• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Peruta STANDS! Update post 70: Nope

It would be inappropriate for a President (any President) to ask a Justice to retire or resign. The President does not have the power to break up a Circuit.

The President can propose that a Circuit be broken up, but that would require a law to be passed.

Judges have been impeached and convicted, but I'm not sure that a Supreme Court Justice has ever been impeached, let alone convicted.

1 has been impeached, though not convicted, and the charges were drawn up at the request of the President... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samuel_Chase#Impeachment

Ruthie had her chance to retire during Barry's 2nd term and she declined. No way would she retire with Trump in office, her legacy would be destroyed by the liberals.

At least we know where Gorsuch stands.

Supreme Court rejects 2nd Amendment challenge to California limits on carrying guns in public

Justice Clarence Thomas, joined by Justice Neil M. Gorsuch, said the court should have accepted the case.

“The Court’s decision to deny certiorari in this case reflects a distressing trend: the treatment of the Second Amendment as a disfavored right,” Thomas wrote, adding. “For those of us who work in marbled halls, guarded constantly by a vigilant and dedicated police force, the guarantees of the Second Amendment might seem antiquated and superfluous. But the Framers made a clear choice: They reserved to all Americans the right to bear arms for self-defense. I do not think we should stand by idly while a State denies its citizens that right, particularly when their very lives may depend on it.”

So it sounds like the SC has to have 4 justices vote in the affirmative to take the case. So we need Kennedy and RBG to go away asap. 7-2 ain't good.

This means that Kennedy, Roberts and Alito all voted against taking on this case. WTF?!

This means that Kennedy, Roberts and Alito all voted against taking on this case. WTF?!
What does this tell us that we didn't know before? Kennedy and Roberts in particular have a pretty bad track record. Just look at Roberts ACA opinion to see what he thinks of the constitution.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

This isn't a decision. This is merely rejection of cert. It has no direct affect on any circuit aside from the 9th.

Some times justices reject cert because they think the vehicle is poor (Peruta seemed like a good vehicle though). Other times they reject because of politics. And in other cases, because they felt shitty that day.

Maybe waiting on a Kennedy and or Bryer/Ginsberg replacement? I get the feeling Roberts is wobly and they didn't want to chance it on him and Kennedy.

What does this tell us that we didn't know before? Kennedy and Roberts in particular have a pretty bad track record. Just look at Roberts ACA opinion to see what he thinks of the constitution.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Fantastic point. Roberts is a statist. He proved that by the contortions he had to go through to justify the individual mandate!

Who voted against hearing it? The FoxNews article said two of the women said they'd hear it. Thomas and Gorsuch would have heard it, so the other 5 said no? Weird.

Roberts is bad news.

Lets not forget that the Supreme Court also declined to hear a same sex marriage case in October 2014. 8 months later they ruled in Obergefell. The court declining to hear a case is not an indication of how they would rule if it was heard.

Back
Top Bottom