• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Peoples thoughts on consolidating calibers.

Just getting a census on how many people have been sucessfull.

How many people tried and regretted it?

And whats your thoughts on consolidating to 9mm for a handgun round?

I understand its a nice middle road cartridge with low recoil and good capacity

But as we have seen when times are tough its a pain in the ass to find 9mm

I have been trying for years, sell 4 handguns then end up buying 6 tried the caliber thing that didn't work either, I guess consolidating isn't for me, gave up and feel good about it. I hope that doesn't make me a quitter.

No need to consolidate pistol calibers. I reload 9, 45, and 357. I always have plenty of each caliber on hand. I will add 40 to that list when I want to compete in Limited division.

I actually just managed to consolidate to 9mm and striker fired 9mms to boot (Glock and Kahr).

I consolidated handguns to rimfire and center fire, that's the best I could do

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I dumped .40 and didn't regret it. I'll only ever go back if I got sucked into something like USPSA limited.. otherwise, its worthless.

-Mike

I tried and failed but I do have a rifle in the same caliber for every handgun I own. But again failed on getting the magazines to all be the same.

Never went .40

9mm , 45

Dumped the .380. Useless round in my eyes. Rather have 9mm .

556 for Mossberg Varmint rifle and AR. Mags are interchangeable.

.35 mm hard as hell to find for the Marlin

7.62 x 39

I try to keep certain calibers for rifles and handguns. Nice to mix it up at the range.

I've always wanted to limit my calibers so that was the plan from the very beginning.
9mm, 45, and 22 for handguns. 5.56 and .308 for rifles.

Depends on your motivations. If you're doing the "prepper" thing, or your firearms are strictly functional/utilitarian, then sure, the consolidation thing works. If you stock with GLOCKs, you can do a full size pistol, compact, subcompact and carbine, all in the same caliber and all using the same mags.

But if your guns are for hobby, what's the fun in that?

At once point in time I tried to consolidate down to 45ACP, and I had one carry gun and one nightstand gun, both 45s using the same mags, and I tried to sell everything else off. But I realized that I didn't want to give up my 357mag, and it's nice to have a polymer 9mm for when friends want to go to the range, and I love shooting my Ruger 22LRs, and I found an awesome 44mag, and 10mm is freaking cool to have, and every now and then I like to fondle a Beretta 92FS, etc, etc... Clearly the consolidation didn't work for me.

I did. I am down to buying 9mm and 223/556. The idea being the gf and I carrying and grabbing guns that use the same ammo and magazines. PMAGS and G17 mags in the bedroom, office, and vehicles. I have other guns, but they don't get much use since I would rather shoot what I carry/use.

Anyone who says 9mm won't do the job is retarded, and it's not that hard to find.

Last edited:
I try to make sure I keep the calibers consistent as the collection expands, likely easier than doing after the fact. Even still its fairly varied.

.38spl/.357
9x19
7.62x39
5.45x39
7.62x54R
5.56x45
.22LR
12G

So what calibers do you keep?

.22 LR, 9mm, .45 ACP for handguns. Dumped .40 and 10mm (but only because I sold my last 10mm handgun) I'd readd 10mm if I ever got another good 10mm like a G20 or something. I still have some .38 and .357 Magnum in case I ever get another wheelgun or two. (although at this rate I might have one in 5 years, possibly maybe. )

When I had rifles I had 7.62 x 39 and .223/5.56. Will go back to those 2 and probably add .308 later (but probably only if I start reloading it, commercial .308 has gone full retard now).

Shotgun is 12 Gauge only; probably only will -ever- have 12 gauge, really. I have no use for anything else fired out of a shotgun, really.

To be honest though if you're thinking about doing this to save money, it probably won't. You'll just shoot more of the other calibers that are left and spending the same damned amount. The only time its going to save you money is if you're getting rid of something that's stupidly expensive to shoot and you're in the habit of shooting it all the time... but most people don't operate that way.

-Mike

Last edited:
I have consolidated to 9mm and .45 , and for rifle 7.62x39

Ive been keeping a really good restraint from adding calibers .

Got a pair of 9mm glocks , and now a pair of .45 glocks

There are just so many things i would love to try lol.

