Perfectly good Mid-90s Cold Steel Voyager, thrown in the garbage...

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have, or had, a pair of mid-90s Voyagers that have been constant companions for the last 20 years. A 3" and a 4", both have been EDC, camping blade, pack knife and in the case of the 3" blade, a utility knife when I worked construction. I had torn the plastic clips off of both within weeks or months of buying them, by catching the clip on a door frame in both instances, but had ground them flat which actually made them handier and more concealable. Top gear, both knives, and still hold an edge and perform like the day I bought them.

So...a few years ago I had my wife start carrying the 3" in her purse, because she won't typically carry anything else and I wanted her to have something as a line of defense other than hitting someone with the purse itself. I put a new thumb stud on it, sharpened it up and over multiple instances of travel and trips to restricted areas I would check with her to be sure that she removed it to avoid losing it at the bag check, always reminding her that what she had was a Good Blade that meant something to me and which I could not get again.

Tonight she tells me, nonchalantly, "Oh, I need a new knife." I momentarily flashed back to the Wal-mart knife I used to have her carry, thinking that was still what was in her purse. "When my dad and I got to the arena last knight, they have a metal detector so we had to throw our knives away." I flash to the Voyager, and ask if it was my Good Knife, the one I can't get anymore? "Yeah, sorry."

She parked on the street two blocks from the venue. The show was the Harlem Globetrotters. So...I just lost a sweet old Voyager that was a part of my personal history, so my wife and her father (who carries a box cutter) wouldn't be late to the Harlem Globetrotters. Yay.

drgrant

NES Member
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
I have, or had, a pair of mid-90s Voyagers that have been constant companions for the last 20 years. A 3" and a 4", both have been EDC, camping blade, pack knife and in the case of the 3" blade, a utility knife when I worked construction. I had torn the plastic clips off of both within weeks or months of buying them, by catching the clip on a door frame in both instances, but had ground them flat which actually made them handier and more concealable. Top gear, both knives, and still hold an edge and perform like the day I bought them.

So...a few years ago I had my wife start carrying the 3" in her purse, because she won't typically carry anything else and I wanted her to have something as a line of defense other than hitting someone with the purse itself. I put a new thumb stud on it, sharpened it up and over multiple instances of travel and trips to restricted areas I would check with her to be sure that she removed it to avoid losing it at the bag check, always reminding her that what she had was a Good Blade that meant something to me and which I could not get again.

Tonight she tells me, nonchalantly, "Oh, I need a new knife." I momentarily flashed back to the Wal-mart knife I used to have her carry, thinking that was still what was in her purse. "When my dad and I got to the arena last knight, they have a metal detector so we had to throw our knives away." I flash to the Voyager, and ask if it was my Good Knife, the one I can't get anymore? "Yeah, sorry."

She parked on the street two blocks from the venue. The show was the Harlem Globetrotters. So...I just lost a sweet old Voyager that was a part of my personal history, so my wife and her father (who carries a box cutter) wouldn't be late to the Harlem Globetrotters. Yay.
It's probably a sign she wouldn't have used it anyways. If you forget something that easily....

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have, or had, a pair of mid-90s Voyagers that have been constant companions for the last 20 years.
I ran half a mile back to my car before the Spartan Race at Fenway because I was not going to throw away the little Swiss Army knife I have had on my keychain for 20+ years. It's beat to hell and nothing special, I've just had it for a long time. Funny thing is, my wife had my change of clothes in her backpack, and my EDC (TDI and CRKT) knives were in there. They didn't even check the bag.

Tools. And I am not talking about the knives.

Shark_Cage

NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
It's funny how we can become attached to "things". I don't mean that as a slight, I lost my favorite hat at DisneyWorld (had it for 20 years). I sulked and tortured the mouse people with five days of calling until it showed up. It's just a stupid Nantucket baseball cap (only ha that has fitted my huge melon) but it's mine.

Rating - 100%
19   0   0
I ran half a mile back to my car before the Spartan Race at Fenway because I was not going to throw away the little Swiss Army knife I have had on my keychain for 20+ years. It's beat to hell and nothing special, I've just had it for a long time. Funny thing is, my wife had my change of clothes in her backpack, and my EDC (TDI and CRKT) knives were in there. They didn't even check the bag.

Tools. And I am not talking about the knives.
I have twice stuffed whatever knife I'm carrying in a flower pot/shrub because I forgot to leave it in the car. No problems recovering them afterwards. They were good knives, but didn't have a lot sentimental value to them (and were replaceable for not a lot of money).

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
I have twice stuffed whatever knife I'm carrying in a flower pot/shrub because I forgot to leave it in the car. No problems recovering them afterwards. They were good knives, but didn't have a lot sentimental value to them (and were replaceable for not a lot of money).
This is what I did while serving jury duty

Brin747

NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Same here, I've frequently hidden blades for later recovery when encountering an unexpected metal detector.

clampett

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I carry a folding razor knife, it has a clip on it that I use as a bill fold. When ever I run into a metal detector, I just remove the blade and give it to the security guard.

mac1911

NES Member
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
I hear my dad here...... if you have something you like and can't replace it... don't let anyone know you have it and DONT let anyone use it.

That sucks...two ways. 1. You lost your knife 2. Your wife didn't even attempt to replace it.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Update: I posted the same sad tale of woe on Bladeforum, Cold Steel's rep on the site offered to send me one for both me and my wife. Very cool.

GaryO

NES Member
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I always tell people to clip the knife behind your belt buckle, always works for me. First time we went to Fenway after the detectors were installed, my wife asked me if I felt unsafe without my knife..TADA I pulled it out to show her, she was a little shocked. Now I wouldn't try it at the airport or government building although one time we went to Old Ironsides on a whim. I quietly went up to security and explained the situation, he had me hand him my knife discretely and gave it back to me as we were leaving.

- - - Updated - - -

Update: I posted the same sad tale of woe on Bladeforum, Cold Steel's rep on the site offered to send me one for both me and my wife. Very cool.
Oh yea, tell the rep the same thing happened to me and i need a new one!![smile]

Reptile

NES Member
Rating - 100%
95   0   0
Congrats on the replacements.

I've hidden things outside of venues in shrubbery before.

The next step is trying to heal the marriage.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
We'll survive, she truly did not get what the knife meant to me. It's not like I've never done anything thoughtless and inconsiderate before...but I'm guess she won't be round-filing any knives any more.

EddieCoyle

Consigliere
NES Member
Rating - 100%
131   0   0
I was on my way into a large venue for an event earlier this year. I was pocket carrying a 642. There were security guards on the way in wanding people. One of them told me to take everything out of my pockets and hold my arms out away from my body.

I took out my phone, 642, and wallet, and held them in my outstretched arms while the guard wanded me, then I walked right in.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Go there ASAP, and ask for it back!!!!!

If nothing else, bang your wife, dump on your father in law's boxcutter, and throw her keys up on your roof.

Last edited:

mark056

NES Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Sad experience has taught me never to loan or give to anyone anything that I value and I tend to be possessive of my things. I know they are just material goods...but. I won't give you the shirt off my back but I'll go out and buy you a new shirt.

Let this be a lesson learned. Even your wife didn't value something as much as you did and she knows you better than anyone.

Next time buy her own knife.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I gave her a $3.99 Wal-Mart Xmas special. It weighs about a pound, compared to the featherweight 3 oz Japanese-made Voyager.

Top Bottom