• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Pepper Spray ??

My wife and I live in RI and she works in Ma I wanted to get her some pepper spray that is legal to buy here in RI but in Ma you need a FID card so can she bring it to MA without getting in trouble if she is pulled over in MA.

Thanks in advance for the help.

John

Last edited:
IANAL but since its regulated and requires a license I would hazard a guess that yes, she would get in trouble if it were found.

If it were me, I would get her a small can and make sure she knew to keep it hidden and tell nobody about it. If she has to use it, just tell her not to mention that she sprayed the guy if she decideds to call the cops. I would inform her to spray and leave the area. Chances are that if for some reason a cop found the spray, at worst he would just take it and issue a warning for it.

If it were me, I would get her a small can and make sure she knew to keep it hidden and tell nobody about it. If she has to use it, just tell her not to mention that she sprayed the guy if she decideds to call the cops. I would inform her to spray and leave the area. Chances are that if for some reason a cop found the spray, at worst he would just take it and issue a warning for it.

Thanks for the info. I think it is crazy that you need a FID card for it

Follow the link on post 5, there is no non-resident FID.

You have to get an Non-resident LTC.....and that's a whole other world.

And then, you'd have to buy the spray in RI, as you can't purchase ammo ( the spray) on your non-res LTC.

Seems like a lot to do. Will just get it and she can hold it

Follow the link on post 5, there is no non-resident FID.

You have to get an Non-resident LTC.....and that's a whole other world.

And then, you'd have to buy the spray in RI, as you can't purchase ammo ( the spray) on your non-res LTC.

You can't buy ammo in MA with a non resident MA LTC??? I'm not doubting you, that just sounds crazy. Am I understanding you correctly?

I'd rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6.

My wife has a effn taser in her car, screw MA !

You can't buy ammo in MA with a non resident MA LTC??? I'm not doubting you, that just sounds crazy. Am I understanding you correctly?

It is crazy. But, just so you know, I've never been asked for my LTC when purchasing ammo in MA. But, they have usually asked to see it for pepper spray.

It is crazy. But, just so you know, I've never been asked for my LTC when purchasing ammo in MA. But, they have usually asked to see it for pepper spray.

You've never been asked? I've never not been asked for it.

My wife AND daughter (20) carry pepper spray. If the need arises I'd rather they get in trouble for it than being assaulted because they didn't have it. I am certified to use it by the police academy and relayed the training I got to my wife and daughter. No, I didn't SPRAY them as part of their training. lol

IMO some training should be given or the assailant will likely take it away quicker than they can figure out or fumble with the safety.

"When in the Course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another, and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation."

You can take it from there

Yes, you understand correctly.

MA has gaps in the law, and since the democrats will in general fight anything that could possibly be good for gun owners, getting such gaps corrected is next to impossible.

For example, MA will issue a non-resident LTC to a legal resident alien living in the US but outside of MA borders, but an alien living within MA can only gt an alien FID. Hopefully, a favorable decision in Fletcher v. Haas will fix that.

I have been consistently contacting my elected officials to move this legislation ahead of all other legislation since the bill was written.

Have you? If not, please do so.

If you could tel me how to go about doing that I would love to

Here's the legislation:
GOAL's 2011 Legislation Chart

H.658 An Act relative to pepper spray

H.1578 An Act relative to increasing accessibility to nonlethal self defense sprays

H.2403 An Act relative to non lethal self defense spray

S.1226 An Act relative to remove pepper spray from firearms identification

S.1236 An Act to allow citizens possession of non-lethal protection.

To the right of each bill is the committee it is sitting in, with contact information.

Here is how to contact your legislator: http://goal.org/legislatorinfo.html

Here is committee information, along with how to contact them: http://goal.org/committee.html

Here's the legislation:
GOAL's 2011 Legislation Chart

H.658 An Act relative to pepper spray

H.1578 An Act relative to increasing accessibility to nonlethal self defense sprays

H.2403 An Act relative to non lethal self defense spray

S.1226 An Act relative to remove pepper spray from firearms identification

S.1236 An Act to allow citizens possession of non-lethal protection.

To the right of each bill is the committee it is sitting in, with contact information.

Here is how to contact your legislator: http://goal.org/legislatorinfo.html

Here is committee information, along with how to contact them: http://goal.org/committee.html[/QUO

Thanks for the info. Will look into it

Back
Top Bottom