pepper spray: for sale or not?

To be fair the FRB doesn't exactly have a stellar track record when it comes to providing legal guidance.

That link is NOT an "error"! It was intentional, issued "under orders" from up high, and had the intended effect (chilling)!

But overall you are correct, they have given out tons of bad (felony-quality) "legal" information to people, most of it unintentional.

I heard there's a firearms shop who will sell defensive spray to anyone over 18, but then they'll call the ATF and tell them you made a straw condiment purchase because they were afraid it was a sting. Or maybe it was because you called and asked them about buying it before hand or asked questions about what brands they sell and how many ounces can be carried.

To be fair the FRB doesn't exactly have a stellar track record when it comes to providing legal guidance.

In order to protect citizens, including law enforcement officers, GOAL will be filing legislation to repeal the onerous laws regarding so-called “assault weapons”.

It is time Massachusetts followed the lead of the vast majority of the nation and began repealing laws that persecute lawful citizens and start prosecuting criminals.

6/22/11 Update:
GOAL has been in communication with Representative Harold Naughton, House Chair of the Committee on Public Safety. He has called for a meeting with the Secretary of EOPS to explain the discrepancies in the letter. As soon as we are alerted to any legislative or agency response we will immediately notify our members.

So much for repealing onerous laws, or working with Harold Naughton.

I wonder if a new bill to repeal these will come out in January.

The wife asked me where someone she knows might be able to buy pepper spray. I named I think 3 local gun shops, and also said maybe Dick's or Walmart, but not sure if they have this just yet, especially Walmart.

Anyhow, this person went to a local gun shop, and they refused to sell to them, because they said it is still a "grey area". The individual went to another shop nearby, and got the spray.

Have other people run into this? I asked GOAL, and they said it is not grey at all. I asked if GOAL or someone else notifies shops and police departments. They said they don't, but they have posted something about it and might again in today's "Friday News". They also said the NSSF might be a good conduit for this information to get to shops. I would think their distributors would start trying to sell more to the shops, and they would get the picture.

Again, was this an isolated thing, or are others around the state seeing this also?

Thanks.

GOAL has it for sale in the office, GOAL has put out the info that it's legal to sell NUMEROUS times since the law was signed. The shops need to pay better attention.

Horse-water-drink

I heard there's a firearms shop who will sell defensive spray to anyone over 18, but then they'll call the ATF and tell them you made a straw condiment purchase because they were afraid it was a sting. Or maybe it was because you called and asked them about buying it before hand or asked questions about what brands they sell and how many ounces can be carried.

LOL

And heaven forbid you ask how to increase the potency, or if it can be used to make 5-alarm chili or super-hot salsa for your taco. [cheers]

Dicks in New Hampshire. They ask for your DOB. That's it. Don't flash your MA ID, don't mention you're from Massachusetts. Just buy it and leave.

Some of the sites that have shipped me ammo in the past actually refused to ship pepper spray which was weird.

Then instead just blast the illegal-alien, knife-wielding mugger with your carry weapon (with ammo you bought online, of course!), and tell Martha you really would have just pepper sprayed him, BUT.... [smile]

This whole thread just makes me think about some of the a$$hat candidates looking for a platform to run on, and picking some kind of gun-control aspect ..... in order to help the citizens of mass and "benefit" their safety....

How about someone rectify this whole Charlie-Foxtrot of a mess that limits women from being able to legally obtain pepper spray?

- Just sayin .....

The shop owner said there was no way of knowing if they were somehow prohibited.

Now I am wondering what prohibitions there are on owning pepper spray.

Some still claim OWNING a Glock is illegal for a normal person in MA too......

Stop shopping at Northshore Firearms ;)

Some still claim OWNING a Glock is illegal for a normal person in MA too....

State Trooper told me it was against the law for me or any other LTC holder to carry hollow points. Granted he's one of the old MDC or Capitol Police "conversion" troopers, but... His gun, badge and arm patch all say "Massachusetts State Police"..

Is there any doubt just how effin' effed up this state is?

State Trooper told me it was against the law for me or any other LTC holder to carry hollow points. Granted he's one of the old MDC or Capitol Police "conversion" troopers, but... His gun, badge and arm patch all say "Massachusetts State Police"..

Is there any doubt just how effin' effed up this state is?
There was an episode of COPS where they showed a state trooper confiscating hollow points from an LTC holder, and warning him not to use the ones he had at home since they had to be turned in.

What is strange about that is it passed the MSP censors (a general requirement PDs impose on that TV show is the right to censor footage so the cops look good).

Outer Limits in Holbrook knows the law and has Sabre in a couple different sizes including a big "home defense" can.

Sent from an iPhone Star-Trek Communicator

Well, yesterday I went into Barrows Hardware in Worcester. Lo and behold, there on the counter was a box of MACE brand pepper spray canisters. I think they had either black or red, and a whole separate box of pink ones.

Maybe looked kinda like this:

D-80347.jpg

This store is about a mile or maybe less from Clark University and is in "Main South" area of Worcester.

Bravo!

Last edited:
Well, yesterday I went into Barrows Hardware in Worcester. Lo and behold, there on the counter was a box of MACE brand pepper spray canisters. I think they had either black or red, and a whole separate box of pink ones.

