Peoples thoughts on consolidating calibers.

I'm not so much consolidating as adding multi function to the guns I have. Ex...I have a Sig p226 in .40, I want a Glock 27 for my carry gun and if I do that will get a Keltec sub-2k in .40 Glock... three guns, one round, three diff purposes. Thinking like that does put a burdon of stocking up on you though,in case of ammo shortages so you don't have 3 guns down. Same when I get a revolver someday I'll do a .357 and get a lever gun that can run .38/.357.

I think of diversity more along the lines of having more than one gun per caliber...gives you options.

I succeeded at consolidating a couple of different times [laugh]
At this moment, I have only .38 and .357. Even bought a Ruger M77, which I'm loving.

Of course, last week I ordered a 9mm handgun (after I sold about 1500rds of 9mm ammo). And now I'm craving a Ruger American in .22lr again. (after selling about 13,000 rds of 22lr). I don't even want to think about what I'v done....

If I've learned anything from the last shortage, then it is that diversification is where it's at. 9, 45, .40, .357 SIG, ,45. .38+.357, if I had the money even a .44 mag, .41 special.
Nothing wrong with oddball calibers, except for the stuff nobody keeps in stock anyway, like .45 GAP, .50 GI or .480 Ruger.

If I've learned anything from the last shortage, then it is that diversification is where it's at. 9, 45, .40, .357 SIG, ,45. .38+.357, if I had the money even a .44 mag, .41 special.
Nothing wrong with oddball calibers, except for the stuff nobody keeps in stock anyway, like .45 GAP, .50 GI or .480 Ruger.

That is pretty much where I am at. I even thinking about picking up a plinker in 17 HMR. That stuff is everywhere. And I love my S&W 29 because it seemed like 44 special kept popping up even when everything else was scarce, and it is an awesome range toy/ cannon

Looking to cap my handgun calibers to .22, 9mm, and .45 (I have a .22 and .45 at this point. Going to add a carry gun in 9mm)

Rifle calibers I am at .22, 5.56, .308, and 7.62x54R. Not looking to go any more here for now.

Shotgun? 12ga. Don't need anything else.

If I had to leave and not come back? .45, .22, and 5.56.

I think having some variety is important. Especially if one caliber becomes impossible to find but there's stock available for others.

At the same time, I think it's a little much to get too diversified.

YMMV.

Whats the fun in shooting the same caliber all the time?? Each caliber is DIFFERENT and has it's own unique advantages and disadvantages

The good example is: 5.56 vs 7.62x39

accuracy and range vs penetration

I could see a slightly more conceivable argument for pistol calibers but you're still looking at

9MM 115gr vs .40 165gr vs .45 230gr vs .44MAG 300gr+

If you consolidate all to 9mm how will you kill the hundreds of nuisance elephants here in NE?!?!?

If you're doing it in attempt to "save money" you should likely focus on dropping your obsession of firearms all together because lets face it having fun in this sport is RARELY "cheap"

And NO shooting .22LR is by no means a form of sustainable fun

Just my take on it.

Back
Top Bottom