• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

pet garand loads

So I prepped those c. 55 HXP cases from my two trips out with the service grade and I'm ready to load them this week. Trying to decide on a load or two to try.

Anyone using IMR 3031 with 168 grain bullets? I didn't see 3031 listed in the M1 section of my Hornady manual, if I recall. I didn't check the Hodgdon magazine I have. I just had a pound on hand of the 3031 and was curious.

I figured I'd buy either Varget, IMR 4895, or H4895. Although it looks like IMR 4064 is popular too. The shop I use has been out of Varget for months so I don't expect him to have it.

I originally planned on the 150 grain FMJBT but it looks like 168 is preferred. We'll see what's available. I had an order for Hornady 150grains in my cart from Midway on sale and it wasn't until I tried to check out that I forgot they won't ship them here. Kind of annoying.

Also looking for Mosin bullets.

I use IMR-4064 with great results. If you really want Varget I'm sure either SO, Rileys, or Al's will have it.

I use IMR-4064 with great results. If you really want Varget I'm sure either SO, Rileys, or Al's will have it.
I'll probably just go down the line asking which ones he has. Hopefully he's got .308 diam 168 gr bullets too I am stuck until I can find some.

So I prepped those c. 55 HXP cases from my two trips out with the service grade and I'm ready to load them this week. Trying to decide on a load or two to try.

Anyone using IMR 3031 with 168 grain bullets? I didn't see 3031 listed in the M1 section of my Hornady manual, if I recall. I didn't check the Hodgdon magazine I have. I just had a pound on hand of the 3031 and was curious.

I figured I'd buy either Varget, IMR 4895, or H4895. Although it looks like IMR 4064 is popular too. The shop I use has been out of Varget for months so I don't expect him to have it.

I originally planned on the 150 grain FMJBT but it looks like 168 is preferred. We'll see what's available. I had an order for Hornady 150grains in my cart from Midway on sale and it wasn't until I tried to check out that I forgot they won't ship them here. Kind of annoying.

Also looking for Mosin bullets.

I think for the most part you just can't go wrong with H4895 when selection is slim.
As for bullets...
Honestly after several years the best deal is Nosler custom competition factory 2nds 155s or 168s
They do just as well in any surplus rifle I own and load for.
The hornady 150s FMJBT bulk where a good choice when they where less expensive. These days you can buy Noslers on sale for same and sometimes less. Even hornady match can be found on sale for good prices.
Now for Mosin bullets? .312" bullets just don't seem to be out there in bulk at decent prices
My most recent search only came up with Sierra .311" running at .32¢ each. For me that's to much for the mosin I have. This is also why I have made a shift to cast bullets. I basically have molds to load cast in everything I own. Just need a 22cal for the AR.... I was given 200 pre cast and they shot well.
Might be next after the 300blk project and my 308 garand project

Last edited:
You got my message in the rep point right?
Yes, I am going to take a look. I meant more of my plan to load them in a day or two would be foiled waiting on shipping. Then again I won't be going to the range for a little while so the time crunch is self-imposed.
I think for the most part you just can't go wrong with H4895 when selection is slim.
As for bullets...
Honestly after several years the best deal is Nosler custom competition factory 2nds 155s or 168s
They do just as well in any surplus rifle I own and load for.
The hornady 150s FMJBT bulk where a good choice when they where less expensive. These days you can buy Noslers on sale for same and sometimes less. Even hornady match can be found on sale for good prices.
Now for Mosin bullets? .312" bullets just don't seem to be out there in bulk at decent prices
My most recent search only came up with Sierra .311" running at .32¢ each. For me that's to much for the mosin I have. This is also why I have made a shift to cast bullets. I basically have molds to load cast in everything I own. Just need a 22cal for the AR.... I was given 200 pre cast and they shot well.
Might be next after the 300blk project and my 308 garand project
Yeah the Mosin is more for fun/practice than expecting to save money. I feel like I've gotten a lot better with it the last year or so and wanted an excuse to exercise it some more. I was at Cabela's like a month or so ago and I think they had some of those .311 Sierras but I don't remember the cost. I was looking for other things on that trip anyway and it's too far from me for anything but a designated trip. I know the Dick's in Salem sells loaded ammo, don't remember components. I'd rather go to a local shop anyway.

