Personal transfer after surrender to police

bigben111435

NES Member
As far as a transfer after surrender of firearms to police, is there still a limit of (4) transfers then the rest must be transferred to an FFL? I searched around some other threads and did not see much information. Also looking at Section 129D I am not seeing any language on this. Thanks!

As far as a transfer after surrender of firearms to police, is there still a limit of (4) transfers then the rest must be transferred to an FFL?

No. I had a client surrender then transfer 12.
But....

There was a quirk in the portal. It generated the printable FA10s, but only actually recorded the first four. The transferee had to "register" the remaining guns in order for them to show up in his name on their system.

But....

There was a quirk in the portal. It generated the printable FA10s, but only actually recorded the first four. The transferee had to "register" the remaining guns in order for them to show up in his name on their system.
:emoji_confounded:

I have been told that there is no limit when doing this sort of transfer. However, PDs frequently make shit up about giving up the guns that they confiscated.

I have been told that there is no limit when doing this sort of transfer. However, PDs frequently make shit up about giving up the guns that they confiscated.

this is it..... convoluted
if i can find any cogent written law which addresses this i will post

But....

Interesting. Why did the transferee "register" the remaining? there is no requirement to have guns that are registered (this is not NY state) or for the recipient to take action. As I read 140 128A and 140 131E the burden of using the online portal is fully on the seller. The buyer must present their LTC/FID, but that completes their obligation. The seller is responsible to insure that the recording of the transaction occurs.

When I tell people the ways they can end up legally possessing firearms (generic term, not MA definition) without them being registered, this is one of the ways
1) bring them in when you move here and apply for LTC within 60 days, no need to register
2) have them prior to 1968 or whatever the date was that records had to be kept
3) state lost or threw out records (water is bad)
4) seller failed to properly register/record transfer. A lot easier when it was paper (fail to mail, etc). Not the buyers problem
5) Bring them into the state or assemble them less than 7 days ago (you have them but have not run out your 7 day window to register)

There might be other ways.

So curious why they did the registration themselves when they acquired them legally and even have paper proof.

Interesting. Why did the transferee "register" the remaining?
LTC renewal denied. Police seized all guns from safe including wife’s and dad’s. Refused to return until “properly registered”. Registered to get guns back, then sued PD. Can’t disclose settlement terms, but I was pretty happy.

They are wrong in this case. Nobody there is a lawyer or has expertise in Mass gun law. They are well known to try to be helpful and giving out bad legal info.

Well, now that they're sniffing the AGs body odor for entertainment, or at least the back-end management is, almost nothing they say can be trusted, wouldn't be surprised if it's deliberate at this point.

-Mike

LTC renewal denied. Police seized all guns from safe including wife’s and dad’s. Refused to return until “properly registered”. Registered to get guns back, then sued PD. Can’t disclose settlement terms, but I was pretty happy.

Can you disclose the PD/jurisdiction?

Back
Top Bottom