Permit to carry application question

I had submitted my application for a permit to carry to the chief of police in Providencve to be signed. This signature is required when one applies through the Attorney General. I had submitted it on Tuesday, December 15, and still had no response from them. Does anyone know when should I expect my application to be signed?
Thanks!

I had submitted my application for a permit to carry to the chief of police in Providencve to be signed. This signature is required when one applies through the Attorney General. I had submitted it on Tuesday, December 15, and still had no response from them. Does anyone know when should I expect my application to be signed?
Thanks!

Look for pigs flying. Then and only then. [wink]

Good for you. Glad to see you giving it a go. Keep us informed if you may.

They are on their own scedule, I've heard as much as 4 weeks. While you are waiting, get in touch with licencing at PPD and try to request an app for a city permit.

You can have a clerk sign the application. It is not required to have the COP sign the application it is only a verification of residency and the town clerk can sign it. I actually had the town administrator sign mine. I would reprint the application and take it to another city clerk or official. It will not have an affect on the application process.

See below:
TO THE CHIEF OF POLICE OR CITY HALL OFFICIAL_________________________________________
City or Town and State

THIS IS TO INFORM YOU THAT ____________________________________________________________
Applicant’s Name (Printed or Typed)

IS APPLYING FOR A PISTOL PERMIT TO CARRY A CONCEALED PISTOL OR REVOLVER IN THE
STATE OF RHODE ISLAND. WE WOULD LIKE FOR YOU TO VERIFY THAT THIS SUBJECT LIVES
IN YOUR CITY OR TOWN OR STATE, IN YOUR JURISDICTION ONLY. (POLICE CHIEF MAY SEND
IN LETTER IF HE/OR SHE WISHES REGARDING THE APPLICANT)

Since it is only a verification of residency I would call the BCI division and speak to the chief and ask him how to proceed. I have had very favorable responses from them. They always return phone calls and are very courteous.

You may be able to just attach a valid proof of residency to the application.

IMO obtaining a RI Permit was not a difficult process. The letter showing need is probably the biggest stumbling point but I know some who have been refused and appealed. They sat down with the BCI chief and have since received their permit.

It was the legeslature's intent for the signature to be just a verification of residency, hence the language to allow the town clerk to attest. However, most police chiefs have ordered town clerks to not sign, because they want to have a vested interest in the process. They want to feel important. That is why the chiefs won't sign an incomplete app. If they want to get this involved in the process, why do they not follow the law and issue via 11-47-11. More people should get these chiefs to issue permits.
Back on topic, the AG will not process without the signature.

IMO obtaining a RI Permit was not a difficult process. The letter showing need is probably the biggest stumbling point but I know some who have been refused and appealed. They sat down with the BCI chief and have since received their permit.

From everything I have seen, an applicant for a RI permit appealing a denial to the BCI chief has a better chance than an applicant for a MA unrestricted LTC has appealing to the independent judiciary.

From everything I have seen, an applicant for a RI permit appealing a denial to the BCI chief has a better chance than an applicant for a MA unrestricted LTC has appealing to the independent judiciary.

Bizarre, but true.

Even more bizarre when you realize that the "appeal" in RI is heard by the person who denied you to begin with.

Bizarre, but true.

Even more bizarre when you realize that the "appeal" in RI is heard by the person who denied you to begin with.

Semi-related trivia: Scrivener is admitted to the RI Bar - and, as far as I know, is the only one of the "big three" licensed to practice in that state.

Take your own advice (in your sig) and "Never give up". Push them to give you an answer one way or the other. Good luck.

Has there been any follow up on this? I live in the south coast and do a lot of travel in RI for obvious reasons and would like to apply for a non-res LTC.

Has there been any follow up on this? I live in the south coast and do a lot of travel in RI for obvious reasons and would like to apply for a non-res LTC.

I would reccomend applying to Burrillville or Warwick. Warwick has the least painfull process, however they ( illegaly) jacked their permit fee to $200. Burrillville will also issue to non residents, but their app is a PITA and requires multiple trips in person to Burrillville PD.

I would reccomend applying to Burrillville or Warwick. Warwick has the least painfull process, however they ( illegaly) jacked their permit fee to $200. Burrillville will also issue to non residents, but their app is a PITA and requires multiple trips in person to Burrillville PD.

Thanks for the quick response plumber. I actually just started to do some research on this for RI. So I can apply to any town in RI and not go throught the AG's office? The two towns you recommended seem to be the most sufficient for non-res?

