• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Perm attach 9mm comp/brake

RDG

So I'm building a 9mm AR and need to attach perm attach the muzzle brake because of our our wonderful AWB.

I was just planning on pin/weld like my other ARs till I took a look at the threaded portion of the barrel. It's thin as hell. Like .075 including the threads.

The threads are 1/2 x 36.

I really don't think that pin/welding it is a good idea with the minimal amount of material there.

Anyonee else run into this problem? I know there is silver solder as a option but how does that effect the barrel since the material is so thin in that area? I really don't want to have to pay someone to weld all the way around the brake either.

Thoughts?

just shooting some ideas here. depending on the brake design it might be possible to bore out about 1/8 worth of threads so brake sitts further down. then you can drill, pin, weld into the thicker portion of the barrel instead of threads.

similar solution if you don't want/can't to bore out the threads is to cleanly weld/solder a collar to the rear of the brake that goes over outer portion of the barrel just past the threads and again pin-weld through the collar.

- - - Updated - - -

just shooting some ideas here. depending on the brake design it might be possible to bore out about 1/8 worth of threads so brake sitts further down. then you can drill, pin, weld into the thicker portion of the barrel instead of threads.

similar solution if you don't want/can't to bore out the threads is to cleanly weld/solder a collar to the rear of the brake that goes over outer portion of the barrel just past the threads and again pin-weld through the collar.

the brake doesn't have enough diameter for idea 1

idea 2 I'm just not thrilled about.

I'm in process on one myself (PSA kit), thinking I'm probably gonna take it to Northeast Arms and have them do it. Alternatively, i've been considering just grinding/sanding the threads smooth (gotta double check it still meets the length requirements without a brake). Not like the 9mm really needs much out of a 16" barrel

Cut the threads off, and crown the barrel. The brake is doing noting but looking cool, and costing $, on any 9mm barrel

I would assemble completely, then cut the barrel so you can stay half an inch over the limit for overall length :)

Back
Top Bottom