Perfect home defense shotgun

KBCraig

NES Member
As we all know, if you use a firearm in self defense, you will be on trial. So will the gun you use.

While folks are running around tacticooling their scatterguns with all kind of accessories, I say that blue steel and brown wood are the best defense in court, after you've defended your life.

That doesn't have to mean a duck gun. It can be an 18.5" cylinder bore, 5+1 3" capacity. I wouldn't add anything except maybe a fiber optic front bead.

Mine is a a Winchester 1300, but that one isn't made any longer. Here's a Mossberg 500 that serves the same role.

I own a Remmy 870 Tactical but also a 50s Marlin O/U double bbl 12g that would do a number on someone standing in front of it if I pulled either of the triggers.

While folks are running around tacticooling their scatterguns with all kind of accessories, I say that blue steel and brown wood are the best defense in court, after you've defended your life.
i agree. and i'd rather have 'em take a 200 dollar shotgun than a high dollar benelli. no one is gonna know the price tag so if you have $1500-2000 to toss away, so be it.

Mossberg 500 JIC

As we all know, if you use a firearm in self defense, you will be on trial. So will the gun you use.

That doesn't have to mean a duck gun. It can be an 18.5" cylinder bore, 5+1 3" capacity. I wouldn't add anything except maybe a fiber optic front bead.

Mine is a a Winchester 1300, but that one isn't made any longer. Here's a Mossberg 500 that serves the same role.

A perfectly fine choice but call me skeptical that a wood stock makes any difference in your potential legal jeopardy. I don't think shooting bad guys with a "duck gun" buys you a whole lot of good will vs. anything else.

i agree. and i'd rather have 'em take a 200 dollar shotgun than a high dollar benelli. no one is gonna know the price tag so if you have $1500-2000 to toss away, so be it.

If you are going to take a bad guys life, I think you owe it to them to do it with an expensive shotgun. Killing intruders with cheap shotguns is so gauche.

590 (not A1, to reduce weight)

Same good chunky action of a 500 with more shellz.

I bought one of these this year and it's boss. 18.5" would be better for HD but that's splitting hairs

0604201558-770x433.jpg

Bayo added for trench effect.

Retrograde cuz it's more badass. And it confuses moonbat politicans.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhNkIsP59pM

I prefer ARs over shotguns for HD. Higher capacity, faster and easier reload, lower recoil, good for close and long range.

While I like the AR platform and there’s no arguing with a 55 grain projectile (or heavier) moving near 3000 fps, it depends on the setting.
I’m in an urban neighborhood and if I miss with that AR, it’s definitely ending up in a neighbors house and beyond. If I miss with #4 buck, it may still end up in a neighbors house, but the likelihood of collateral is reduced significantly.
Additionally, if you’re needing to reload anything during an HD encounter, something is very wrong. The longest shot I could take in my house is sub 20 yards and I can think of very few problems 7 rounds of buckshot wouldn’t solve within that distance.

I’m also a huge shotgun fan, so my opinion may (is definitely) be skewed.

... if you’re needing to reload anything during an HD encounter, something is very wrong.

Sounds like the ammo she had was effective at stopping the threat? I’m not sure many people would recommend a revolver for HD, but in this case it worked. 5 or 6 rounds of .38 isn’t 5 or 6 rounds of 12 gauge or 30 rounds of 5.56. Since this thread is shotgun based, that’s more where my comment was directed, or the aforementioned 30 rounds of 5.56 and it’s easy to reload platform.

Back
Top Bottom