I've been debating if I should get .223 dies or not. I know a person or two that says they save money with it...but I don't shoot it a lot. I haven't saved any of my brass but I do have several hundred rounds on hand I could save after shooting, I think a mix of Federal and PMC. I still shoot 7.62x39 more than anything.

A friend gave me some .308 Win/.357 mag/.38spl brass but I down own anything in those cals. Was thinking of maybe getting a Ruger Vaquero someday but it would be way down the line. I bought two boxes of .308 in the summer when I planned to buy a .308, and I never did. Debating trying to trade them or just karma them or something.

Yes, I am going to take a look. I meant more of my plan to load them in a day or two would be foiled waiting on shipping. Then again I won't be going to the range for a little while so the time crunch is self-imposed.

Ahh right right.

Yeah the Mosin is more for fun/practice than expecting to save money. I feel like I've gotten a lot better with it the last year or so and wanted an excuse to exercise it some more. I was at Cabela's like a month or so ago and I think they had some of those .311 Sierras but I don't remember the cost. I was looking for other things on that trip anyway and it's too far from me for anything but a designated trip. I know the Dick's in Salem sells loaded ammo, don't remember components. I'd rather go to a local shop anyway.

I've been debating if I should get .223 dies or not. I know a person or two that says they save money with it...but I don't shoot it a lot. I haven't saved any of my brass but I do have several hundred rounds on hand I could save after shooting, I think a mix of Federal and PMC. I still shoot 7.62x39 more than anything.

A friend gave me some .308 Win/.357 mag/.38spl brass but I down own anything in those cals. Was thinking of maybe getting a Ruger Vaquero someday but it would be way down the line. I bought two boxes of .308 in the summer when I planned to buy a .308, and I never did. Debating trying to trade them or just karma them or something.

Loading 223 you can save money and have much better ammo.
The hornady 55gn FMJ bulk bullets will out shoot any M193/M855 or any "NATO" offerings.
The 55s in bulk have been as low as 6¢ each
Good "match" bullets can run 13-25 cents each.
If your not shooting a lot of 223 and running the lower cost brass there's not sure huge gain.
Although having dies handy is not a bad idea.
I started reloading before any of the ammo or component shortage because I was tired of finding what I wanted in the quantities I wanted. It was not even about saving money... I have not saved any money per say. I used to spend 2k or so on ammo now it's spent on components...just shoot more now.

Loading 223 you can save money and have much better ammo.
The hornady 55gn FMJ bulk bullets will out shoot any M193/M855 or any "NATO" offerings.
The 55s in bulk have been as low as 6¢ each
Good "match" bullets can run 13-25 cents each.
If your not shooting a lot of 223 and running the lower cost brass there's not sure huge gain.
Although having dies handy is not a bad idea.
I started reloading before any of the ammo or component shortage because I was tired of finding what I wanted in the quantities I wanted. It was not even about saving money... I have not saved any money per say. I used to spend 2k or so on ammo now it's spent on components...just shoot more now.

Yeah I haven't loaded much .223. Tested a handful using the 55's and H335 over a year ago and haven't shot any reloads since. I only shoot out to 120 yards so wolf gold .223 for 29 cents per round shipped is hard to beat.

Yeah I haven't loaded much .223. Tested a handful using the 55's and H335 over a year ago and haven't shot any reloads since. I only shoot out to 120 yards so wolf gold .223 for 29 cents per round shipped is hard to beat.

Wolf gold for me has always out shot any of the "NATO" ammo and the only thing that came close was IMI. PPU M193 get right up there for cheap decent accuracy ammo...

for some reason I only ever see brass cased .223 at the stores, so it's all I've ever shot in that caliber

for some reason I only ever see brass cased .223 at the stores, so it's all I've ever shot in that caliber

Yeah I don't bother with steel cased. Just stick with brass cased especially with wolf gold at 29 cents per round shipped.

Yeah I don't bother with steel cased. Just stick with brass cased especially with wolf gold at 29 cents per round shipped.
I don't even see wolf, only federal and pmc at 40-50 cents each. Another reason I don't shoot the AR often when I can shoot 7.62x39 for 24 cents each

No Varget at the shop, grabbed a pound of IMR 4895 instead. They did have the IMR 4064, think I'll give that a try next time. The 168gr Noslers should be here on Friday.

