Phase 1 of Massachusetts Reopen Plan Includes Shooting Ranges

GOAL

NES Member

Today, May 18, 2020, Governor Baker released the reopening of Massachusetts plan. Included in the list of entities and businesses that could reopen immediately were firearm retailers and shooting ranges. Retailers have already been open due to the successful federal court challenge.

The new list does not differentiate outdoor versus indoor ranges, but any opening will have to be done following the safety standards guidance. A link for those standards can be found below.

GOAL would urge our affiliated clubs to proceed with some caution. Make sure your safety plans are in place and that all members are made aware of them. If your club needs further guidance on a reopening plan, please do not hesitate to contact GOAL and we will do our best to assist you. As your club develops plans, please share those with us as well.

Reopen list: https://www.mass.gov/doc/guidance-for-industries-on-the-reopening-plan/download

Standards link: Reopening: Mandatory Safety Standards for Workplaces

Hunter Ed: https://www.mass.gov/doc/hunter-edu...Mhwgodov7HOf9JWmwyx9-yB5ND1Q5i6TNf32mpefKwxvE

Recreational (Page 12): https://www.mass.gov/doc/outdoor-recreation-task-force-presentation-5-18-20/download

Last edited:
I have attempted to get clarification from the State Police Firearms Licensing by email a week ago and by calling this morning. I had to leave a voicemail and have not yet received a response on either attempts. Hopefully they will let us know how this affects giving classes for LTC/FID. The current "phase" crapola only discusses Drivers Ed classes.

So besides that it would nice to also get clarification if the appointment only restrictions are still in place for the shops in addition to the other "safety specifications" that were in the lawsuit paperwork.

Anyone from GOAL or Comm2a have any insights?

I have attempted to get clarification from the State Police Firearms Licensing by email a week ago and by calling this morning. I had to leave a voicemail and have not yet received a response on either attempts. Hopefully they will let us know how this affects giving classes for LTC/FID. The current "phase" crapola only discusses Drivers Ed classes.

So besides that it would nice to also get clarification if the appointment only restrictions are still in place for the shops in addition to the other "safety specifications" that were in the lawsuit paperwork.

Anyone from GOAL or Comm2a have any insights?

We are working with the State Police on that now. Will update as we get anything.

Phase 1 - mostly the same as Phase 0.

Phase 2 - at some point in the future that we will decide with restrictions that we will lift when we figure them out.

Phase 3 - same

Phase 4 - "new" normal - socially distance but still put 55K fans in Gillette - don't ask, we haven't even figured out Phase 2 yet.

Today, May 18, 2020, Governor Baker released the reopening of Massachusetts plan. Included in the list of entities and businesses that could reopen immediately were firearm retailers and shooting ranges. Retailers have already been open due to the successful federal court challenge.

The new list does not differentiate outdoor versus indoor ranges, but any opening will have to be done following the safety standards guidance. A link for those standards can be found below.

GOAL would urge our affiliated clubs to proceed with some caution. Make sure your safety plans are in place and that all members are made aware of them. If your club needs further guidance on a reopening plan, please do not hesitate to contact GOAL and we will do our best to assist you. As your club develops plans, please share those with us as well.

Reopen list: https://www.mass.gov/doc/guidance-for-industries-on-the-reopening-plan/download

Standards link: Reopening: Mandatory Safety Standards for Workplaces

Thanks for the update.

Shooting and Church are only on there because they are afraid of the legal challenge. Go look at what they wrote. It is never going away(and I don't mean the virus- that thing is irrelevant.) Ever. It will take revolution(doesn't have to be violent but it might be) of some sort to end this shit.

I read this to mean that shops can do away with the appointments and limiting to 4 per hour.... correct?
This too is how i read it. Obviously they should post up some limitation on how many people allowed in the store at a time to keep up with general Covid Guidelines.
Personally Ive held off going to the gun store cuz I don't actually have a desire to buy a gun at this time. Just want to browse, maybe pick up some powder, primers etc. But I dont want to take away an appointment window for a customer looking to buy a firearm

This too is how i read it. Obviously they should post up some limitation on how many people allowed in the store at a time to keep up with general Covid Guidelines.
Personally Ive held off going to the gun store cuz I don't actually have a desire to buy a gun at this time. Just want to browse, maybe pick up some powder, primers etc. But I dont want to take away an appointment window for a customer looking to buy a firearm

I haven't wanted to take up an appointment either. I have a transfer that's been sitting for a while, but wanted to leave the appointments open for larger sales.

I hope my range management doesn't go all uber toolbag and try to exceed the states requirements. I dread the thought of how inconvenient they could possibly make shooting.

Shooting and Church are only on there because they are afraid of the legal challenge. Go look at what they wrote. It is never going away(and I don't mean the virus- that thing is irrelevant.) Ever. It will take revolution(doesn't have to be violent but it might be) of some sort to end this shit.

Don't be so dramatic we must obey our overlords.

They give us our instructions we obey.

Forcexample, here is your three page instructions with rules and regulations for going to the beach this summer:

Nothing new on their facebook page since May 4th either. Dont know what they are doing.

Does anyone know if Mass Rifle in Woburn is opening? They haven't updated their website and when I try to sign up for the "eblast" newsletter it won't let me. They better not exclude these 2 months of lockdown from the 6 months it takes to be able to shoot on the outside ranges...f***ing stupid rule.

GOAL would urge our affiliated clubs to proceed with some caution. Make sure your safety plans are in place and that all members are made aware of them. If your club needs further guidance on a reopening plan, please do not hesitate to contact GOAL and we will do our best to assist you. As your club develops plans, please share those with us as well...

Thanks GOAL. Good job.

Just my opinion, so I highlighted it in RED the one question that keeps coming up about outdoor range shooting. Our Governor just can't understand the difference between inside vs. outside. So yes, wear a mask, wear gloves, wash hands, sanitize, keep distance between shooters, no large gatherings, etc. even when outside. [crying] But WTF, they know so much more than you and I. [bow] and besides they only are looking out for our safety and well being.

Looking forward to hitting the range this week.

Stay Safe, Sanitized, and Aware,

Jay

Just got this:

'Good Morning,

Based upon the Governor’s newest orders concerning the Covid-19 pandemic, BFS and LEOSA training may resume in person, and all shooting ranges may open, as of May 18, 2020. All existing requirements regarding BFS/LEOSA and shooting ranges are in effect.

Furthermore, pursuant to the Governor’s Orders, all social distancing and face covering guidelines must be adhered to for each BFS and LEOSA course and for all activity at any shooting range until further notice.

Please be advised that the Colonel’s authorization for the virtual online Basic Firearm Safety Program expires close of business on Saturday, May 23, 2020.'

Kristin M. Ryan

Firearms Licensing

Massachusetts State Police

470 Worcester Road

Framingham, MA 01702

508-820-2299

[email protected]

Email from State police as of 5/18/2020 it's ok to go back to
firearms training,just follow Faker Bakers safety rules,and as of
the end of day on 5/23/2020 the virtual online firearm training
is done.

Does anyone know if Mass Rifle in Woburn is opening?

From MRA around 12:45 today:

Based upon the latest guidance provided yesterday from the state, the Board of Directors and Association Counsel will be meeting tomorrow night to make sure that the protocols for reopening discussed at our last board meeting will be sufficient to reopen or whether additional precautions will need to me taken.

At a MINIMUM there will be temporary range rules put in place concerning social distancing, sanitation, and hygiene requirements.

More to come, we are working to reopen ASAP

Back
Top Bottom