Petition for Boston Special Police Officers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Look, I got no problem with LEOs.

Like anything, there are good and bad. Time for the good to be counted or the bad to be outed.

If the rank and file don't agree with the management, as may be in this case, isn't that what the union is for? Where is the union saying they don't agree with the AGs decision?

Support is a two way street...and while we are at it, **** Black lives or Blue lives matter. How about all lives matter r even Black Lives or Blue lives matter too?

Hell no! No more special elevated status for any police officer. If "mere" citizens are restricted then so too, should be every law enforcement officer, and private security agent.

The problem is SPOs have less status than any of us peons do in regards to what kinds of equipment they can carry on the job.

So you want us to help arm people that will follow orders from the AG? [troll]

If I can't legally own modern firearms why should they?

Kinda ignorant, These guys aren't going to be kicking your door in. They guard housing projects and shit like that. Places where the only other people with guns are
usually thugs 99 out of 100 times.

What exactly are "special police officers"? What jurisdiction do they have and what are their responsibilities?

Also, last I heard their personal LTCs were restricted in Boston.

Boston SPOs usually deal with housing projects in the city. It's a requirement by the city to get the cert in order to work armed while working at those places. You cannot be an armed security guard at a housing project in Boston without being under rule 400.

Not trying to nit pick here but if you are not looking for more power or authority, why does the word police need to go on the badge and patch.

Rule 400s have delegated powers of arrest so they can arrest scumbags in and around these housing projects.

Generally the SPOs I've met have been decent guys, they've usually gone above and beyond for me to make sure I have someone watching my 6 while I'm working. Admittedly my experience is biased because I do side work for a company that probably doesn't have a huge number of SPOs, and I'm friends with their boss, who doesn't take shit from anyone. Other companies that have SPOs may have buckets full of *******s for all I know, some of the stories I hear from the guys I help out seem to lend credence to that.

Lol, you're talking to the wrong crowd for a petition like that.

I agree, this is a dumb time to ask for that kind of support. Whatever the org is that wants this, they should be pushing to deal with the AG shit first. Ultimately in the long term that effects everyone, including them, a lot worse than the crap under rule 400 does.

In general I'm a supporter of law enforcement. There are some bad, and some awful, who get into the business and don't belong. But I've in general had very positive interactions.

Except for the Boston Special Police. Never in my life have I been treated in such a rude, condescending and threatening manner for asking a simple question about parking. The two guys were absolute *******s.

The only petition I would sign would be to disband them. I'm betting if one looked under the surface they are a bunch of political hacks and appointees who would normally not be stable enough to work at a corner store.

Those who know me know I'm very even tempered and respectful. It takes a of a lot to get me this pissed off, and their arrogance and attitude told me all I needed to know about them.

Rich

I don't know if I would go that far Rich. I'm sure there are *******s that are SPOs like any other field. Keep in mind this isn't a department, just people who happen to get a cert course from the city. So they are smoes who passed a training course. Some of them are really good people; others are shitty people- not any different than the rest of society.

.38 Special revolver is really all you need. Well, that and a 1970's mustache to perform your duties.

If the BSPO comes out and supports us on 8/28/16, then I can support them. Since I don't see that happening, then keep on pew-pewing with your .38 Special.

I generally agree, at least in the sentiment that this is the wrong time for them to be asking for support on this.

Under rule 400 they are allowed a .38 as a service weapon and nothing else. They are essentially armed security guards.

This, pretty much.... they have police powers but none of the union BS/protection that regular munis do on the job. They can be sued, their company can be sued, etc.

-Mike

Last edited:
Id have to think the OP didnt really do his homework on this lol.
I totally get mpd61s ideas on this, but the current climate is certainly not one where any pro 2A guys (myself included) are gonna help out LE on anything, let alone some play police wanting to carry modern roscoes and have the word police on their patches.
I wouldnt sign it either

This too... the timing of this idea is comically bad.

You folks make me laugh. Its all about divide and conquer with the politicians, and you guys just help em with the hate-spewing. Maybe invite the OP and some of his working class stiffs to our rally and see if then you could return the favor by signing the petition. Nah...that might build some solidarity among folks, can't have that now.

+1... I've met a few SPOs in passing who are gun guys... who may not even know about this AG bullshit because they're too busy pulling 50+ hrs a week to even see this stuff. The media has mostly lodged the AGs bullshit in a 10 second sidebar.

-Mike

i would LOVE to see a cadre of these SPO's at one of the goal rallies defending all of our gun rights! How about that, OP?

Kind of interesting the municipal housing department uses non municipal police.

My vote is let them have the word 'police' to put on their patches just to get a rise out of the BPD pud pullers.

I wonder if the ordinance defines pistol class but leaves a loophole for rifles. It sure would be amusing if they showed up for work sporting a "long rifle".

I wonder if the ordinance defines pistol class but leaves a loophole for rifles. It sure would be amusing if they showed up for work sporting a "long rifle".

They're not real police, possession of a rifle would be a violation of Boston's AWB.

I am totally on board with the OP. If the bad guys have decent weapons, all LEOs and civilians need to be on at least equal footing IMHO. MA firearms laws are bad enough (I know I'm preaching to the choir here [grin] ), but any stupid firearm laws need to be chipped away at (this is just one of many). The days of a service 38 revolver serving as a duty weapon for anyone have long since passed.

