Performance Center M&P 15-22 Sport

HorizontalHunter

NES Member
I’m in the market for a new 22LR rifle for plinking at the range and maybe, but unlikely, some squirrel hunting. I would have to be pretty bored to chase some squirrels for the pot.

I’m lukewarm on the idea of a tacti-cool 22 and more inclined to get a Ruger 10-22. For those of you that have one how do you like it?

Thanks

I’m in the market for a new 22LR rifle for plinking at the range and maybe, but unlikely, some squirrel hunting. I would have to be pretty bored to chase some squirrels for the pot.

I’m lukewarm on the idea of a tacti-cool 22 and more inclined to get a Ruger 10-22. For those of you that have one how do you like it?

Thanks
M&P 15-22 is one of the best .22LR rifles you can get (and I hate SW).

A bunch of NES members I shoot with use them for steel challenge and the things run without any issues.

At least one ran 1K rounds without cleaning and I think he only had one FTF.

They usually change a couple of things:

1. Extractor - replace with a Volquartsen extractor.
2. Trigger - they have some very nice after market triggers they drop in the rifle.

When I switch to rifle in steel challenge, I will buy a 15-22.

Paging @1919FAN and @Michael J. Spangler

PS: I wouldn't spend the extra money on their bullsh*t "Performnace Center".

TandemKross also sells a nice 15-22 that is race ready for around $799.

A bunch of NES members I shoot with use them for steel challenge and the things run without any issues.

2. Trigger - they have some very nice after market triggers they drop in the rifle.

Thanks @Broc. That’s helpful. If I go that route I would go with the performance center model with the two stage trigger.

Thanks @Broc. That’s helpful. If I go that route I would go with the performance center model with the two stage trigger.
I highly recommend you look at after market triggers before dropping money on the Performance Center marketing.

Here is the TK built gun: Tippmann Arms™ M4-22 REDLINE

I never shot the TK so I can't comment on quality. But I do have guns with every after market part TK sells and they run great.

Broc is right. They run great. Mine has had zero upgrades other than the optic. I shoot outlaw steel challenge matches that use a little more ammo than normal and my wife and daughter shoot the same gun. So that’s 3X the ammo put through it in one day and if I ever have an issue is FTF which a quick bore snake usually eliminates. It’s so rare that it could have just been bad priming too.

S&Ws' Performance Center left the building years ago when all that experience retired. S&W is not known for their AR-15 two stage Performance Center triggers,.. lol. If you don't mind a plastic gun then buy a 15/22. I run one myself for Steel Challenge and it's my preferred platform. If you want a metal version get the Tipman Arms, although I don't consider them at this moment competition worthy. Any rimfire rifle will drop a squirrel. Best drop in trigger for fast plate shooting is a single stage, 3.5 lbs or below.

Thanks
I dont thing the PC model is worth any additional cost.
Do you have a AR?
If so there are some nice 22lr uppers out there. I have a Tactical Solutions and really like it. Its sitting on top of my service rifle lower with RRA match trigger,

10/22 in an AR chassis? I’m happy with mine and my only complaint are the flush mags being a pain to get out sometimes. Haven’t cleaned it once since I bought it earlier last Fall and it shoots great with a cheapo red dot on it.

I love my 15-22. Mine is the basic model that was bought too many years ago I cant remember the age. Put a Leupold rimfire scope on it and its a tack driver. Only issues is when it gets filthy dirty after many, many rounds and I don't fault the gun for that. Really like that it operates on a familiar platform. Agree that a trigger upgrade is frequently done by owners but I never did it. I lime it so much, I am going to have the barrel threaded for a suppressor when I move the NH. Good luck!

I've gotten along fine with mine but the T/CR22 has caught my interest recently. I had been using the M&P 15-22 for coyote but it's not the slickest rifle to be handling while hunting, with all of its snag points and noise when letting the charging handle fly. It has got some good precision though.

I've gotten along fine with mine but the T/CR22 has caught my interest recently. I had been using the M&P 15-22 for coyote but it's not the slickest rifle to be handling while hunting, with all of its snag points and noise when letting the charging handle fly. It has got some good precision though.
I like the tcr22. The last round hold open and the stock was the only thing I liked over the 10/22. Also that it will take 10/22 mags is great but those mags won't hold open.

MP 15-22 is truly incredible. Mine also has the volquartson extractor and I upgraded to the larue mbt-2s flat trigger. Funnest plinker ever.

Broc is right. They run great. Mine has had zero upgrades other than the optic. I shoot outlaw steel challenge matches that use a little more ammo than normal and my wife and daughter shoot the same gun. So that’s 3X the ammo put through it in one day and if I ever have an issue is FTF which a quick bore snake usually eliminates. It’s so rare that it could have just been bad priming too.
Outlaw steel challenge with a 15-22 sounds interesting.

TCR is a great gun. I use it for steel challenge until my wife got the 15-22 with an optic and I’m too cheap to buy an optic for the TCR

It’s fun. I prefer the large outlaw stages with 20-30 plates and poppers instead of the same old 5 boring plates. It’s make or break a match for sure though. You can’t really practice for the big stages the way you can for steel challenge stages.

I dont thing the PC model is worth any additional cost.
Do you have a AR?
If so there are some nice 22lr uppers out there. I have a Tactical Solutions and really like it. Its sitting on top of my service rifle lower with RRA match trigger,
An interesting option but I am looking for a separate rifle for 22LR. I have been thinking about an upper for a straight walled rifle caliber but that’s a different conversatio.

TCR is a great gun. I use it for steel challenge until my wife got the 15-22 with an optic and I’m too cheap to buy an optic for the TCR

It’s fun. I prefer the large outlaw stages with 20-30 plates and poppers instead of the same old 5 boring plates. It’s make or break a match for sure though. You can’t really practice for the big stages the way you can for steel challenge stages.

I have been wanting to do the Appleseed and some steel matches so it is good to hear that this platform would be good for that.

I’m still plinking with my old Marlin 995 that I bought when I was a teenager so it’s time for an upgrade 😆😆😆

Thank you all for the responses. It has been very helpful.

An interesting option but I am looking for a separate rifle for 22LR. I have been thinking about an upper for a straight walled rifle caliber but that’s a different conversatio.

I have been wanting to do the Appleseed and some steel matches so it is good to hear that this platform would be good for that.

I’m still plinking with my old Marlin 995 that I bought when I was a teenager so it’s time for an upgrade 😆😆😆

Thank you all for the responses. It has been very helpful.
You’ll love the 15-22. It’s a great way to familiarize yourself or the wife and kids with the AR platform too. Then they can step up their game to bigger competitions.

Thanks

22 plinking rifles are all fun.

Have a 10-22, Henry golden boy, and a 22LR CMMG dedicated upper for AR lower that’s full send mongo fun.

These are all a blast in their own way. Think I like the golden boy the most

I have a 15-22, a Nordic Components upper and Taccom 3g carbon fiber barrel upper. All three are awesome, but all serve different purposes.
For an all around fun, reliable gun, the 15/22 is hard to beat. But because of the plastic parts, it does feel the cheapest...which it is. The other uppers are much as the 15-22.

Personally, I think a dedicated AR 22lr upper is superior to a MP15-22 except for weight and possibly price. It's non-FFL, you can bring multiple calibers to the range with one gun, and you can change the trigger to your preference. I made my 22lr upper out of a plastic upper receiver, plastic railed handguard, plastic flip sights, and it's still not as light as 15-22.

No matter which way you go, 22lr plinking is the absolute best. Now is the best time to buy 22lr ammo. Try different brands of ammo then buy a 5k case of it.

Back
Top Bottom