People who now want a gun but can't get them thanks to our laws

I was contacted the other day by someone I would characterize as an acquaintance - not really a friend, but we've met a few times and had some conversations. In our conversations the fact that I'm a gun owner came up, so I wasn't overly surprised when he contacted me. The jist of his message was:

"I used to think guns weren't necessary. Now I realize that's not true, how will I protect my family if things go downhill? Yesterday I looked into the process to get a gun, but I realized I can't take any gun safety classes since they're all shut down. Is there anything I can do?"

I told him basically he's SOL, get some pepper spray and hope for the best. I refrained from giving him the whole "You supported gun control? THIS is gun control. Congratulations!" speech.

How many other conversations exactly like mine do you think are happening throughout MA, and other states like it? Anyone else here had non-gun-owner friends/family/acquaintances contact them with a similar question?

a lot of good and bad will come out of this pandemic. This goes into the good column.

“We flood communities with so many guns that it is easier for a teenager to buy a Glock than get his hands on a computer or even a book.”

–President Obama, remarks at memorial service in Dallas, July 12, 2016

I guess the Dear Leader lied??

we're flooding communities with bad parents.

Wow, that's a weird one. Never heard of someone who doesn't have at least a box in the house.
Yeah, I know. Figured he had some but wanted more. Couldn't believe it when he said he had none. I'm going to work on this guy. I see potential for another soldier in the fight to keep our rights. Now is the time to start preaching guys/gals.

I have one waiting because my Postal MO was lost. Sent it on 3/19 and the seller never received it. I sent him PayPal and now the gun sits at the dealer until May 4.

My boss asked about a getting gun. I asked if he had any experience with guns. He said he has gone with some friends a few times to the range, they offered him a 9mm to borrow. I asked if he was comfortable with a gun and was he confident he knew how to use one, and how to be safe? He said " no one is comfortable with guns". I said not true at all, I have been around guns all my life, and am very comfortable with guns, and all the people I know that own guns are comfortable with guns. He said he grew up on a farm, and had to kill the cows and pigs for butchering, and that's why he didn't like guns.
He asked about a license, how hard would it be to get one? Told him pretty tough in Mass. depends on the town, as a business owner you might have a better chance. I asked about his record, a DUI in 1975, I told him if the chief in the town is a dick, it might be a problem.
I told him he has a lot to learn, this state wants to put a guy like you in jail for a gun violation, if they can. You don't want to shoot someone, you don't know the laws. Your life would never be the same if you shot someone with someone else's gun, with no license.
My advice was to wait till this blows over, and learn about how to legally get a license and gun, and jump through all the hoops like we all do.
Told him to never vote for a Democrat again, not that a our Republican governor was really a Republican.
He said I have been a republican all my life. I asked if he voted for Trump, he said no.
I told him he had a lot to learn.

Some of you are a little harsh in your replies I think now is the time to add to the ranks and being bullies doesn't help. The best thing we can all do is to take these people now with their eyes wide open and take them to the range, encourage them and get them set up with safety classes so they can get their license.

Lets use the opportunity at hand instead of dismissing it shall we?

Most of my buddies are on the same page. I have one that isn’t. During the election our views came up and that was the last time we spoke about that. We’ve never spoke about any thing political. Mostly stuck with football and cars. (During a rant he literally thinks you can walk into a gun store and buy one)

Had conversation with him last week. He was worried about the whole situation. All on his own he came up with the conclusion he didn’t have the means to protect his family.

So yes there’s a lot of people now waking up. Hopefully the world goes back to normal soon and people start to realize how quickly things can escalate. Wake up call for a lot people.

You can. I, in fact, did exactly that today. [rolleyes]

I was contacted the other day by someone I would characterize as an acquaintance - not really a friend, but we've met a few times and had some conversations. In our conversations the fact that I'm a gun owner came up, so I wasn't overly surprised when he contacted me. The jist of his message was:

"I used to think guns weren't necessary. Now I realize that's not true, how will I protect my family if things go downhill? Yesterday I looked into the process to get a gun, but I realized I can't take any gun safety classes since they're all shut down. Is there anything I can do?"

I told him basically he's SOL, get some pepper spray and hope for the best. I refrained from giving him the whole "You supported gun control? THIS is gun control. Congratulations!" speech.

How many other conversations exactly like mine do you think are happening throughout MA, and other states like it? Anyone else here had non-gun-owner friends/family/acquaintances contact them with a similar question?
Kudos for not rubbing it in their face . I think one of the biggest things we as gun owners can do right now is educate and possibly convert the non gun owners

Some of you are a little harsh in your replies I think now is the time to add to the ranks and being bullies doesn't help. The best thing we can all do is to take these people now with their eyes wide open and take them to the range, encourage them and get them set up with safety classes so they can get their license.