This store is about a mile or maybe less from Clark University and is in "Main South" area of Worcester.

Bravo!

It's nice to see the results when we win one!

Sad that any Lgs would take issue even with poorly written laws...taking a stand being a moral good in the community is what we need...stop siding with the guys with badges and side with those they SERVE.

anyone seen it for sale somewhere in w.mass? I want to grab a handful for stocking stuffers but dont want to drive aimlessly around looking for it.

The pepper spray is now in the camping section at BPS. Progress!! Unfortunately, they don't carry the Kimber Blasters anymore.

-JR

Is this true - MA ammo law still applies to Pepper Spray ?

This is the response I got from Fox Labs on why they won't ship to MA. [angry]

Thank you for taking the time to make your inquiry. It would be my pleasure to further assist you. In regards to your direct inquiry about pepper spray not being illegal in Massachusetts you are correct it is not illegal. Pepper spray is legal in all 50 states however there are still shipping restrictions for your state. I will do my best to explain the Massachusetts state statue.

“Pepper spray is still considered “ammunition and it must still be purchased by a FFL (federal firearms license) dealer or a sporting goods store that has an ammunition license (to sell ammo).

It is still illegal to ship pepper spray to the state of Massachusetts. To confirm this I contacted the Firearms Records Bureau at 617-660-4782 and spoke to a representative who confirmed twice that:

A: pepper spray is still considered ammunition

B: it must still be purchased through a licensed fire arms dealer

C: no FID is required if over the age of 18 (this is the only law that has changed)

http://www.mass.gov/eopss/agencies/dcjis/key-changes-to-the-massachusetts-gun-laws-august-2014.pdf

Above are the specific changes to the requirement of the FID. (ID card)

Below is what the legislation defines as ammunition.

Section 121. As used in sections 122 to 131P, inclusive, the following words shall, unless the context clearly requires otherwise, have the following meanings:-“Ammunition”, cartridges or cartridge cases, primers (igniter), bullets or propellant powder designed for use in any firearm, rifle or shotgun. The term “ammunition” shall also mean tear gas cartridges, chemical mace or any device or instrument which contains or emits a liquid, gas, powder or any other substance designed to incapacitate. https://malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXX/Chapter140/Section129c

Below you will find what it says about selling ammunition in the state of Massachusetts.

The law specifically states: No person shall sell ammunition in the commonwealth unless duly licensed.

https://malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXX/Chapter140/Section122B

So, although there were recent changes to the FID requirements meaning as a resident of Massachusetts you are no longer required to have an FID if you are over the age of 18, to purchase pepper spray. However, the law has not changed its stance on the selling or distribution through mail order for pepper spray.

I hope I have answered your questions thoroughly if not please feel free to contact me directly and I would be more than happy to further assist you.

***The information above should not be taken as legal advice as I am not a licensed attorney.***

Kindest Regards,

Cinthia Velazquez

Fox Labs

MA requires a MA ammo sellers license to sell pepper spray, so under the AG's pervasive argument "any mail order sale to a MA resident in fact takes place in MA", sellers would need a MA ammo sales license to sell to MA. Unclear if spray falls under the "ammo" definition that prohibits mail order ammo sales. Business as usual in the DPRM.

We all got a letter saying it was ok now so there is no excuse for someone to say it's a gray area. There is no penalty for selling it to a prohibited person and quite frankly if you're on the street and were deemed safe enough for society I personally don't see why you can't protect yourself with a defense spray. I can't legally do a background check considering it's not a firearm so here if you are over 18 we'll sell it.

For the record, you do need a license to sell pepper spray, but it is no longer considered ammunition.

Chapter 284 of the Acts of 2014: SECTION 20. Said section 121 of said chapter 140, as so appearing, is hereby further amended by striking out, in lines 6 to 8, inclusive, the words “chemical mace or any device or instrument which contains or emits a liquid, gas, powder or any other substance designed to incapacitate”.

I sell it :) Stop in and say hi.
AJ's Firearms Inc
132 s main st, acushnet, ma

Its only a part time gig for fun so we have limited hours, but check out the FB page and PM me w any questions.

Last edited:
anyone seen it for sale somewhere in w.mass? I want to grab a handful for stocking stuffers but dont want to drive aimlessly around looking for it.
Just bought some for the wife at Army Barracks in West Springfield yesterday.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

For the record, you do need a license to sell pepper spray, but it is no longer considered ammunition.

Chapter 284 of the Acts of 2014: SECTION 20. Said section 121 of said chapter 140, as so appearing, is hereby further amended by striking out, in lines 6 to 8, inclusive, the words “chemical mace or any device or instrument which contains or emits a liquid, gas, powder or any other substance designed to incapacitate”.

Thank you! Well that is encouraging. I see that Ch 284 this isn't listed with the General Laws, which only goes up to Ch 282. It is somewhat hidden under Session Laws, and even then not obvious. You have to search for the Chapter before it appears.

https://malegislature.gov/Laws/SessionLaws/SearchResults

Saw it in the downstairs camping section at bass pro a few weeks back, just hanging on the wall thing with flashlights and canteens. Ron

Back
Top Bottom