• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Permission?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I read the rules but I may have missed something. Why do I not have permission to reply to classified ads? Thank you.

Because that is the way the owner of the site set it up. PM or email the OP.

Because that is the way the owner of the site set it up. PM or email the OP.

What if you can’t even PM or email the OP? Wondering why as an NES Member I cant reply to a classified ad. Was able to before the upgrade, have bought firearms on here before (last Summer was the last time I did).

Nobody can reply to an ad, doesn't matter if you're a member or not. You have to contact the seller directly. It was like that on the old site as well, for a really long time.

Sirs:
I have ben a member for some years. I cannot reply too WTTB? Why not? The new upgrade sucks!

Click on their name, on the popup, click 'start conversation'

You could never'reply' to a classified. You could only email or private message. The newer conversation style is much better

Sirs:
I have ben a member for some years. I cannot reply too WTTB? Why not? The new upgrade sucks!

No one can reply to WTT/WTB. It's always been that way - there's a notice posted in every forum, as well as a popup at the bottom of every page in that section explaining it.

You need to start a conversation (private message) with the seller to discuss these items.

What if you can’t even PM or email the OP? Wondering why as an NES Member I cant reply to a classified ad. Was able to before the upgrade, have bought firearms on here before (last Summer was the last time I did).

No, you were not able to before the upgrade. We've never allowed replies within the thread.

Who is the user trying to sell something with PM disabled?

No, you were not able to before the upgrade. We've never allowed replies within the thread.

Who is the user trying to sell something with PM disabled?

I guess before the upgrade the PM feature was a little easier to find, figured it out and made contact. Thanks.

Replies were allowed years ago (or I responded to a WTS in a different section). I got an infraction for pointing out that someone was trying to sell a used gun for more that MSRP for new. Forum policy prevent any comments on ads - a policy I disagree with but accept as one of the rules of the game here. For example, when I see someone trying to sell a particular pre-ban high cap for 50% more than a local dealer with plenty of stock sells them for, I wish I could post that info.

Buyer beware. People can do their own research. I can only imagine the chaos and shite talking if we could pile on sellers in classifieds...

Replies were allowed years ago (or I responded to a WTS in a different section). I got an infraction for pointing out that someone was trying to sell a used gun for more that MSRP for new. Forum policy prevent any comments on ads - a policy I disagree with but accept as one of the rules of the game here. For example, when I see someone trying to sell a particular pre-ban high cap for 50% more than a local dealer with plenty of stock sells them for, I wish I could post that info.

I guess I mistook the Message Seller option the old NES forums as a reply when it really wasn’t. As best I can tell, you have to click on the seller and “start conversation”to contact them. I consider myself reasonably versed in the ways of the interweb and found the new format a little less than intuitive. I can see now why some of the more experienced sellers include their email address in the listing and tell you to reply there.

A private message is the exact same thing as a conversation. It's just called something different.

It’s called something different and there’s no button in the post to message the seller, you have to open up the seller’s profile and select “start conversation”. I stand by my comment that it’s less intuitive than the previous version. Also, the error message says you don’t have the permission necessary to reply to the message implying that there are permissions available, you just don’t have them. As a paid member it’s not exactly what you’re expecting to see when all you want to do is reply to the seller. I don’t care if it’s called a reply, a PM, a conversation - it should be more readily accessible from the classified post without having to know how the system works. I’m sure it discourages some who think they need to upgrade to yet a higher membership level to participate and they just move on like I almost did.

Last edited:
It’s called something different and there’s no button in the post to message the seller, you have to open up the seller’s profile and select “start conversation”. I stand by my comment that it’s less intuitive than the previous version. Also, the error message says you don’t have the permission necessary to reply to the message implying that there are permissions available, you just don’t have them. As a paid member it’s not exactly what you’re expecting to see when all you want to do is reply to the seller. I don’t care if it’s called a reply, a PM, a conversation - it should be more readily accessible from the classified post without having to know how the system works. I’m sure it discourages some who think they need to upgrade to yet a higher membership level to participate and they just move on like I almost did.

I'm not sure if you're remembering the old forums correctly... the error message was almost identical, and you also had to click on their username to private message the original poster.

"If it ain't broke don't fix it", PM was fine.

It was broke. See the dozen other threads where myself and Admin explain the issues.

It's here to stay, and not changing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom