Permit holder living with a non-permit holder?

Old story - he says yes, she says no,

Anyone know the best legal solution to living with someone who refuses to get a permit? Is it that they can't know the combination to the safe?

Thanks

Anyone know the best legal solution to living with someone who refuses to get a permit? Is it that they can't know the combination to the safe?

Thanks
Pretty much, that prevents them from having access.
But, I sure hope that's only a temporary solution or it's not going to end well.

Yeah, part of the equation is: why "no"?

If it's hatred, that's one thing.

If it's fear, that's a different issue.

If it's "Meh" - ness (I'm not going to use it, so I don't need the permission slip), that's a still-different situation.

The second and third cases can be rectified with education.

Since in MA, I would think adhering to proper storage solves the legal issue. If the relationship doesn't include respecting each other's differences when values are not aligned- that part is broken and should corrected one way or another. Something that happens to be a constitutionally protected right is one of those differences that should be respected.

Shouldn't be an issue. My wife is anti-gun. But she is a decent shot and took the course so she could safely handle any guns that might be sitting on the coffee table "for cleaning."
An issue would be if she didn't want them in the house. We follow the don't ask don't tell policy for EDC.
You are legal if she doesn't know the combination and guns are always stored.

Thanks
"No access, no crime committed"

Sucks though because her not being licensed makes things annoying and perilous. Left a mag in your car with ammo in it? She can't legally drive it by herself. Among about 100 other scenarios.... if this is a long term thing she should get her license even if she has little interest, if anything, to cover herself and your back if you got incapacitated etc.

"No access, no crime committed"

Sucks though because her not being licensed makes things annoying and perilous. Left a mag in your car with ammo in it? She can't legally drive it by herself. Among about 100 other scenarios.... if this is a long term thing she should get her license even if she has little interest, if anything, to cover herself and your back if you got incapacitated etc.
This right here. Great advice for why she should get her LTC, even if she has no interest in firearms.

Thanks
The solution is simple, just get rid of her. Unless you want to deal with that situation for the rest of your life.

Shouldn't be an issue. My wife is anti-gun. But she is a decent shot and took the course so she could safely handle any guns that might be sitting on the coffee table "for cleaning."
An issue would be if she didn't want them in the house. We follow the don't ask don't tell policy for EDC.
You are legal if she doesn't know the combination and guns are always stored.
Similar here. When we got married, 30 years ago, my wife came from a “no—gun” family. Not anti, just no real gun exposure. She now is licensed in MA and FL and occasionally ups me a gun.😉

As said above, in Mass it is about access to the weapons and ammo. You need to do your part too and not leave anything unsecured. Remember that in this state reloading components meet the definition of ammo.

At the end of the day it is best for her to be able to handle weapons safely and be licensed.

Bob

Is an LTC required if the firearms never leave the premises in her custody? I thought you are allowed to keep & bear arms in your home under 2A. In MA to take them outside requires the permit.

Similar to inheritance situation when surviving spouse is not licenced?

Is an LTC required if the firearms never leave the premises in her custody? I thought you are allowed to keep & bear arms in your home under 2A. In MA to take them outside requires the permit.

Similar to inheritance situation when surviving spouse is not licenced?
As stated above in different ways, it's access to guns and ammo. MA laws say only licensed people can have access.

All our three boys have licenses, I have a license but my wife is not interested at all. She has no objection but just not interested, we've taught her enough to be safe, don't touch assume loaded etc. Keeps us honest in that we don't leave things lying around in the home and car.

Advantages:
  • You always have ammo
  • Safe is private, she is not allowed the combination
    • No idea of how many we have
    • Receipts in safe, no idea of price
    • etc..
  • I can yell, don't come in!, I'm cleaning my weapon
  • Tell her I'm off to the range and go to a gun store instead

I dont understand the problem, my wife is not interested in getting a license so the safe stays locked when im not in it. It's just common safety practice for me, the legality is a secondary thought

NES basic Rules: Pictures of wife needed to make a full NES forum determination.
Correct, this will determine either a guilty or not guilty verdict

Seriously, take her to the range.
Tell her "If there's guns in the house, you should at least know how to handle them properly"
Your sex life will improve dramatically and she'll be pestering you constantly "when can we go to the range again? That was really fun"

All our three boys have licenses, I have a license but my wife is not interested at all. She has no objection but just not interested, we've taught her enough to be safe, don't touch assume loaded etc. Keeps us honest in that we don't leave things lying around in the home and car.

Advantages:
  • You always have ammo
  • Safe is private, she is not allowed the combination
    • No idea of how many we have
    • Receipts in safe, no idea of price
    • etc..
  • I can yell, don't come in!, I'm cleaning my weapon
  • Tell her I'm off to the range and go to a gun store instead

That's the move. Go to the range with an empty rifle case, come home with new gun.

Back
Top Bottom