• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Permits needed for 48 of 50 states

It's 47 now. AK, AZ, and VT require no permit to carry a concealed handgun, although the first 2 issue permits for the sake of reciprocity, FOPA, etc.

-Mike

Keep in mind many of the states that the UTAH and FLORIDA permits list do not recognize permit holders that are non residents. of Florida or Utah.

At least this is how I understand it.

IMO it’s a fraud that a CCW trainer advertises that the UTAH or FLORIDA permit has reciprocity with the 34 or how many ever states if its not honored by the state in question if one is a non resident. Anyone else hold the same opinion ?

Check the link for more info.
http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/news/concealed_carry.html

(4) These states will honor the Florida concealed weapon license ONLY IF the licensee is a resident of the State of Florida.

FLORIDA'S RECIPROCITY STATES
Alabama (1,3,5)
Alaska (1)
Arizona (6)
Arkansas (1)
Colorado (1,4)
Delaware
Georgia (1)
Idaho (3,6)
Indiana (1,3,6)
Kansas (1)
Kentucky
Louisiana (1)
Michigan (1,4)
Mississippi (1)
Missouri
Montana (3)
Nebraska (1)
New Hampshire (1,3,4,6)
New Mexico (1)
North Carolina (1)
North Dakota (3,6)
Ohio (1)
Oklahoma (1)
Pennsylvania (1,6)
South Carolina (1,4,6)
South Dakota (1,3)
Tennessee (1,6)
Texas (1,3,6)
Utah (1,6)
Vermont (2)
Virginia (1,6)
Washington (1,6)
West Virginia (1)
Wyoming (1,3)

Last edited:
I agree sam. The gimmick is pretty ridiculous. Imagine if one of these people listened to them, and drove into one of the states that don't recognize it? Some little sales gimmick may have landed the guy a 7 year sentence.

The non-res NH permit isn't valid in FL and FL (non-res.) permit isn't accepted in NH.
Some CCW maps and firearms training classes seem a little fuzzy with actual reciprocity especially with the high profile Utah & FLA. permits and non-resident Vs. resident Lic.holders.

I find this map a bit more acurate
http://www.usacarry.com/concealed_carry_permit_reciprocity_maps.html

Last edited:
If you're from Massachusetts, you can't possibly (legally) carry in Wisconsin, Illinois, New York and New Jersey. The first two don't issue licenses/permits to anybody. The latter two don't issue permits to non-residents. So I think, in theory, you could, in theory carry in 46 states safely using some combination of non-resident permits.

Hawaii does not issue permits and does not recognize anyone else's permits either. Hell, they had to pass a special law a couple of years ago to allow the International Chief's of Police conference to carry at their meeting in Honolulu. State didn't want LEOs carrying not on official business.

An out of state Rhode Island permit is like gold too.
Maybe that's why they use the color paper they do :)

As of 2006 there were 4708 valid RI AG pemits, which includes both non-resident and resident permits issued by the AG's office.

http://forum.cralri.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1678&hilit=survey

The biggie that RI covers, that is not covered by any of the other readily available non-resident permits, is NV. (Yes, NV issues non-resident, but you have to take a course in NV and apply in person to get one).

Last edited:
CA doesnt issue NR, either from what I remember.....so, assuming we are stationed in MA, we realistically cannot carry concealed in: NY, NJ, IL, WI, CA and HI. Hopefully my reading is correct.

CO as well - they do not issue to non-residents, and only grant reciprocity to resident permits, and MA is not on their list.

You can also forget about carrying in MD too, more or less. Not sure if there is a resident/non stipulation, but 99% of people will not fit into the narrow boxes they set up for issuance. Worse yet, there appears to be influence in the process by whoever is the governor at the time, and since MD is pretty much a "moonbats at the top" type of state, that means the situation likely goes between "bad" and "worse". Even among permits issued the vast majority are restricted- eg, the "large cash deposit' guys are only entitled to carry while actually making the deposit, etc, it's not a blanket exemption like what even some of the red towns in MA do for those that fit in their box.

-Mike

An out of state Rhode Island permit is like gold too. There aren't many.

RI is a pain in the rear but there are worse states. IMHO anyone persistent enough can probably get an RI permit. On the other hand, persistence and tenacity won't solve things like an NYC or an MD permit.

-Mike

I did a pretty significant breakdown of this recently here. As others have mentioned, there are some states that are just a no go.

Utah is bogus and, basically, a scam. First of all, you don't need anything beyond your LTC-A to carry in UT? Second, something like 14 of the states it covers are already covered by MA in one way or another while 4 won't honor a non res license. Finally you have to take a nearly worthless class for $100 plus pay the 60 something dollars to UT. FL is $117, doesn't require an extra class beyond what you already had to take for MA and covers nearly the same amount of states except it gives you FL as well.

if you have all of these permits then you can carry in every state except Illinois and Wisconsin (as they don't issue): CA, CT, FL, HI, IA, ME, MD, MA, NV, NH, NJ, NY, OR, PA, RI, UT, DC.

LE are the only ones who can carry in DC.

AFAIK, NY & NJ do not issue NR permits. Might be a few others that don't too IIRC.

South Carolina only issues them to landowners in the state.

Hawaii does not issue permits and does not recognize anyone else's permits either. Hell, they had to pass a special law a couple of years ago to allow the International Chief's of Police conference to carry at their meeting in Honolulu. State didn't want LEOs carrying not on official business.

They also helpfully ignore federal law.

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/97409-LEOSA-issues-in-Hawaii/page2

You can also forget about carrying in MD too, more or less.

Yup. Their cops even mess with other cops for carrying.

Utah is bogus and, basically, a scam. First of all, you don't need anything beyond your LTC-A to carry in UT? Second, something like 14 of the states it covers are already covered by MA in one way or another while 4 won't honor a non res license. Finally you have to take a nearly worthless class for $100 plus pay the 60 something dollars to UT. FL is $117, doesn't require an extra class beyond what you already had to take for MA and covers nearly the same amount of states except it gives you FL as well.

UT is much cheaper than FL to renew, so it costs less in the long run.

South Carolina only issues them to landowners in the state.

UT is much cheaper than FL to renew, so it costs less in the long run.

Thanks. I knew that there was a Southern state, but didn't recall which one.

MANY more people on the East Coast will go to FL in a given year than those that will travel to UT! The downside to UT permit is that you can't CCW in FL with it and if most of us travel, FL is more often a "choice destination" than UT is.

Thanks. I knew that there was a Southern state, but didn't recall which one.

MANY more people on the East Coast will go to FL in a given year than those that will travel to UT! The downside to UT permit is that you can't CCW in FL with it and if most of us travel, FL is more often a "choice destination" than UT is.

No problem. A FL permit will cover you for 70% of the drive down 95 too, more if you adjust your route a little and get a few other permits. If it's a non-res. you'd have to keep it in the glove compartment through SC, but that's still closer than FOPA compliant in the trunk.

And don't forget, FL permits are issued by Charles Bronson.

http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/weapons/self_defense.html

Charles H. Bronson, Commissioner

deathwish1.jpg

[laugh]

CO as well - they do not issue to non-residents, and only grant reciprocity to resident permits, and MA is not on their list.

They do not distinguish between "resident and non Resident". You can get a Colorado CCW and live in another state. On the application itself it has

**If not a Colorado resident, please explain in a separate attachment why you want a permit, and identify any property or business you own in Colorado.

The problem you may run into is finding a licensing county that will accept your application from out of state. They require finger prints in person and your application to be signed in front of the issuing authority.

It's 47 now. AK, AZ, and VT require no permit to carry a concealed handgun, although the first 2 issue permits for the sake of reciprocity, FOPA, etc.

-Mike

did AZ change? when i was stationed out there 8 years ago it was...

you can buy any firearm with a AZ drivers license
you can open carry with no permit

but you NEED a permit to concealed carry

did AZ change? when i was stationed out there 8 years ago it was...

you can buy any firearm with a AZ drivers license
you can open carry with no permit

but you NEED a permit to concealed carry

As of 7/29/10, no permit is required to carry concealed.

Add WI though you have to open carry.

WI allows open carry for residents and anyone else, as long as there is no reason not to legally own a handgun.

There are pockets of locations where there are some issues and it should get straightened out in 2011 as the state substantially voted right in the November election. WI will end up with better open carry, concealed carry, or both.

Cannot be loaded in motorized vehicles, must be in some type of case, does not have to be locked, ammo can be in same case but handgun must be empty. In a boat, follow same thing if motor is on.

Five locations cannot carry. Government buildings, state parks or fish hatcheries, within 1000 feet of a school, restaurants serving alcohol, and vehicles as mentioned.

Dana

According to what I can find on http://www.handgunlaw.us/LicMaps/ccwmap.php if you have all of these permits then you can carry in every state except Illinois and Wisconsin (as they don't issue): CA, CT, FL, HI, IA, ME, MD, MA, NV, NH, NJ, NY, OR, PA, RI, UT, DC.

Sorry. I am bored at work.
No, it doesn't. Some states (CO, MI, FL, SC, NH and a couple of others) will not accept your license unless you are a resident of the state that issued the license.

Colorado has reciprocity with NH. But Colorado does not accept non-resident licenses. So even though I have a NH license, it is a non-resident license, so I cannot legally carry in CO because:
a) CO and OH do not have reciprocity
b) CO does not accept non-resident licenses, even if they are from a state with which they have reciprocity.
c) CO does not issue its own non-resident licenses.

They do not distinguish between "resident and non Resident". You can get a Colorado CCW and live in another state. On the application itself it has

From the Larimer County Sheriff's Office CHP application packet:
The applicant must meet the following criteria:
1) Is a legal resident of the State of Colorado. A person, who is a member of the Armed Forces and is stationed pursuant to permanent duty station orders at a military installation in this state, and a member of the person’s immediate family living in Colorado, shall be deemed to be a legal resident of the State of Colorado.

http://www.larimersheriff.org/CHP/

AFAIK, NY & NJ do not issue NR permits. Might be a few others that don't too IIRC.

Y'know, I'd have said that, too, a few months ago. But my buddy reminded me that he used to have a NY carry permit, good even in NYC, many years ago. Now, he was working as a security guard at the time, so that probably explains how he got it, but he definitely had a NY carry permit, and he was living in NJ at the time.

Don't know if that can still be gotten. I'd guess if you contribute enough money to Michael Bloomberg's next campaign, you probably could.

The problem you may run into is finding a licensing county that will accept your application from out of state. They require finger prints in person and your application to be signed in front of the issuing authority.

There's a lawsuit going on because of their policies.

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...resting-out-of-state-carry-case-from-Colorado

anyone know if the thune amendment will be re-introduced?

I'd love to see it pass, but I'd still expect to see the main anti gun states causing massive problems for people over it.

Five locations cannot carry. Government buildings, state parks or fish hatcheries, within 1000 feet of a school, restaurants serving alcohol, and vehicles as mentioned.

While I find gun free zones a stupid concept in the first place, the bolded part makes me scratch my head.

Y'know, I'd have said that, too, a few months ago. But my buddy reminded me that he used to have a NY carry permit, good even in NYC, many years ago. Now, he was working as a security guard at the time, so that probably explains how he got it, but he definitely had a NY carry permit, and he was living in NJ at the time.

Someone from this forum used to have a NY "non-res." From what they said, the rules have tightened up a lot more recently.

Back
Top Bottom