Per RIGL 11-47-11 a non resident may apply to any city or town in the state. However, not every town complies. For most towns, it usually takes a law suit to get them to issue to town residents. Burrillville states on their app and policy that they issue to non residents, and I know people from the PR of Ma that have Warwick permits.

http://www.burrillville.org/Public_... GUN PERMIT APPLICATION FORM ON 3-30-2005.pdf

I found the Burrillville application online. As far as the finger prints, do I do that at the stations or have my local PD do them and then bring them with me to the Burrillville PD? Also, do I need to demonstrate that I can fire a revolver or semi-auto? I know it says on the form NRA basic training but thought I read somewhere that a demonstration was needed?

All fingerprints must be done at the issuing PD, it's a revenue thing. As far as qualification, there is no training. You have to qualify, 30 rounds at an army L target from 25 yards. You must score a 195 or more witnessed by an NRA certified pistol instructor. As well you can only carry the caliber you qualify with or smaller.

All fingerprints must be done at the issuing PD, it's a revenue thing.
While I don't know about the RI PD issued permits, I can say with absolute certainty that the RI AG has accepted print cards done by MA PD's. The thumbprint on the permit is taken in person after approval of the application.

We keep the Army L targets in stock at Hopkinton, and can do a qualifications by appointment - generally an evening other than Wed or Sat at about 10AM.

The qualifying caliber will be listed on the back of the RI permit.

All fingerprints must be done at the issuing PD, it's a revenue thing. As far as qualification, there is no training. You have to qualify, 30 rounds at an army L target from 25 yards. You must score a 195 or more witnessed by an NRA certified pistol instructor. As well you can only carry the caliber you qualify with or smaller.

OK- and all that can be done or told to me during the submission of the application? I don't know a RI NRA certified pistol instructor and is there a certain location in RI where the test is done? Sorry for all the questions, but there isn't to many stickies at the top of the RI laws section.

and whos gun do you use? I'm sure that would make all the difference in the world.

Geeze... now that I think of it, my girlfriend shoots a .22 snubby and theres no way in hell I can hit the target with consistency from 25yds...

...well I haven't tried but I'm assuming it would be tough.

While I don't know about the RI PD issued permits, I can say with absolute certainty that the RI AG has accepted print cards done by MA PD's. The thumbprint on the permit is taken in person after approval of the application.

We keep the Army L targets in stock at Hopkinton, and can do a qualifications by appointment - generally an evening other than Wed or Sat at about 10AM.

The qualifying caliber will be listed on the back of the RI permit.

OK - So I'm assuming then that "any" NRA instructor can qualify even if it is not in RI?

Any NRA pistol instructor can qualify you. If you can't find any voulunteers, Let me know. I'm in Smithfield.

As for the fingerprints, the AG will accept from any PD. The towns want to do it so they can charge you and make more money.

Thanks plumer. I'll let you know what I decide to do. If I do end up applying for my permit my girlfriend would do the same as well.

Thanks again,

OK - So I'm assuming then that "any" NRA instructor can qualify even if it is not in RI?
Yes, as long as the instructor is not the applicant. I get one of the other instructors at the local club to do my qualification every 4 years.

You can use any gun you want. Although I don't have a carry gun in 45, I always take the test with a 1911 in 45 since the maximum caliber is marked on the back of the permit.

AG issues permits (and perhaps town permits, but I've never seen one of those) list a restriction. There is plenty of talk on www.cralri.com regarding the meaning of the restriction - with "none" being the most desirable. Since I am not certain which conclusion regarding the restriction on RI permits is correct, I will not weigh with an attempt to explain it.

Last edited:
What if I am interested in bringing my AR to my parents farm in RI to shoot. And not realy interested in carrying my handgun there. What permit do I need. Is the NR LTC only good for handguns? If not which caliber takes precident. Is .223 higher than 45?

From what I have read on other threads in the RI section it seems like I may not need any type of RI permit to bring my rifle with me if it is locked in a case unloaded. It seems that Rob and Scrivner are the RI experts. And I even saw that Scriv may answer the question directly if asked nicely. [grin] So Scriv can I bring my AR to my parents house in RI to shoot? [grin]
I have a MA LTCA so the high cap thing is covered. (The smilies are asking nicely.)
We shoot rifles on the property all the time so that is not an issue getting there and back is the question.
Thanks
bob

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom