• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Permit to possess mags in RI?

Does a RI resident need a permit to possess handgun or rifle mags? Sounds like a silly question but just making sure.

Thanks!

No, RI has no restriction on the possession of handgun or rifle magazines. In order to purchase a handgun, a RI resident needs to possess a "Blue Card".

...or have a pistol permit. But I'm not sure if both the AG and town permits allow someone to purchase.

The AG and town permits are for CCW. If one possesses an AG or town permit, they will be able to purchase a handgun as they have already proven that they have passed the minimum requirements to purchase a concealable weapon in RI (i.e., have taken an approved safety course which results in either a Blue Card or an approved Hunter Education certificate). For holders of a town CCW permit, most shops will waive the 7 day waiting period when purchasing. However, neither one is required in order to possess or purchase handgun or rifle magazines.

The AG and town permits are for CCW. If one possesses an AG or town permit, they will be able to purchase a handgun as they have already proven that they have passed the minimum requirements to purchase a concealable weapon in RI (i.e., have taken an approved safety course which results in either a Blue Card or an approved Hunter Education certificate). For holders of a town CCW permit, most shops will waive the 7 day waiting period when purchasing. However, neither one is required in order to possess or purchase handgun or rifle magazines.
Actually, there is no requirement to prove any kind of training in RI to get a CCW so you will still "usually" have to show your Blue Card or Hunter's Safety Card when purchasing a firearm in RI. If you have a town CCW, you don't have to wait the 7 days, but you still have to show proof of training. I know some dealers waive it if you have a permit, but I actually think they are wrong about that (according to RI law).

A dealer can only waive the 7 day waiting period if you have a town permit (issued under 11-47-11). If you have an AG issued permit (under 11-47-18), you will still have to wait 7 days.
§ 11-47-35.1 Persons exempt from § 11-47-35. – The provisions of § 11-47-35 shall not apply to full-time members of the state police, full-time members of the state marshal's office, full-time members of city or town police departments, or state marshals or correctional officers or persons licensed under § 11-47-11.

http://www.rilin.state.ri.us/statutes/title11/11-47/11-47-35.1.HTM

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom