• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

People who now want a gun but can't get them thanks to our laws

F*ck yeah.. I need a .357 lever to go with my six shooter. Some wadcutters just arrived from TSUsa and I've been holding off on a backup long gun forever. And never enough bread to get it all done at once.. sigh

I have no sympathy. They voted for those a**holes. Now they can live with the consequences.

I wonder though. When things calm down, will this serve as a wake-up call for some of them? It is possible to change, and we should encourage it as much as we can. Not everyone is a full-blown anti who can't be swayed.

I was contacted the other day by someone I would characterize as an acquaintance - not really a friend, but we've met a few times and had some conversations. In our conversations the fact that I'm a gun owner came up, so I wasn't overly surprised when he contacted me. The jist of his message was:

"I used to think guns weren't necessary. Now I realize that's not true, how will I protect my family if things go downhill? Yesterday I looked into the process to get a gun, but I realized I can't take any gun safety classes since they're all shut down. Is there anything I can do?"

I told him basically he's SOL, get some pepper spray and hope for the best. I refrained from giving him the whole "You supported gun control? THIS is gun control. Congratulations!" speech.

How many other conversations exactly like mine do you think are happening throughout MA, and other states like it? Anyone else here had non-gun-owner friends/family/acquaintances contact them with a similar question?
I would have politely told him something like ...

"these are the dangers of more gun laws. Gun owners are not crazy people, they are not looking to start a revolution when they complain about gun laws, they just know that when good people need guns, all these laws that seem "OK" during good times are really bad. Now, good people like you get screwed"

Making sure I wasnt attacking him.

I have had several conversations like that already. The key is to not attack people but rather help guide them to the point they think they thought about this themselves. Or, in simple words ... "Mind F*ck them".

I would have politely told him something like ...

"these are the dangers of more gun laws. Gun owners are not crazy people, they are not looking to start a revolution when they complain about gun laws, they just know that when good people need guns, all these laws that seem "OK" during good times are really bad. Now, good people like you get screwed"

Making sure I wasnt attacking him.

I have had several conversations like that already. The key is to not attack people but rather help guide them to the point they think they thought about this themselves. Or, in simple words ... "Mind F*ck them".

I like this approach. If the conversation starts back up with him, I will definitely bring it up like this.

I wonder though. When things calm down, will this serve as a wake-up call for some of them? It is possible to change, and we should encourage it as much as we can. Not everyone is a full-blown anti who can't be swayed.
I think quite a few will get gun licenses.

But ... will they pay attention when voting? ... that is the part that I doubt.

As much as I like to be positive and think people learn, the fact is that very few people learn. So, chances are that the majority of these people will get a license, buy one gun with the two low capacity factory mags, buy one box of ammo and call it a day.

It is our job to take them to the range, get them involved and paying attention. Again, never attacking them or bombarding them with pro Trump junk.

If every NES member could get one person involved, that alone would be over 20K new gun owners. 20K doesnt sound like a lot, but remember that MA has less than 1M licensed gun owners. And in a State of 6M, 20K is nice %.

Ok so maybe I agree with the fact that Harry Home-Owner gets his LTC and when this all passes he gets his 6 shot revolver and a box of 38 specials, That's fine Maybe the Firearms industry as a whole will ramp up and finally offer some new designs and quality products with all these new players in the mix. I'd love to see some new varieties on the shelves. I've looked at some of the weird ones , the Trevor and some from IDF , some I can sort of see but others are off the charts dumb looking.

I think quite a few will get gun licenses.

But ... will they pay attention when voting? ... that is the part that I doubt.

As much as I like to be positive and think people learn, the fact is that very few people learn. So, chances are that the majority of these people will get a license, buy one gun with the two low capacity factory mags, buy one box of ammo and call it a day.

It is our job to take them to the range, get them involved and paying attention. Again, never attacking them or bombarding them with pro Trump junk.

If every NES member could get one person involved, that alone would be over 20K new gun owners. 20K doesnt sound like a lot, but remember that MA has less than 1M licensed gun owners. And in a State of 6M, 20K is nice %.

I would expect a run on Maverick 88s and #2 birdshot.

Ok so maybe I agree with the fact that Harry Home-Owner gets his LTC and when this all passes he gets his 6 shot revolver and a box of 38 specials, That's fine Maybe the Firearms industry as a whole will ramp up and finally offer some new designs and quality products with all these new players in the mix. I'd love to see some new varieties on the shelves. I've looked at some of the weird ones , the Trevor and some from IDF , some I can sort of see but others are off the charts dumb looking.

I think stuff like the S&W M&P EZ series of pistols is geared exactly towards the sort of person you're talking about. Meant to be non-intimidating and easy to operate so anyone can use them.

