodcock but CT requires a CT migratory bird stamp.

Back
Top Bottom