Perspectives on Manliness from an Egyptian Revolutionary

Good piece, with a lot of points that could well be taken to heart both by our supposed leaders and by some of the people posting here. I will, however disagree somewhat with a couple of his later points.
  • A man isn’t afraid of putting his life at risk.
  • A man isn’t afraid to admit his mistakes and willingness to change.
Time to get real. Anybody who isn't afraid to put his life at risk is either a liar, some sort of psychotic or just a plain fool. The only difference between a hero and a coward is that the hero controls his fear, while the coward's fear controls him. (I'll admit that there are rare occasions when the berserker takes over in us, but I consider that as a form of temporary insanity, no matter how useful or "manly".) Unless someone has absolutely no sense of self, the same holds to a lesser degree when it comes to admitting mistakes.

Ken

Good read, and to think that some here wanted to "nuke the site from orbit".

Collateral damage. We used to be OK with that, like when we firebombed Japan and Germany indiscriminately. I'm not exactly throwing Egyptian revolutionary parties yet. Let's see what kind of government actually takes over before we start counting our chickens.

That said, dude seems like a decent guy.

I took him to mean "A man isn't so afraid of these things that he refuses to do them", rather than "A man has no fear of these things".

Good piece, with a lot of points that could well be taken to heart both by our supposed leaders and by some of the people posting here. I will, however disagree somewhat with a couple of his later points.
  • A man isn’t afraid of putting his life at risk.
  • A man isn’t afraid to admit his mistakes and willingness to change.
Time to get real. Anybody who isn't afraid to put his life at risk is either a liar, some sort of psychotic or just a plain fool. The only difference between a hero and a coward is that the hero controls his fear, while the coward's fear controls him. (I'll admit that there are rare occasions when the berserker takes over in us, but I consider that as a form of temporary insanity, no matter how useful or "manly".) Unless someone has absolutely no sense of self, the same holds to a lesser degree when it comes to admitting mistakes.

Ken

Back
Top Bottom