pepper spray

I think the colleges in MA are great but the regs essentially denying
people their right to self defense are downright appalling. The only
saving grace is that people can avoid being victims most of the
time by simply not being oblivious to their surroundings, but there are
times where even that may not suffice.

-Mike

That unfortunately is very true. When I lived on campus a lot of gangbangers and thugs would purposely come onto campus and break-enter into cars, dorm rooms. There have been instances of rapes, stabbings and the likes. My university, like many others, has a "no-gun policy" and community policing. We do have "emergency call boxes" and boy do those make me feel safe.

"hold on fellow mugger, let me just run up to the call box before you mug me".

I've missed out on a lot of that info Fsorrent, but I do remember hearing about at least one instance of shots being fired on campus.

Public University does mean that we have armed officers on campus and not rent-a-cops which is a plus...

Umass Dartmouth is convienently located quite close to New Bedford, which is the armpit of MA (IMHO). There are always instances of B&E's in vehicles as well as dorms. Yes, we do have real police officers, but they can't always be everywhere. Stabbings occur quite frequently as well. Two occurred just last semester.

All depends on when and where you are though. Partyers won't want to hear it, but being out late and around intoxicated people isn't the best place to be if your afraid of violence or crime.

The undeniable benefit of armed officers on campus is the reduced likelihood of another Virginia Tech Massacre here.

Nothing can really reduce the likelihood of an event such as that from happening. Although I do agree with you that avoiding it altogether would be the best way to avoid problems, at times it seems that cannot be avoided.

Massachusetts has many of the best colleges in the nation. Medical, technical, legal and buisness alike, MA has your choice of the very best.
Many other states that do not have your screwed up laws have schools that are as good or better.

Once you get past your first or second job, nobody much cares where you went to school.

We do have some of the best colleges in the Country.

If you are in the hard sciences (I was a EE), there are no political agendas in your classes and you graduate with no idea about your professor's political leanings!

I always found it entertaining when having to venture over to the "Bizzaro World" side of the campus in order to fulfill the humanities requirements.

We were loathed (I was EE also) for having the nerve to actually using logic during discussions.

Well....that, and totally skewing the grading curves. [laugh]

Many other states that do not have your screwed up laws have schools that are as good or better.

Once you get past your first or second job, nobody much cares where you went to school.

It depends on where you go, and what you want to do. If you want to teach, it makes a big difference.

Its hard to match the concentration of businesses and venture $$ that have close university ties. San Jose is about the only area the comes close.

The laws are a mess and it's a liberal safe haven. But for some, it still has got some major upsides.

True, but the quality of the first job may be such that you don't need a second or third job.

Especially in the medical areas, it is hard to beat the Boston area.

Yes, but when you can start discussions for your first job with a mutual understanding that any offer under $150K is wasting everyone's time, you're on a pretty good track for the second job :). Also, without the right B school name, it's a longshot getting one of those financial jobs at the big names where people are making $500K+/year before they hit 30.

As Fsorrent stated above, please look at the title of this thread and [offtopic]

If you want to talk the merits of colleges or staying in MA or not, it belongs in "Off Topic" forum, please start a thread there (or look for one of the many previous threads on the subject via Advanced Search).

Any more Off-Topic posts are subject to Deletion with no warning by any of the Mods.

Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom