• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Percussion caps

Ahem.

Ahem.

I have the #11 cap maker. If you're planning to make many caps, be aware that while they are easy to do, it gets very tedious. It works but if you can get ready made caps I recommend going that route. I've made 100 or so in 3 or 4 sessions. I found the most difficult part for me was putting the priming compound in the cap.
Charlie

thanks all, but I should have mentioned I need caps for a Smith Carbine. I think #11 would be too small...It is a civil war relic in very good condition.

You probably need the large winged musket caps. They look like little top hats. Originals were made from copper, but all modern ones are yellow brass. If you vist a site for reproduction firearms, you will probably see them for sale. I have a couple of tins left over. I'll post a pic when I have a chance.

I think the Smith uses the #4 musket cap but The Goose would know for sure. That's not to say that someone didn't change the nipple.

Back
Top Bottom