Why i'd love to own a s&w 686, a nice .22 and 7mm-08 savage i could easily trade a glock to try something different.

but then i get hung up on do i really want another caliber to have to buy.

i have mostly 9mm handguns, a .380 and a .40 in there as well.

rifles are either 5.56, .308, or 7.62x54r, one .270 deer gun.

i don't count .22's i have several in pistol and rifle

i stock up on common calibers i don't have or don't use if its given to me, i have several hundred rounds of .45acp but nothing that shoots it, 30-30, 30-06, .38spl, etc. it could be useful for bartering if needed or if i ever get a gun in those calibers.

.22, 5.56, 9mm, .45ACP, and I will be vigilant and stick to those calibers...........at least until the next time I visit a gun shop and the cool, dark glint of a .357 or .45LC single action catches my eye. or maybe an 8x57bolt action in great condition for under $300 at Kittery or...........................

I don't care what caliber the gun is. If it goes bang and I like it, I buy it and pick up the ammo here and there, always making sure I have a decent supply.

I have not had to downsize to consolidate calibers........I do consider caliber when purchasing. Our CCW and HD handguns are all 38 spec / 357 mag. I have an M1 garand so in my hunt for a bolt action rifle I will chose 30-06 when I get around to that purchase to keep the type of ammo stock down. I would like a lever gun someday and would be into a 357 magnum version from henry when the time comes. My thought on this is that when I get around to reloading it will be easier to stock up on fewer calibers.

Last edited:
I think it depends a lot on what you want to use it for. If you are a Doomsday Prepper, then I think you would want to streamline your calibers to a military caliber such as 9mm or .45 ACP and most likely either 5.56 or 7.62 NATO or 7.62X39, most probably stick with 9mm. .45ACP and 5.56 because they are produced domestically and would tend to be more plentiful thatn the 7.62x39. If on the other hand, you like to collect shoot and fire certain guns, then the sky is the limit. I have revolvers in both 44-40 and 45 LC, for instance, as well as 30 Carbine, and 9mm Makarov.

Purpose and intent determine criterion IMO.

If you hunt a good bolt gun in a varmint caliber like .223 (your AR can do double duty) and a rifle that can fire 7.62/308 which should cover you for most North American Game, you can use any number of platforms for that including the AR and M1A.

To me a basic battery would include the following calibers:

.22LR Rifle
5.56 Rife AR or Bolt like the new Mossberg
9mm or .45 ACP Pistol
12 Gauge pump or semi-automatic shotgun
and a quality .357 Magum Revolver...I would seriously consider the Ruger Blackhawk Convertable which has two cylinders: one .357 and one 9mm. This allows you to shoot three calibers in one platform: 9mm, 38 spl and .357 Magnum

I think having just a 9mm is fine. Ammunition today is superior, easy to shoot and many. many quality platforms to choose from. If resources and space allow it, consider reloading.

YMMV

Last edited:
22lr, 45acp, 5.56, .308 and 300 win mag.

That's enough for me, was just trying to organize it all in the safe last night.

Oh, forgot about the 12ga I don't have yet[hmmm]

if you're reloading now i wouldn't worry about consolidating.
reloading means you can't buy a gun without buying the proper dies, shell plates etc to go with it. thats fine though i factor it into the price of the new gun. if i can't buy the reloading gear for it i won't be shooting it much and its pretty much useless to me.
i like the idea of being able to pick up just about an brass or cast a bunch of different bullets and not have to worry if i can find small pistol primers or a bottle of H100. diversify and you won't be stuck in the group looking for 9mm or components.
i have made decision on buying new guns based of of cartridges i already load for.
i shoot a lot of 45, so when i wanted a revolver i went for a 625 so i could get into a new gun without having to get another few hundred dollars worth of dies, and dillon accessories.
that scratched the itch for a revolver and i gradually got into reloading and casting for 38/357 as i found deals on molds and dies etc so i was all ready to grab a 686 when the opportunity presented itself.

i had been searching for some small pistol primers for a few months but i wasn't all that worried because i have other guns and plenty of large pistol primers on hand. that saved me a trip to NH in search of the elusive SPP had i only had a 9mm to reload for.

have you been doing much reloading? i noticed the thread a few weeks back that you had learned. have you jumped in with both feet yet?
good luck! go buy some more guns!

Back
Top Bottom