I also grabbed 100 Hornady 110gr FMJ for trying with the Mosin, my Hornady manual says 43.2gr of IMR 3031 to start. I think surplus used 147gr bullets? Was looking for IMR 3031 loadings in specifically to use that powder up.

No Varget at the shop, grabbed a pound of IMR 4895 instead. They did have the IMR 4064, think I'll give that a try next time. The 168gr Noslers should be here on Friday.

I also grabbed 100 Hornady 110gr FMJ for trying with the Mosin, my Hornady manual says 43.2gr of IMR 3031 to start. I think surplus used 147gr bullets? Was looking for IMR 3031 loadings in specifically to use that powder up.

Save the 110s for the M1 Or other 308... Your mosin if it's a 91/30 will like .311-.312" bullets better. Who knows maybe you have a nice snug bore and the 110s will do well for you.

I expect it would slug .311-.312. I bought dies with a 308 expander, with everything saying it was "most common" due to a wider variety of bullets being available. I wanted .311 expander but figured I would try 308 first since I wanted more reloading experience rather than looking for pure accuracy. Most of the Hornady manual loads if I recall are for 308 diam. I was planning on trying 7.62x54r more as experience/proof of concept. I had no M1s at the time to reload for. I only have 20 PPU brass for 7.62, the rest of my ammo is berdan Eastern Bloc surplus or berdan primed Barnaul. I do see hunting loads around at stores, but never bothered buying any for the brass. I still see surplus around, but not as often as a couple years ago. I wanted a contingency plan for when it gets really dried up.

I expect 308 diam to not yield great accuracy. I was planning on 20 test rounds, if it doesn't work I'll save the 110gr 308s and then find a .311 expander to try.

I expect it would slug .311-.312. I bought dies with a 308 expander, with everything saying it was "most common" due to a wider variety of bullets being available. I wanted .311 expander but figured I would try 308 first since I wanted more reloading experience rather than looking for pure accuracy. Most of the Hornady manual loads if I recall are for 308 diam. I was planning on trying 7.62x54r more as experience/proof of concept. I had no M1s at the time to reload for. I only have 20 PPU brass for 7.62, the rest of my ammo is berdan Eastern Bloc surplus or berdan primed Barnaul. I do see hunting loads around at stores, but never bothered buying any for the brass. I still see surplus around, but not as often as a couple years ago. I wanted a contingency plan for when it gets really dried up.

I expect 308 diam to not yield great accuracy. I was planning on 20 test rounds, if it doesn't work I'll save the 110gr 308s and then find a .311 expander to try.

Sounds good....waiting your results.
Make sure you give those bullets a nice clean bore to start with. Your first 2-4 shots might not go so well until the bore seasons up to the bullets.
I will be testing my newest Arisaka and cast loads today. If you want to plan ahead for uncertain times and ammo availability start finding lead and casting gear along with some molds...except for the cost of a few molds, Lee Sixers and propane my cost to get into casting was very very little.

Last edited:
Sounds good....waiting your results.
Make sure you give those bullets a nice clean bore to start with. Your first 2-4 shots might not go so well until the bore seasons up to the bullets.
I will be testing my newest Arisaka and cast loads today. If you want to plan ahead for uncertain times and ammo availability start finding lead and casting gear along with some molds...except for the cost of a few molds, Lee Sixers and propane my cost to get into casting was very very little.

I bought 400 rounds of S&B M2 ball to get started and saving the cases to reload. I’m assuming your cast bullets aren’t jacketed? What kind of lead build up to you get in the bore?

I bought 400 rounds of S&B M2 ball to get started and saving the cases to reload. I’m assuming your cast bullets aren’t jacketed? What kind of lead build up to you get in the bore?
I have not had any leading issues in any of my rifles im shooting cast through. 90% of my cast loads run between 1150-1650fps and only my M1 garand loads run a bit faster. I use copper gas checks on all my cast loads over 1200fps. I use white label 2500 bullet lube.
I put about 300 rounds of cast loads through one of my M1 and leading was a non issue had a few specs of lead through out the bore but nothing i would classify as leading. proper sized bullets pushed at velocities appropriate for the alloy should net you a lead free bore

Back
Top Bottom