By definition Liberals do not learn.
Even if they do get guns, five minutes after this is over they will go right back to their old ways figuring they are all set now and screw everyone else.

watchman, I disagree with you on this one. All the progressive understands is bullying. In much the same way people of certain religions mistake kindness for weakness. The progressive must be beaten violently (figuratively speaking) about the head and shoulders with the truth. That's why I take every opportunity to hammer that open borders moron at work. He can look at his kid every night and think about what I said. Sure he can call me every name in the book, and I laugh at him. But when he's tucking his girl in at night, he'll have to think..........

Even if they do get guns, five minutes after this is over they will go right back to their old ways figuring they are all set now and screw everyone else.
If theyre liberals, I honestly dont want them to be armed. For one, their side of the political spectrum is responsible for the deaths of how many of their own citizens in this past century? Why would I want to help arm people who choose to align themselves with mass murderers?

Secondly, as dadstoys said, once this has passed, (regardless of how bad it gets) theyll go right back to their old ways of voting for people who promise to wipe their asses with the Bill of Rights except now they get to virtue signal as they turn their guns in. Either that or we'll have a huge increase in the number of people who belong to the "Im a gun owner myself, BUT..." club.

F*ck them, in plain english. If any known liberals were to approach me asking for advice, Id purposely steer them in the wrong direction and not lose any sleep over it.

Don't agree people change sometimes it takes situations like this to help them realize they made the wrong decisions. Have you ever made a decision that you decided was wrong and rectified it?

Liberals,yes.
But, we should do what we can to get the ones on the fence to fall on the 2A side.
Since my time at the current job. Just passed 5 years.
I have gone to gun shows with the owner. Gone to the range with multiple people from work.
Have coworker that talk often about getting their LTC. Inform them how tough it is, and how to do it.
Hardest part is to get them to commit to the class. Don't know why, but, that seems to be a big obstacle for some.
I would think the police interview would be bigger.

Don't agree people change sometimes it takes situations like this to help them realize they made the wrong decisions. Have you ever made a decision that you decided was wrong and rectified it?

Many times.
The difference is, I learned from it.

Before Obama I kept a fair amount of ammo , not crazy , but a fair bit.
Now it's about two years worth of factory and I learned to reload.

I voted for Charlie Baker the first time.
I learned from it.

There may be a few folks that see the light, very few.
As for the rest.

The traditional tale of the Scorpion and the Frog. | Frog quotes ...

You can. I, in fact, did exactly that today. [rolleyes]

lol I wanted clarify but I know your being funny. I meant he doesn’t understand you need gun safety course and apply for gun license at your local police station (finger print, background check) before purchasing a firearm in ma.

yeah, for the fence straddlers that approach might work. For the hardcore anti 2A at work I like to use the little anecdotes from the NRA's Armed Citizen column like a blunt instrument

I don’t know Watchman. I feel this is something people have to go about and figure it out on there own. The same way other people figured it out. There own journey in life.

F*ck yeah.. I need a .357 lever to go with my six shooter. Some wadcutters just arrived from TSUsa and I've been holding off on a backup long gun forever. And never enough bread to get it all done at once.. sigh

Not trying to get off topic here, but using wadcutters in a lever action is the worst possible choice, guaranteed to cause feeding problems, especially in model 92's. They tend to be very finicky about cartridge OAL, and many will quickly demonstrate a preference for either standard length .38's or .357's, few will cycle equally well with both.

Some of the swing or Democrat voters don't care about guns at all, they are often single issue voters on things like abortion and can be swung if Trump could just stop making appearances at pro life rallies.

Those folks will say things like "oh they are never going to take away your guns", the same way I say "nobody is going to touch abortion, it's a decided can of worms".. both of us are being ignorant about it.

Personally I'm not just pro choice but full blown pro abortion - is all religious hubbub inappropriate for US politics if you ask me, and we got enough mouths to feed (especially in the demographics that pop out huge families and can't feed them, never mind affording send them to college without handouts)..

Anyway, my point is for me I vote all about guns, some that vote differently aren't really on the other end of the political spectrum they just got another bone to pick.

It’s not too late to buy a katana and learn sword play from YouTube videos. The Walking Dead tells me so.

Or just watch The Hunted a few times.

yoshio-harada-christopher-lambert-the-hunted-1995-BPF78J.jpg

You can believe people can't change if you want but I can't agree. I know people can have a change of views and positions through life experiences, major life altering events and interactions with opened people in general. I think that helping people to see that gun ownership is worthwhile is our priority.

Back
Top Bottom