Nope, if all Police are affect by the AWB, then maybe. If they would back the people, and speak up against the current unconstitutional gun laws, then maybe. Until then NO !

I'm just thinking out loud here. Find a weakness in the ordinance to make the BPD brass furious.

This, pretty much.... they have police powers but none of the union BS/protection that regular munis do on the job. They can be sued, their company can be sued, etc.
I also think their police powers may not extend to "off the job". I'm not sure if SPOs can carry on school grounds without permission; carry into the statehouse; get in a barfight and be confident the person they attack is the one who will be charged; shoot dogs with impunity; get a "pass" if they have a shooting accident while off duty; etc.

they should vote for pols who support the second amendment and then they can carry whatever firearm they want. The anti's are the one's restricting them.

How bout one of those weird revolvers with a stock and 16" barrel, do they come in .38 spl?

I like where you're going with that. Rossiusa.com

- - - Updated - - -

I think we have enough of our own battles to fight at the moment..... Opinions may vary.

I'm sure you know what's been said about the enemy of my enemy.

I am totally on board with the OP. If the bad guys have decent weapons, all LEOs and civilians need to be on at least equal footing IMHO. MA firearms laws are bad enough (I know I'm preaching to the choir here [grin] ), but any stupid firearm laws need to be chipped away at (this is just one of many). The days of a service 38 revolver serving as a duty weapon for anyone have long since passed.

6 post in what 2 years.... Interesting. Feel free to support the OP. At the moment we have a larger fight on our own hands.

- - - Updated - - -

I like where you're going with that. Rossiusa.com

- - - Updated - - -

I'm sure you know what's been said about the enemy of my enemy.

Honestly don't care...I'm happy with the friends I already have don't need more....Its a myth anyway. If they would like to come out in support for our cause...then maybe id actually consider signing.

- - - Updated - - -

they should vote for pols who support the second amendment and then they can carry whatever firearm they want. The anti's are the one's restricting them.

Bingo!

- - - Updated - - -

This petition is for Boston SPOs, to be able to have rule 400 changed and updated and equipments, uniforms and have the word police once again on the bade and patch as it used to be, including the change of firearms from .38 special revolver to an updated firearm with the rest of law enforcement field.

The more signatures they can get will help the cause.

https://www.change.org/p/city-of-bo...msg&recuruit_context=fb_share_mention_variant

Let them know about the rolling rally....then we can talk. One hand washes the other.

Last edited:
Mike, they can't even have ARs in the city, and the only weapons that they carry are revolvers and perhaps a nightstick and OC.

Many don't wear uniforms, so if they are at a rally or not, you'd never be able to ID them as SPOs.

My vote is let them have the word 'police' to put on their patches just to get a rise out of the BPD pud pullers.

AFAIK, there is still a Boston Municipal Police org that run real cruisers and cops for the cities housing units. The SPOs referred to here work for private companies and privately owned building complexes.

I also think their police powers may not extend to "off the job". I'm not sure if SPOs can carry on school grounds without permission; carry into the statehouse; get in a barfight and be confident the person they attack is the one who will be charged; shoot dogs with impunity; get a "pass" if they have a shooting accident while off duty; etc.

They have no powers off the job or off the property they are SPOs for. No they don't get a pass on an off duty shooting, ask Paul Langone how that 6 months hanging by a toenail worked for him!

Also there is NO "Them" to support us. Each SPO is an "island", there is no organization or union, it's just a bunch of people who work for a bunch of employers.

They have no powers off the job or off the property they are SPOs for. No they don't get a pass on an off duty shooting, ask Paul Langone how that 6 months hanging by a toenail worked for him!
I suspect it worked "slightly", since he was "under investigation" rather than "out on bail". Plus, the system needed to sweep the fact that he was acting as a licensed civilian with no police powers, not as as police officer, at the time of the shooting.

I suspect it worked "slightly", since he was "under investigation" rather than "out on bail". Plus, the system needed to sweep the fact that he was acting as a licensed civilian with no police powers, not as as police officer, at the time of the shooting.

I think a big part of it was his name also. Years ago Paul Langone (Father?, Grandfather?) was a very powerful City Councilor and owner of a funeral parlor that was located where the courthouse is now.

Boston Housing Authority Police are not the same as the now defunct Boston Municipal Police. BHA Police have their own cruisers, radio system, etc. I think they are actually overseen by an officer from the BPD. The same goes for the unarmed Boston School Police. The Municipal Police were disbanded more than 10 years ago. A few were allowed to lateral transfer to BPD, but most were not.

Mike, they can't even have ARs in the city, and the only weapons that they carry are revolvers and perhaps a nightstick and OC.

Many don't wear uniforms, so if they are at a rally or not, you'd never be able to ID them as SPOs.

AFAIK, there is still a Boston Municipal Police org that run real cruisers and cops for the cities housing units. The SPOs referred to here work for private companies and privately owned building complexes.

They don't. The housing developments they patrol are private property. There are a good number of them in Boston, including Harbor Point. Which used to be Columbia Point, but hasn't been in a long time. There used to be a "Harbor Point Patrol" that was a private company that patrolled the development, but I think they are long gone. Longwood Security is one of the larger providers for private housing projects.

I'm not getting into this shitstorm. I'm not signing the petition. I'm shocked the OP asked for help on here knowing what just happened 18 days ago.

Not to be too much of an a-hole, but I've got bigger fish to fry just now. Check back after we get our basic Constitutional rights restored.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom