• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Permanent muzzle brake - buying Massified vs not

I’m thinking about getting my first rifle, and I’m seeing some big price differences between what’s online vs what’s offered at local shops. I’d like more info on cost of buying online + $20-25 transfer fee + then having some place permanently attach muzzle brake vs buying one locally that’s already had that done.

Are you on MA and what rifle are you buying?

I’m thinking about getting my first rifle, and I’m seeing some big price differences between what’s online vs what’s offered at local shops. I’d like more info on cost of buying online + $20-25 transfer fee + then having some place permanently attach muzzle brake vs buying one locally that’s already had that done.

you want to buy a free state gun, have it shipped to mass and massify it when it gets here? do I understand that right?

I’m thinking about getting a Keltec RDB. My question is how to spend the least doing so. I’m seeing like a $200 difference between what they are selling for online, vs what they’re going for in local shops, that have already permanently attached a muzzle brake.

And yes, I’m in MA

What additional info are you looking for? Call your local shop and ask them if they'll transfer that rifle and then what it costs to pin a brake.

K, guess I’ll just do that. I was hoping to find out the typical cost to pin a brake without making several calls.

a muzzle brake on an bullpup such as RDB will create unpleasant experience for whoever is shooting it. if the plan is to run a red dot I would go with a linear comp like the troy claymore or kaw valley linear comp. it will direct blast forward at the expense of slightly increased recoil. the RDB will not be accurate anyway so it's not going to run a higher mag optic. a muzzle brake serves zero purpose on such a rifle. having owned keltec products in the past I would strongly suggest saving your $$ and put towards an IWI, CZ or bushmaster ACR all of which are 100x better rifles. further, keltec has poor CS and will only work on products for original owner, thus the alleged "warranty" disappears if you sell the rifle. their products absolutely tank in value. I commend keltec for coming up with interesting designs including a downward ejection system, but their execution of design is lacking. there's a reason why one sees so few CZ 805's on the used market; because they're excellent. same with the IWI SAR or X95's.

Hmm, I got some thinking to do then. This is mainly going to be range toy, so I don’t want it to be a pain to shoot.

It depends on what rules you want to follow.
MGL allows for it to be Massified
AG Healey's edict says you can't make a non-compliant gun into a compliant one. It has to be that way from the original manufacturer.

$200 isn't that big a difference.
Shipping
Transfer fee
Massification
This will eat up most or all of the difference. Better to support you local gun shop.

To get the work done you will need to find a shop that actually works on guns. While not rare they are not that common.
Multiple calls/visits plus the wait time for the rifle, brake and to get the work done.

If you can find something comparable that is in stock is it worth the extra time and effort for a little extra cash?

I did the same thing. I wound up buying locally because the break & pinning would have cost the money I saved by ordering online. YMMV.

This is the best tool for finding deals online. The RDBs are cheap these days.

I love my RDB. It shoots around 1.5 MOA with cheap ammo and I've had it out to 200 yards. It deserves a red dot or low power variable scope. I use the 6x LPV at 100 and 200 yards with ease.

My YHM Phantom muzzle break is really obnoxious to be next to so I am considering something with a blast deflector option like the VG6 Gamma/Cage or SI JComp/Oppressor. Since it has to be pinned, it's nice to have options that don't require removal. Of course if you want to be able to choose your own break then you have to buy un-Massified and find a smith.

Enjoy

Back
Top Bottom