Percussion caps keep falling off tc renegade

whacko

NES Member
Took my brother on his first ever deer hunt today. Saw some but no shots....but that's another story.

His renegade is new to him. I took him to the club a few times to get his marksmanship down and figure out what load was best. The gun was great.....except the nipple was "peened" a bit and tough to get the percussion caps all the way down. He bought a new nipple and replaced it before this hunt today because the other one like I said was a bitch to get thr caps on because it was peened. This morning he must have lost a dozen caps on the ground. They fall off easy.....its like this nipple is too small. Hes using 11 caps and the package the nipple came in says 11.

Any advice? Do the caps always come off when moving through the woods? I'm a muzzle loader guy but all In lines with 209 primers have no experience with percussion caps.

Besides this issue the gun is fantastically accurate to 75 yards with maxi balls and 90 grains loose pyrodex.

I wondering if that’s why the other one was penned over. Other then that sorry no experience with caps all in line stuff here

This is what I usually do as well.

You can also try a piece of Saran wrap in between the cap and the nipple.

Is there a reason he isn’t using the #10’s.

Bob
The gun came with an 11 nipple on it. He bought it used obviously. Is 10 better?

yup a little bit of beeswax from a toilet wax ring or Maxi-lube on the side might help, plus make it watertight - just don't plug the flash-hole

The nipple he bought is an 11 ans so are the caps. I'll tell him to pinch them once he gets them on and see if that helps.

Pinch it before goes on the nipple. They should be tight enough so they are hard to get off.

FWIW as an aside for next season:

He will be better off with real black powder in the long run instead of any of the substitute powders. All of the subs have a higher ignition temperature than the real thing so he will have less missfires/hang fires. I never had a miss or hang fire when using real Black powder even when hunting in the rain.

The Renegade has a 1:48 twist which is a compromise twist. 1:66 for round balls and 1:28 for sabots. Which is why it shoots those Maxi-balls so well. Putting an over powder wad will tighten the groups further.

Bob

Pinch it before goes on the nipple. They should be tight enough so they are hard to get off.

FWIW as an aside for next season:

He will be better off with real black powder in the long run instead of any of the substitute powders. All of the subs have a higher ignition temperature than the real thing so he will have less missfires/hang fires. I never had a miss or hang fire when using real Black powder even when hunting in the rain.

The Renegade has a 1:48 twist which is a compromise twist. 1:66 for round balls and 1:28 for sabots. Which is why it shoots those Maxi-balls so well. Putting an over powder wad will tighten the groups further.

Bob
Thanks.

We put 25 maxiballs through it for practice. Yeah.....alot. not in one sitting over 3 trips. Never had a misfire with the pyrodex. Today he carried it in cold damp weather for 7 hours.....fired it into a stump before we headed to the truck and it touched off perfectly. So far so good.

I've heard real bp is better from a few sources though maybe well work up some of those loads for next season.

Honestly he is waiting on his ltc.....needs a lawyer and its in the works but he wanted to hunt now so picked this gun up a few weeks ago. Have to say uts actually a nice rifle. Very accurate. The sights are spectacular. Indexed adjustments for elev and windage. Very audible and feel able clicks with the screw driver. Very good quality.

They are great rifle. Well made and very accurate when you take the time to work up a load.

I hunted with a CVA side lock for many years before upgrading to the TC Impact.

Bob
I too love my tc impact. I paid $179 for mine about 4 years ago on sale. Killed many deer with that rifle now.

I too love my tc impact. I paid $179 for mine about 4 years ago on sale. Killed many deer with that rifle now.

Yeah. It’s almost unfair. 😆😆😆 I have a Nikon 2-7x32 scope on mine. It’s a lot like rifle hunting.

Hopefully you and your brother will have many hunting seasons together.

If you decide to work up another load with BP let me know and I will send you some OP wads to try.

Bob

Back
Top Bottom