I would be happy with a gun manufactuary that when they say they offer a gun "competition ready", it is actually ready and doesnt need replacing and polishing half the parts.

Companies like Ruger and SW like to say some of their guns are competiton ready, but they are really just parts kits that need a lot of changes. Unless your idea of a competition is to show up and not be competitive.

I would be happy with a gun manufactuary that when they say they offer a gun "competition ready", it is actually ready and doesnt need replacing and polishing half the parts.

Companies like Ruger and SW like to say some of their guns are competiton ready, but they are really just parts kits that need a lot of changes. Unless your idea of a competition is to show up and not be competitive.

Sig is beginning to do just that. Phil Strader is running things over there (at least when it comes to pistols), and he's getting them to put out stuff like the P320 X5 Legion, which is certainly competition ready out of the box.

Sig is beginning to do just that. Phil Strader is running things over there (at least when it comes to pistols), and he's getting them to put out stuff like the P320 X5 Legion, which is certainly competition ready out of the box.
I hope they also support it, instead of letting everyone hanging until some entrepreneur decides to make replacement parts and charge $50 for a pin or spring.

Had a guy at work ask me if I could spare some 9mm.
Apparently he has a gun but doesn't keep ammo. :oops:
Needless to say, I didn't have any to spare.
i have a friend who lives within a mile that keeps his one and only pistol at my house. i don't think he even owns any ammo (check that, i think he had a box of HP with all 20 still in the box).

f*** Them! I have the same sympathy for gun owners that did not prep there ammo .... f*** you! Opinions may vary....
I agree. I thought all the NES members were sitting on tens of thousands of rounds just for such an occasion. I'm surprised by how many are scrambling now. People better get their shit together or I'm not letting them in my militia. Well, we will need some latrine diggers.

Most of my buddies are on the same page. I have one that isn’t. During the election our views came up and that was the last time we spoke about that. We’ve never spoke about any thing political. Mostly stuck with football and cars. (During a rant he literally thinks you can walk into a gun store and buy one)

Had conversation with him last week. He was worried about the whole situation. All on his own he came up with the conclusion he didn’t have the means to protect his family.

So yes there’s a lot of people now waking up. Hopefully the world goes back to normal soon and people start to realize how quickly things can escalate. Wake up call for a lot people.

Those who would give up Essential Liberty
to purchase a little Temporary Safety,
deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
Benjamin Franklin

Obama said it's easier to buy a gun than it is to buy a book. Anybody remember bookmobiles? Maybe someone needs to invest in a gunmobile and start driving around.
I'd start in Brookline and Cambridge and then make my way to Natick and Swellsly. Maybe even include a Trump 2020 with each purchase.

Awaiting the GoFundMe for the NESmobile.

Brimming with 31 flavors of delicious bang bang goodness

I have gotten a few people asking to borrow guns, or how to get one without going through the hoops. I tell them I have nothing to loan, and buying guns illegally is illegal. No sympathy when for years I have been telling the people I care about to get a gun and and learn how to use it and they roll their eyes at me.

My BIL tried to hit me up for some 9mm. I told him to try Bass pro when they opened. Then the note came out that they were not going to reopen. I told him to try kittery when they open next week. He said he has a box. If he knew what he was doing that should be more than enough to get more if the circumstance ever warranted it.

Most do not think of it until it is too late. My wife actually said to me the other day..."now I know why you buy the things you buy". Yup. The light finally dawned on marble head.

Last edited:
I've got one too.
Says it's too dangerous to keep ammo in the house with the guns.
The maybe one time a year he goes to the range with his FIL , he buys a box or two and shoots it up.
Hasn't asked me for any .

I took a friend of mine in Connecticut to the range last year, did the basic .22 revolver and semi, then .38 revolver and 9mm semi, 10/22 and 9mm carbine. He had a .308 and a shotgun at the time, they were his father's. After the day at the range, he got his permit, then bought a Glock 17; (he'd liked shooting mine). His wife is not "anti-gun", but more of "why would we need one?". He and I talked about the advantages from a logistical and legal viewpoint of his wife having a permit, even if she doesn't shoot. Apparently it sunk in, because she got her permit.

He called me Friday, his wife wants her own handgun. So we talked briefly about what he saw available in his area - and he went to the shop. I thought he was going to buy a P365; he came home with a Glock G43 for her.

I've got one too.
Says it's too dangerous to keep ammo in the house with the guns.
The maybe one time a year he goes to the range with his FIL , he buys a box or two and shoots it up.
Hasn't asked me for any .
This is exactly what the guy told me when I asked why he had no ammo.
Afraid to keep a gun and ammo in the same house. Has a young daughter.
Well. lock it up and teach the child about firearms and safety.
They think scaring somebody with an unloaded gun is enough. And that is a very false security

Back
Top Bottom