• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Pepper spray/mace

peterk123

NES Member
Any guys out there carrying pepper spray? I have my girls and wife carrying it. Got me thinking, why the hell would I not carry it as well? There must be some small ones out there that easily fit in a pocket. Whith all the batshit crazy people out there, it would just seem like an appropriate thing to have; especially since guns and knives are not always the appropriate solution. Pete

i dont..but i got my sister and a female friend this product...the Tiger Lady

Last edited by a moderator:
Any guys out there carrying pepper spray? I have my girls and wife carrying it. Got me thinking, why the hell would I not carry it as well? There must be some small ones out there that easily fit in a pocket. Whith all the batshit crazy people out there, it would just seem like an appropriate thing to have; especially since guns and knives are not always the appropriate solution. Pete

I do occasionally whilst CCW. Generally speaking, I started to more often after watching a dog-mauling another dog video on NES!

They even make ones that look like pen. Not much volume in it, but just like shooting, shot placement matters more than quantity.

There's no reason not to carry it. And in MA, even if you CCW the legal advice I read says it is a good idea to carry pepper spray too so you can give a "proportional" response[rolleyes]. If it appears a somewhat-bad guy is most likely not going to kill you, the jury may not like that you killed him.

My wife used to carry it until one of them leaked in her pocket. She had a burning red patch on her thigh for several days.

Some things about pepper spray:
Depending on what type you have (stream, foam, spray) you have some possibility of incapacitating yourself depending on the wind direction. Or your aim.
Some bad guys, especially the ones on drugs, don't seem to be bothered by it. Some just get mad.
You have to be pretty close to the bad guy to use it effectively. If you're that close and don't already have it in your hand, it's probably not going to help you.

That said, it can't hurt to have it. Unless it leaks in your pocket of course. And this is all MHO of course.

Yes, I carry Mace brand PepperGard OC spray. IMHO, it's an essential tool to have as part of a comprehensive self-defense plan, in addition to your everyday carry firearm.

I carry it along with a pistol. It gives me an option between fist fighting and drawing on someone.

I carry it where and when i am unable to carry a firearm

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I carry Sabre Red. Went to Four Seasons to pick one up for my gf and it was a buy one get one free or something so I got a can too - only problem is that the sale only applied to the bright pink breast cancer awareness ones but F it, I'm not insecure [laugh]

i dont..but i got my sister and a female friend this product...the Tiger Lady

Holy "Enter the Dragon" that thing is cool.

One of my college daughters was worried about sketchy characters on campus and told me to send her some brass knuckles. Not sure where that idea came from. I sent her a four pack of pepper spray and told her to use at least one to practice on a tree. I also sent her a stun gun, but I think she is afraid to carry that one around.

Last edited by a moderator:
I carry a streamlight for this. No need to worry about wind and it's painful during the day even. Should give most pause for you to react accordingly.

I never want to be in a situation where i need to decide whether lethal/non-lethal response to a threat

that said, i want the response to go where i point it. don't want to wet my finger and check the wind direction. YMMV.

Fox labs, stream 2 oz (Four Seasons .... you can thank me for talking Carl into carrying it) for dog walking. If a dog attacks my little buddy I can probably break it up without shooting, plus a miss and hitting the wrong dog will not be catastrophic (unless I accidentally spray my wife's dog, in which case life as I know it will be forfeit in the blink of an eye).

Don't know where "over the rainbow" is, but I'd be a bit twitchy of these in the PRM.....seems like brass knuckles, kinda.

when i first heard their commercial online it said legal in all 50 states....but who knows. the claws are hollow to collect skin( DNA)

when i first heard their commercial online it said legal in all 50 states....but who knows. the claws are hollow to collect skin( DNA)
A woman in MA who used one of these woould be better off if the attacker was not found. The first thing the attacker's atty is going to do is file counter charges (requiring the woman to hire coun$el and surrender any guns she owns) if the police have not already done so.

I've been carrying spray more often. I've found cone pattern works best. I really believe that if you are going to carry spray you should be sprayed with what you carry.

I carry it along with a pistol. It gives me an option between fist fighting and drawing on someone.
Spray should be your first option, then unarmed self defense, then firearm. Certain instances you may have to skip one but if you can keep distance and immobilize with spray that's ur best bet.

I always have it with me. Have one on my nightstand too. can never hurt to have one near by.
Unless u live alone and are immune to spray u might want to reach for a pistol first in this circumstance. Spray in a confined space will effect everyone.

Back
Top Bottom