People's experience or opinion on LTC-A Unrestricted Renewal

SSW

NES Member
Hi Guys,

I am at work and a friend just asked my opinion about an LTC-A Unrestricted Renewal, he is more than a little anxious about his renewal.

I don't have any experience in this particular area of LTC-A Renewal but thought someone here may have.

So here is the story. He works for the city, he will renew with and the city is listed as a green city for LTC-A, here on NES.

In March 2011, he applied for a non-resident firearms license in New Hampshire and was DENIED based on his "criminal history in Massachusetts."

He had an extensive records check done, through another employer, not the city. The report says "No Reportable Record" on the county, state and National NCIC records check. So he can't find the record of any criminal history and he knows he has never been arrested, been a defendant in court and has no domestic or violence issues ect.

Additionally annually his CORI is checked by the city, his side job and kids' school (he chaperones different events). Nothing ever showed up. We basically can not have any criminal history, especially a felony and keep our jobs, so I fully believe he has no criminal history. So for the advise, please consider that he has no record.

He never challenged the New Hampshire denial, because getting a NH firearms license was not crucial, he just blew it off.

Now he is up for LTC-A renewal, question 13 on the form is have you ever been suspended, revoked or denied by any state, territory?

What I did read in the Gun Law Threads is ALWAYS be honest so he will have to answer YES.

He has been issued an LTC-A for several years atleast 2 renewals in our city.

Does anyone know if he will see any complications with his renewal, now that he has been denied by NH and has to answer yes on question 13??

If so is there any advise for him to prepare and submit for his renewal?

Should he go meet with the Police Chief before applying and discuss it with him?

Is this a just get a Gun Rights Attourney before applying for renewal?

Thanks in advance for your help, he is a very active shooter and more than a little concerned about his situation on renewal.

Also I and he understand your answers may just be your opinion/experience and he may/may not experience exactly what you did or think he may.

I am just trying to calm him down or at least send him in the right direction and know someone or many here may have dealt with or know how to deal with his situation.

Thanks for your help!!!!!

Last edited:
He never challenged the New Hampshire denial, because getting a NH firearms license was not crucial, he just blew it off.

This is his pure fail bus material right here. Why didn't he call NH DPS and ask them WHY? And what it was specifically? It could have been as something as simple as a identification error or a typo.

-Mike

This is his pure fail bus material right here. Why didn't he call NH DPS and ask them WHY? And what it was specifically? It could have been as something as simple as a identification error or a typo.

-Mike

He admits he should have done something, just slipped by, completely his bad. Don't think he can challenge it now?? So I think he is stuck with it.

Communication is everything. I would go to NH, get it staightened out and leave with documentation showing that he was denied in error. Maybe he has a common name which could be the problem. Then meet with the IA in Ma. If the record is really clean, he will be OK. Jack.

If it were me, I would contact the permits and licensing people in NH and inquire as to why the application was denied. The answer to that question would determine what I'd do next.

Big mistake letting that slide. Now it looks worse than it is. He needs to track down the NH decision immediately and figure out what happened. I am betting it was a mis-identification based on a common name, etc. But he needs that worked out before he can deal with MA or the ma COP may think they are not seeing something that NH is. These guys all think we are criminals who haven't been caught and will act appropriately.

Thanks for all the replies!!!

We just went over the application he filed and found that his Ma. Driver's License is one digit off. He entered the last number incorrectly.

I don't know how they run someone's criminal record, but did notice that entering your Social Security Number is optional. (that was entered correctly).

So I wonder if the Ma. Driver's License number may be the problem?

He is headed up to NH on Monday to hopefully straighten things out.

Thanks for all the help!!!!

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies!!!

We just went over the application he filed and found that his Ma. Driver's License is one digit off. He entered the last number incorrectly.

I don't know how they run someone's criminal record, but did notice that entering you Social Security Number is optional. (that was entered correctly).

So I wonder if the Ma. Driver's License number may be the problem?

He is headed up to NH on Monday to hopefully straighten things out.

Thanks for all the help!!!!

Someone please post the face palm picture... To have not tried to fix that at the time is dumb... He has to be honest on his form in MA so make sure he writes up the reason to go along with it. He should be fine otherwise.

Someone please post the face palm picture... To have not tried to fix that at the time is dumb... He has to be honest on his form in MA so make sure he writes up the reason to go along with it. He should be fine otherwise.

Needs the Star Trek double face palm picture...

Never blow off a denial it's serious business and in some other states it's an automatic disqualifier if you have ever been denied for one.

You guys were good enough to offer advice to help out with this, so I thought I would let you know how it turned out.

I had the day off so went with my friend to NH SP License and Permits Unit in Concord today. He brought a ton of documentation including his Ma. criminal records check that he was able to get, I think from MSP. His record was clean.

They reviewed his application, identified his issues with his original application. It did turn out to be a combination of mistakes on the application and identification issues.

He is clearly stuck with the denial and he is clearly regretting not appealing it. So that is unchanged, a mistake he learned from, no one is perfect. We all make mistakes some are painful, as this was and will be for him. Obviously he will have to submit documentation each time he renews.

They offered to allow him to re-apply, which he did on the spot. As long as thier records check matches the Ma. records check he will be granted a NH Pistol Permit. He is not even out any $$$ as they refunded his money when they denied his first application.

Already had preliminary talk with IA in our city. He was very understanding and did not see any issues as long as things get straightened out and documented.

By the time he has to file for his Ma. LTC-A renewal, he will have all the documentation and likely be holding a valid NH Permit.

The LEOs often get a lot of grief, some may be well deserved. But every LEO he dealt with in both Ma and NH, during his attempt to straighten this out were very helpful and even offered suggestions to help with handling his renewal. So kudos to them for helping a good guy out!!!

Thanks to those of you on NES for recommending that he go to NH SP in person, that clearly worked out better than anything he could have done on the phone. The advice here lead to what appears to be a good outcome.

Thanks again for everyones' help and advice!!!!

Glad it worked out. From my limited dealings with them, it appears to me that the NH licensing folks are true public servants.

Back
Top Bottom